Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic Warm-up & Arm Stretching

Baseball Family,

We are hosting a two month long high school baseball camp. We will have sessions twice a week for an hour and a half each. I have not formal training in physical education. However, I have been enlisted in the U.S. Army for 10+ year. I understand the basic concepts of physical training, and ballistic stretching. This militaristic physical training regime would not fit a high school baseball session. I was wondering if anyone could assist me in creating a dynamic warm-up, and arm stretching regime. I have compiled a list of exercises (From the internet of course) of what I think would be acceptable for a quick warm-up, and stretch prior to the sessions. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dynamic Warm-up
    - Side Arm Swings w/ Skips
    - Front Arm Swings w/ Skips
    - Lunges w/ Twists
    - Reverse Lunges w/ Twists
    - Knee Pulls to High Knees
    - Quad Pulls to Butt Kicks
    - Lead-off Hamstring Stretch
    - Carioca Quick Feet
    - Carioca High Knees
    - Sprint, Back Pedal, Turn & Sprint

Basic Arm Stretches
    - Partner Assisted Shoulder Raises
    - Partner Assisted Elbow Back
    - Partner Assisted Elbow Forward
    - Palm Up Circles (Front & Back)
    - Arm Crossover
    - Back Touch
    - YTWL

Originally posted by MD Diamond Sports View Post
    Baseball Family,

We are hosting a two month long high school baseball camp. We will have sessions twice a week for an hour and a half each. I have not formal training in physical education. However, I have been enlisted in the U.S. Army for 10+ year. I understand the basic concepts of physical training, and ballistic stretching. This militaristic physical training regime would not fit a high school baseball session. I was wondering if anyone could assist me in creating a dynamic warm-up, and arm stretching regime. I have compiled a list of exercises (From the internet of course) of what I think would be acceptable for a quick warm-up, and stretch prior to the sessions. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dynamic Warm-up
    - Lunges w/ Twists
    - Carioca Quick Feet
    - Carioca High Knees

Basic Arm Stretches
    - Arm Crossover
    - Back Touch
    - YTWL
    The stretches are unnecessary.

Add in some progressive long toss and people will be warmed up just fine.
    Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
      The stretches are unnecessary.

Add in some progressive long toss and people will be warmed up just fine.
      There is one slight problem with this. There will be 50+ high school players per night , and it is being held in an indoor soccer facility. There is snow here during these two month. I totally understand the progressive long toss, and wish we could. The player's arm strength will need to be worked on during preseason practices. The best we can do during this months is loosen their arms, and work on control.

Comment

There is one slight problem with this. There will be 50+ high school players per night , and it is being held in an indoor soccer facility. There is snow here during these two month. I totally understand the progressive long toss, and wish we could. The player's arm strength will need to be worked on during preseason practices. The best we can do during this months is loosen their arms, and work on control.
        The dynamic warm up you have seems fine. Shouldn't take that long. The arm stretches are fine. Bands would be better but I understand your space and time restraints. Instead of the stretches you can add in partner assisted arm resistant warm ups. Rotator series just like using a band but the partner is supplying the resistance. As far as stretching the arm. I generally let them do that on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by HYP View Post
          The dynamic warm up you have seems fine. Shouldn't take that long. The arm stretches are fine. Bands would be better but I understand your space and time restraints. Instead of the stretches you can add in partner assisted arm resistant warm ups. Rotator series just like using a band but the partner is supplying the resistance. As far as stretching the arm. I generally let them do that on their own.
          Thanks for the input. There will be band exercises, but mostly for the pitchers. Bands will not be an every session occurrence, however.

Comment

HYP, believe it or not, we did the partner assisted resistance way back in the day when I played college ball. Ok so I use the term "played" loosely. LOL! We called them "Buddy Drills" as we had a who rotation of those exercises to do to get ready to throw.
            Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
              HYP, believe it or not, we did the partner assisted resistance way back in the day when I played college ball. Ok so I use the term "played" loosely. LOL! We called them "Buddy Drills" as we had a who rotation of those exercises to do to get ready to throw.
              we still do them every day in practice. They work great. No arm injuries since we have been doing them. In fact, I have been there for 6 years and we have always done dynamic warm up, bands and partner assisted arm strengthening and have not had one injury. Knock on wood.

Comment

MD,
                I apologize in advance for the negativity and cynicism of my response.

I am very skeptical of baseball camps, etc., that include anything more than the bare minimum of warm-ups/calisthenics/etc. in their workouts. To me, it's cheap filler.

With large groups (and especially in a confined space) it's darned near impossible--and darned hard work-- to run a baseball workout that keeps participants relatively busy while adding meaningfully to their baseball skills....but it's easy to keep everybody busy doing mass warm-ups/calisthenics.

