Show the ball to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show the ball to...

I have read on this site about showing the ball to the 3rd/SS so I asked a local young pitching coach that question. He teaches pitching to kids here from LL to HS/College.

Here is his response.

Let me rephrase it… you teach ball to CF and their hand will naturally have around 45 degree angle. If you teach point to 3rd, their hand will want to go further causing their hand to wrap around the ball…

The hand will want to do what feels natural. For those who are “tight” they will tend to have an angle more towards 3rd. for those who are lose with their arm will tend to have a CF location.

You will notice that most closers have a 3rd location and starters will have more of a CF angle

I teach showing the ball to CF. I haven’t seen many people that teach showing the ball to 3rd/SS (this would cause you to wrap/cuff the ball which could lead to stress on the elbow)

agree/disagree?

At what point are you supposed to be "showing the ball"?

IMO, teach a good hands break and "show the ball" is no longer a necessary teach...

Comment

I would worry more about the forearm at foot plant. It should be 90 deg or less - "_|" or ">", not "_/". Usually, the ball faces 2B when you "_/", but not always.
      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by va4man View Post
        I have read on this site about showing the ball to the 3rd/SS so I asked a local young pitching coach that question. He teaches pitching to kids here from LL to HS/College.

Here is his response.

Let me rephrase it… you teach ball to CF and their hand will naturally have around 45 degree angle. If you teach point to 3rd, their hand will want to go further causing their hand to wrap around the ball…

The hand will want to do what feels natural. For those who are “tight” they will tend to have an angle more towards 3rd. for those who are lose with their arm will tend to have a CF location.

You will notice that most closers have a 3rd location and starters will have more of a CF angle

I teach showing the ball to CF. I haven’t seen many people that teach showing the ball to 3rd/SS (this would cause you to wrap/cuff the ball which could lead to stress on the elbow)

agree/disagree?
        He's simply wrong.

Most of the greats show the ball to 3B. That includes starters and closers.

His explanation is nonsensical.

P.S. In my experience, showing the ball to CF introduces much more tension than showing the ball to 3B, which is why most people naturally show the ball to 3B.
        Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

Comment

Teaching to show the ball to cf or ss is the pitching equivalent to "lining up the knocking knuckles." A lot of coaches (especially former pros) teach it even though they, and almost all high level players, don't do it. Look at photos and video. The vast majority "show" the ball to 3B.

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
            I would worry more about the forearm at foot plant. It should be 90 deg or less - "_|" or ">", not "_/". Usually, the ball faces 2B when you "_/", but not always.
            Interesting. What is the reasoning behind this? In thinking of my son's throwing motion, he is probably a _/. Although I can't name them off the top of my hand, I thought there were plenty of examples of successful professional pitchers using each of these 3 arm slots.

Comment

Originally posted by workinprogress View Post
              In thinking of my son's throwing motion, he is probably a _/. Although I can't name them off the top of my hand, I thought there were plenty of examples of successful professional pitchers using each of these 3 arm slots.
              I would video him before you assume what he's doing. (This is not what's referred to as 'arm slot')
              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by workinprogress View Post
                Interesting. What is the reasoning behind this? In thinking of my son's throwing motion, he is probably a _/. Although I can't name them off the top of my hand, I thought there were plenty of examples of successful professional pitchers using each of these 3 arm slots.

having an angle of greater than 90 degrees must not be always bad. can can throw very effectively using a 100-110 degree angle. however too much of an open arm angle can lead to sling the ball with the whole arm (like a discus thrower or cricket bowler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyqmbyArlQo) rather then using a segmented motion (first elbow, then hand). this is a problem with many young kids. they need to learn the forearm whip and the bent arm makes it easier to use it. of course if you have enough ER flexibility in the shoulder you can still have an equally as important forearm whip but most kids who have a nearly straight arm will just sling the ball with a straight arm.
                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

It should be more towards third. However, if you fail to get the ball behind the body, it doesn't matter where you face the ball.

Comment

Disagree....
                    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by pstein View Post
                      It should be more towards third. However, if you fail to get the ball behind the body, it doesn't matter where you face the ball.
                      marshall doesn't want the ball to be behind the acromial line
                      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                        Disagree....
                        Jake, I believe the ball facing towards 2nd/CF is a symptom of improperly breaking the hands. Teach a pitcher to break his hands correctly, and the ball will face towards third.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X