Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son's 7th grade team requires -3 bats, but 13U can swing a -10...a few questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son's 7th grade team requires -3 bats, but 13U can swing a -10...a few questions.

I'm in the process of exploring new bats for my 13 year old son. He will be playing on the local 7th grade baseball team and a 13U travel team this year. The 7th grade team requires -3 bats; however, his travel team's league and tournaments allow -10 bats. My son has used a -10 (30/20) bat for the past two travel seasons. The upcoming 7th grade season is short...15-20 games. The travel season will be 50-60 games. The travel team just started indoor practice...hitting practice twice a week. The 7th grade team will begin practice the first of March. I need some advice on what bats to purchase. I need to act quickly since travel practice has just started. I realize there are a couple of routes to take...perhaps purchase one -3 bat for both team's season or two bats, one -3 for the 7th grade season and one lighter bat (maybe -5?) for the travel season. Just to give you an idea about my son...he is 5-2 and 105 lbs and very athletic/fit. He is also a three-sport athlete, was starting QB on his 7th grade football team this past season and is currently a starter on his 7th grade basketball team. Your thoughts will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by racin06; 01-05-2013, 04:01 PM.

Our middle school had to play by high school rules and use -3s. That summer in 13u none of my players wanted to use "baby" bats. Only the weak 13u teams used bats that weren't -3. Athletic and fit doesn't mean adequate bat speed.

Comment

Get a -5 for travel and a -3 for 7 th grade team. My son was swinging a -5 & -3 as a 12u. Now as a 13 he only swings the -3 and wood bats

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
        Our middle school had to play by high school rules and use -3s. That summer in 13u none of my players wanted to use "baby" bats. Only the weak 13u teams used bats that weren't -3. Athletic and fit doesn't mean adequate bat speed.
        So I'm assuming you are saying to go with a -3 both both team's. OK. Regarding athletic and fit, yes, that doesn't guarantee good bat speed, but I see many more fit players with good bat speed versus unfit and chubby. However, not to get a debate going...we could probably debate the subject the entire evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
          Get a -5 for travel and a -3 for 7 th grade team. My son was swinging a -5 & -3 as a 12u. Now as a 13 he only swings the -3 and wood bats
          Ditto
          I would spend the least amount on the -3 if he can't borrow one.

Comment

Originally posted by racin06 View Post
            I'm in the process of exploring new bats for my 13 year old son. He will be playing on the local 7th grade baseball team and a 13U travel team this year. The 7th grade team requires -3 bats; however, his travel team's league and tournaments allow -10 bats. My son has used a -10 (30/20) bat for the past two travel seasons. The upcoming 7th grade season is short...15-20 games. The travel season will be 50-60 games. The travel team just started indoor practice...hitting practice twice a week. The 7th grade team will begin practice the first of March. I need some advice on what bats to purchase. I need to act quickly since travel practice has just started. I realize there are a couple of routes to take...perhaps purchase one -3 bat for both team's season or two bats, one -3 for the 7th grade season and one lighter bat (maybe -5?) for the travel season. Just to give you an idea about my son...he is 5-2 and 105 lbs and very athletic/fit. He is also a three-sport athlete, was starting QB on his 7th grade football team this past season and is currently a starter on his 7th grade basketball team. Your thoughts will be much appreciated.
            I just want to start out by saying that is a crap ton of games for a 13 year old. I hope the travel team has many pitchers so the coach does not kill some kid's arm. Now, to the question. You can find -3 bats that might suffice with even weight distribution. Let your son swing the bats and see what he thinks. You will be able to tell what is to heavy, and what is not. I could not give a definitive answer to this questions because I have not seen your son swing a bat. If you send me some videos of him swinging several bats, I will be able to assist with the evaluation. Other than that it is going to be up to your son what feels good. Just let him know it is acceptable to swing a -5.

Comment

My opinion is as follows: use the heaviest bat you can hit the ball regularly with. I hate the -8,-9,-10, and -12 bats that plague Little League. I hate the big barrel versions of those even more. You can swing with your arms with those bats. Use a heavier bat (like a -3) and it's tougher to use the arms. Now, use a 35 in, 35 oz bat, and you're almost forced to use the body.

Comment

I would be suspect of a league using -10's for U13.
                "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                  Around here 7th and 8th grade select are -5.
                  Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                    I hear what you're saying, Jake, but keep in mind, for 13-15 yr.-olds the Babe Ruth League allows so-called Sr. League bats, some of which are -12.
                    Skip

Comment

Just stick with -3 bat. I don't understand the fear of using drop 3. At age 13 the primary goal is development so even if he has to struggle with it at the beginning what's the big deal? My son started using drop 3 when he was 12 yo at 4 ft 10 and 80 pounds.

Comment

I would suggest going to a drop -5 at 13 then go to a drop -3 one year prior to getting into HS where drop -3 BBCOR is required. If you go to a drop -3 from a drop -10 it's a tough transition and could be discouraging for a young player.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
                          Around here 7th and 8th grade select are -5.
                          Little League requires -3 BBCOR for Junior & Senior League. My son's select team is using -3 BBCOR. He is a 13U 8th grader with most of his squad being 14U.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
                            Little League requires -3 BBCOR for Junior & Senior League.
                            Unless I'm reading it wrong, the LL website doesn't indicate a requirement of -3BBCOR for Juniors, except for composite-barreled bats.

"Intermediate (50-70) Division and Junior League

It shall not be more than 34 inches in length; nor more than 2 5/8 inches in diameter, and if wood, not less than fifteen-sixteenths (15/16) inches in diameter (7/8 inch for bats less than 30”) at its smallest part. All composite barrel bats shall meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard, and such bats shall be so labeled with a silkscreen or other permanent certification mark. The certification mark shall be rectangular, a minimum of a half-inch on each side and located on the barrel of the bat in any contrasting color."
                            Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
                              Unless I'm reading it wrong, the LL website doesn't indicate a requirement of -3BBCOR for Juniors, except for composite-barreled bats.

"Intermediate (50-70) Division and Junior League

It shall not be more than 34 inches in length; nor more than 2 5/8 inches in diameter, and if wood, not less than fifteen-sixteenths (15/16) inches in diameter (7/8 inch for bats less than 30”) at its smallest part. All composite barrel bats shall meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard, and such bats shall be so labeled with a silkscreen or other permanent certification mark. The certification mark shall be rectangular, a minimum of a half-inch on each side and located on the barrel of the bat in any contrasting color."
                              BBCOR only come in -3.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X