Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing Talent.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Choosing Talent.....

    Thinking that Sparks' thread is getting a bit derailed, thought I'd start a new one regarding a HS coach's decision(s) when putting a team together to trot out onto the field...but rather than using baseball, thought I'd use something else basically as subjective......a rock band.

    So with that, here are your roster categories, from which to put together your "starting line up". Pick one from each "position" to put together your "team". You've even got a spot for a "ringer" that you can bring in for your team if you like....something that HS coaches are not afforded, but there for your dream "all-league" team just for the heck of it.

    Note: All "players" are from groups, and not solo artists, so Elvis, Sinatra, Bennett, Jackson, Wonder, and similar are not an option....for a reason to be discussed later.

    Male Vocals
    1. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    2. Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
    3. Steve Perry (Journey)
    4. Freddie Mercury (Queen)
    5. Bon Scott/Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
    6. Your personal choice not on the list....


    Female Vocals
    1. Grace Slick (Jefferson Starship/Airplane)
    2. Ann Wilson (Heart)
    3. Debbie Harry (Blondie)
    4. Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac)
    5. Hayley Williams (Paramore)
    6. Your personal choice not on the list....


    Drummers
    1. Keith Moon (The Who)
    2. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
    3. Alex Van Halen (Van Halen)
    4. Phil Collins (Genesis)
    5. Kenny Aronoff ( John Mellencamp, The Smashing Pumpkins, Bob Seger, John Fogerty.....goes on and on)
    6. Your personal choice not on the list....


    Lead Guitar
    1. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
    2. David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
    3. Carlos Santana (Santana)
    4. Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
    5. Eric Clapton (The Yardbirds)
    6. Your personal choice not on the list....


    Bass Guitar
    1. John Entwistle (The Who)
    2. Paul McCartney (The Beatles)
    3. John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)
    4. Larry Graham (Sly & The Family Stone)
    5. Leon Wilkeson (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
    6. Your personal choice not on the list....


    OK, there's your 25 person "roster" to put out your "starting five".....

    Now I'm guessing that since all of us are music aficionados (just guessing here ), and excellent judges of both baseball and music talent, all of our lineups should be the same.....no? :noidea

    But in the strange occurrence that they're not all the same....then remember, if you're not starting or playing a "kid", his/her parent(s) are going to be wanting to know why, so I hope that you have a good answer for them.

    Best of lucK.....or you can explain why this scenario is not the same in nature or similarity.
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

  • #2
    Buh Bye BBF!
    Last edited by NoonTime; 11-07-2013, 07:15 PM.
    @noontimegifs

    Comment


    • #3
      Plant
      Wilson
      Collins
      Clapton
      McCartney

      That would give me a very talented group of musicians, but it would also give me the best songwriting group of all times.

      Comment


      • #4
        Plant
        Nicks
        Keith Carlock
        Warren Haynes
        Larry Graham

        My ringer is Frank Zappa because he can fill several positions.

        Comment


        • #5
          Perry

          Nicks

          Ringo Starr

          Knopfler

          Mccartney

          Comment


          • #6
            Wouldn't this be more like the All Stars line up of MLB?

            Maybe the top 10 of of the last three seasons on American Idol.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by real green View Post
              Wouldn't this be more like the All Stars line up of MLB?

              Maybe the top 10 of of the last three seasons on American Idol.
              Ah, good point "green".....would the "All Star" lineup be as good as a team, than any of them with their individual teams.

              IOWs, do team that have the funds to pay to put together "All Star" teams (Yankees, Angels....) always succeed in being the best team out there...or does chemistry and dynamics play a bigger part than perceived "talent"?
              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by NoonTime View Post
                Is that a dog barking in the background? I keep hearing, "AARP... AARP... AARP"!!!
                Hahaha....

                I was afraid if I wrote Chris Cornell, Brittany Howard, Dave Grohl, Jack White, and Flea.....know one would know who the heck I was talking about.