By the same token, I'm skeptical of HS baseball programs that include a lot of running in their practices. The players run while the coaches spit seeds and discuss their golf game. It's the equivalent of schoolteachers back in the day who would show films in the classroom because....they could read their newspaper at the desk for an hour.

Whereas, being in charge of what I consider to be a "real" baseball practice (or camp workout) for 2-plus hours is very hard work.
                Last edited by skipper5; 01-05-2013, 03:38 AM.
                Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
                  MD,
                  I apologize in advance for the negativity and cynicism of my response.

I am very skeptical of baseball camps, etc., that include anything more than the bare minimum of warm-ups/calisthenics/etc. in their workouts. To me, it's cheap filler.

With large groups (and especially in a confined space) it's darned near impossible--and darned hard work-- to run a baseball workout that keeps participants relatively busy while adding meaningfully to their baseball skills....but it's easy to keep everybody busy doing mass warm-ups/calisthenics.

By the same token, I'm skeptical of HS baseball programs that include a lot of running in their practices. The players run while the coaches spit seeds and discuss their golf game. It's the equivalent of schoolteachers back in the day who would show films in the classroom because....they could read their newspaper at the desk for an hour.

Whereas, being in charge of what I consider to be a "real" baseball practice (or camp workout) for 2-plus hours is very hard work.
                  Skip - Thank you for your response. However, I do not understand the point of it. Can you please explain what you were getting at? Should we not workout before a session? Just do the bare minimum workout? Not get the players into shape during the preseason with wind sprints, and so on? BTW, we have enough instructors, and room to split the group into two, or three. Once we get into the skills portion of the sessions it will be smaller groups.

Comment

Skip - Should we not workout before a session? Just do the bare minimum workout? Not get the players into shape during the preseason with wind sprints, and so on? BTW, we have enough instructors, and room to split the group into two, or three. Once we get into the skills portion of the sessions it will be smaller groups.
                    MD,
                    I do think a 10 min. warm-up (not 11 min.) is warranted, followed by highly-focused baseball-specific activities.
                    Beyond 10 min, from a cost-benefit standpoint, it's not clear to me why anyone would pay good money for their son to do supervised wind-sprints, and so on.
                    I'm stepping off the soap-box, and will cease hi-jacking this thread.
                    Skip

Comment

MD,
                      I do think a 10 min. warm-up (not 11 min.) is warranted, followed by highly-focused baseball-specific activities.
                      Beyond 10 min, from a cost-benefit standpoint, it's not clear to me why anyone would pay good money for their son to do supervised wind-sprints, and so on.
                      I completely understand your view on warm-ups. Just to throw out another piece of info, I am providing this service free of charge. The intent of these sessions are more geared towards getting into baseball shape for high school ball. However, there will be plenty of instruction as well.

Comment

I completely understand your view on warm-ups. Just to throw out another piece of info, I am providing this service free of charge. The intent of these sessions are more geared towards getting into baseball shape for high school ball. However, there will be plenty of instruction as well.
                        I think he thinks you are talking about a one week paid Baseball camp and not a HS preparation. one week is too short for any physical Adaptation so I think it would make sense to concentrate on Baseball skills to get anything out of it.
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

MD,
                          What if every dynamic warm up drill you did was baseball specific? What if they were all done to improve speed and agility? The result is not just warming up but creating good habits and working on coordination and footwork. BTW, when our players run. We run with them. We are a team, from the bottom to the top. No standing around and spitting seeds. Just dripping sweat and comradeship.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                            I think he thinks you are talking about a one week paid Baseball camp and not a HS preparation. one week is too short for any physical Adaptation so I think it would make sense to concentrate on Baseball skills to get anything out of it.
                            I believe that dynamic warm ups should be a part of everything. Free camp, paid camp, one day clinic, whatever. You are teaching young minds good habits. Also, how can I expect a kid doing a drill to have an explosive crossover if he is not prepared to make it? Extend the camp times if need be but learning how to prepare is an important part of learning the game. It is not only a physical thing it is a mental routine. A way to prepare your body and mind to play the game.

Comment

Baseball Family,

Dynamic Warm-up
                              - Lunges w/ Twists
                              - Carioca Quick Feet
                              - Carioca High Knees

Basic Arm Stretches
                              - Arm Crossover
                              - Back Touch
                              - YTWL
                              The exercises are all fine. Skip's point is valid as well. It all depends upon your overall scheme. Personally, i would keep the warm-up very brief, maybe limited to some simple dynamic exercises. You want the kids to come back and you don't want to be spending a lot of time explaining how to do warm up exercises. Brief dynamics, split up in to groups, and keep them moving. Evaluate your talent levels. Keep it fun and competitive and make them want to come back. Re-evaluate after the first 2 sessions.
                              Major Figure

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X