                Now how's that for a "team"?
                In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

                Comment


                • #9
                  Lee
                  Lifeson
                  Peart

                  The other positions are unnecessary.
                  WAR EAGLE!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nice post MV! The assumption here is that putting together a "supergroup" will result in the chemistry needed to be a a Hall of Fame band. One of the things that made Zeppelin great was chemistry; take away one component and things just don't sound the same (imagine Jagger using the lyrics for "Miss You" in place of Plant's for "Kashmir"). The "supergroup" concept didn't result in Rock Hall of Fame groups for Velvet Revolver or The Traveling Wilburys (although both put out some excellent songs).
                    I think any solid coach will, likewise, consider team chemistry
                    Last edited by Thor; 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Bruno Mars - Male Vocalist
                      Shakira - Female Vocalist
                      Bun E Carlos (Cheap Trick) - Drummer
                      Neil Schon (Journey) - Lead Guitarist
                      Randy Jackson - Bassist

                      Guitarist honorable mention - Steve Lukather
                      Bassists - How did Les Claypool and Vic Wooten not make the original list?
                      Last edited by The Uncoach; 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM. Reason: add'l comments

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Robert Plant - Male Vocalist
                        Pat Benetar - Female Vocalist (who opened up for Plant when I saw him at Red Rocks)
                        Jimmy Page - Guitar (Gilmore makes backup)
                        Bass - Geddy Lee
                        Drums - Neil Pert

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by The Flush View Post
                          Lee
                          Lifeson
                          Peart

                          The other positions are unnecessary.

                          This poster does have a good point

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                            Thinking that Sparks' thread is getting a bit derailed, thought I'd start a new one regarding a HS coach's decision(s) when putting a team together to trot out onto the field...but rather than using baseball, thought I'd use something else basically as subjective......a rock band.

                            So with that, here are your roster categories, from which to put together your "starting line up". Pick one from each "position" to put together your "team". You've even got a spot for a "ringer" that you can bring in for your team if you like....something that HS coaches are not afforded, but there for your dream "all-league" team just for the heck of it.

                            Note: All "players" are from groups, and not solo artists, so Elvis, Sinatra, Bennett, Jackson, Wonder, and similar are not an option....for a reason to be discussed later.

                            Male Vocals
                            1. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
                            2. Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
                            3. Steve Perry (Journey)
                            4. Freddie Mercury (Queen)
                            5. Bon Scott/Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
                            6. Your personal choice not on the list....


                            Female Vocals
                            1. Grace Slick (Jefferson Starship/Airplane)
                            2. Ann Wilson (Heart)
                            3. Debbie Harry (Blondie)
                            4. Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac)
                            5. Hayley Williams (Paramore)
                            6. Your personal choice not on the list....


                            Drummers
                            1. Keith Moon (The Who)
                            2. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
                            3. Alex Van Halen (Van Halen)
                            4. Phil Collins (Genesis)
                            5. Kenny Aronoff ( John Mellencamp, The Smashing Pumpkins, Bob Seger, John Fogerty.....goes on and on)
                            6. Your personal choice not on the list....


                            Lead Guitar
                            1. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
                            2. David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
                            3. Carlos Santana (Santana)
                            4. Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
                            5. Eric Clapton (The Yardbirds)
                            6. Your personal choice not on the list....


                            Bass Guitar
                            1. John Entwistle (The Who)
                            2. Paul McCartney (The Beatles)
                            3. John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)
                            4. Larry Graham (Sly & The Family Stone)
                            5. Leon Wilkeson (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
                            6. Your personal choice not on the list....


                            OK, there's your 25 person "roster" to put out your "starting five".....

                            Now I'm guessing that since all of us are music aficionados (just guessing here ), and excellent judges of both baseball and music talent, all of our lineups should be the same.....no? :noidea

                            But in the strange occurrence that they're not all the same....then remember, if you're not starting or playing a "kid", his/her parent(s) are going to be wanting to know why, so I hope that you have a good answer for them.

                            Best of lucK.....or you can explain why this scenario is not the same in nature or similarity.
                            I know you're screwing with us but here you go:

                            Male vocalist:
                            John Lydon (Johnny Rotten)

                            Female Vocalist:
                            Mia Zapata (The Gits)

                            Drummer:
                            Kieth Moon

                            Lead Guitar:
                            Steve Vai

                            Rhythm Guitar:
                            Jeff Beck

                            Bass Guitar:
                            John Entwistle

                            Wild Card tough call:

                            Sid Vicous or Dweezil Zappa
                            Last edited by HYP; 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HYP View Post
                              I know you're screwing with us but here you go:
                              Funny thing, I wasn't really screwing with anyone. All everyone did, was prove exactly what I wanted to point out....that "talent", regardless of whether that of musicians, or HS baseball players, is most time, very subjective.

                              What might be a "talented" drummer, or HS 2nd baseman to me.....may not be who someone else would choose for their rock-and-rock, or HS baseball "team(s)".

                              And btw, WFT.....Dweezil Zappa over his dad??
                              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X