This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask The Umpire

I've received permission from Bob (aka, "bluezebra") when I'd asked him to host this thread. He's been an umpire in various amateur leagues for 47 years, has watched baseball for 60 years. If you have any questions about umpiring and his thoughts on baseball, please ask in this thread.

Here are Bob's credentials:
    • I began in Chicago in 1956, and continued when I moved to Southern California in 1963. Started doing Little League, like about everyone else.
    • Baseball: LL, most other Youth Leagues, Parks & Rec, adult men's, American Legion, high school, etc.
    • I formed a crew, and worked three of the Silver Bullets (women's team) games (first one was on ESPN) against a local men's team, at Mavericks Stadium (Class A, California League).
    • Got another crew together to work an exhibition game between the Korean National Team (pre-1996 Olympics) and the Mavericks.
    • Also worked a local high school All-Star Game.
    • Softball: Fast pitch, Youth leagues, adult men, adult women, high school (was BU for LA City AAAA Semi-Final Game), college, Parks & Rec.
    • Slow Pitch, Adult men, adult women, high school, co-ed, Parks & Rec.
    • Since 1997, I keep the batting stats for the message board operator at Mavericks Stadium (re-named Stater Bros. Stadium).
    • Since 2000, I write a sports column for a local weekly newspaper chain. I cover high school, community college, and the Mavericks.

Thank you in advance for your participation and encouragement.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Originally posted by Jake Patterson
    I feel this is a great idea so I am going to sticky it here for a while.
    Jake
    Here are my qualifications as an umpire;

Umpire for 26 years. Started with adult softball then went to youth baseball.

I work Varsity High School baseball and Little League. Mostly Little League (all divisions.)

I worked the 1996 JR League Western Regionals, 1999 SR League Western Regionals and 2 LL Division (State) tournaments and a SR League (State). Many sectionals at all divisions of LL and countless District tournament games.

Former Chief umpire for CA District 3, for 4 years, 1993 thru 1996.

Chief umpire for Novato Little League, 1991 and 1992, and 1997 thru 2002.

Started umpiring in 1980 in adult softball.
    Have umpired in LL since 1985.

Have a large library of books on rules and umpiring and have been to 2 training camps taught by MLB pro umpires, and to the LL WR training school and rules clinics.

I have a website that provides answers to many questions and I have a book and a DVD that I sell.

http://baseball-rules.com

Comment

For all who are new.... I have Jim's (jbooth) book Baseball Rules in Plain English and have found it a wealth of information .... and easy to read.
      Jake
      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by jbooth View Post
        Here are my qualifications as an umpire;

I work Varsity High School baseball and Little League. Mostly Little League (all divisions.)

I worked the 1996 JR League Western Regionals, 1999 SR League Western Regionals and 2 LL Division (State) tournaments and a SR League (State). Many sectionals at all divisions of LL and countless District tournament games.

Former Chief umpire for CA District 3, for 4 years, 1993 thru 1996.

Chief umpire for Novato Little League, 1991 and 1992, and 1997 thru 2002.

Started umpiring in 1980 in adult softball.
        Have umpired in LL since 1985.

Have a large library of books on rules and umpiring and have been to 2 training camps taught by MLB pro umpires, and to the LL WR training school and rules clinics.

I have a website that provides answers to many questions and I have a book and a DVD that I sell.

http://baseball-rules.com

Jumped from the proverbial frying pan into the fire.

Bob

Comment

On a steal home from third, the pitcher steps off the rubber and throws home. Can the batter bunt the ball to protect the runner?

Comment

Sorry I missed the first few days of this thread.

I haven't nearly the experience of either Bob or Jim. About seven total years now, with a 25-year gap between my umpiring time. I've only worked Senior League (generally 7th and 8th graders) and now Little League here in the bee-yooooo-tiful Texas Hill Country. In fact, our fields are just a few hundred yards on the downstream side of the dam at Canyon Lake for those who might be familiar with the area. I have to watch myself at times that I don't get lost sightseeing while the game's in progress :blush:

One question I have for the two experienced umps in this thread has to do with the 'high tag.' This, in my opinion, is the toughest call I have to make on the field. There is no head-first sliding in Little League (except going back to the bag), so what happens for the most part is a kid slides into a bag and the throw pulls the fielder up the line a bit. On the slide plays my eyes are generally focused on the bag and the runner's feet, so it's difficult (for me) to watch the foot hitting the bag and see the tag up on the thigh or higher.

Is there a 'trick' to splitting my vision on this type of call or positioning that might help to see the play better?
            Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
            Astros Daily

Comment

Originally posted by dw8man View Post
              On a steal home from third, the pitcher steps off the rubber and throws home. Can the batter bunt the ball to protect the runner?
              Never mind, I think I found my own answer.

It looks like rule 6.06c would be in effect.

Comment

Never mind, I think I found my own answer.

It looks like rule 6.06c would be in effect.

That's correct. When the pitcher legally steps off the rubber he is no longer the pitcher, and it is a now a "throw" and not a "pitch." The batter cannot interfere with a throw.

Comment

Originally posted by captlid
                  Under what rulebook is the runner out if the catcher drops the ball?
                  In Little League it is rule 7.08a(3). The runner is out if he does not slide, or attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball, waiting to make a tag.

Comment

Yes. But that's interference by the batter. With less than two outs, the runner is out, and all other runners return to their base at the time of the pitch. With two outs, the batter is out.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by PopTop View Post
                      Sorry I missed the first few days of this thread.

I haven't nearly the experience of either Bob or Jim. About seven total years now, with a 25-year gap between my umpiring time. I've only worked Senior League (generally 7th and 8th graders) and now Little League here in the bee-yooooo-tiful Texas Hill Country. In fact, our fields are just a few hundred yards on the downstream side of the dam at Canyon Lake for those who might be familiar with the area. I have to watch myself at times that I don't get lost sightseeing while the game's in progress :blush:

One question I have for the two experienced umps in this thread has to do with the 'high tag.' This, in my opinion, is the toughest call I have to make on the field. There is no head-first sliding in Little League (except going back to the bag), so what happens for the most part is a kid slides into a bag and the throw pulls the fielder up the line a bit. On the slide plays my eyes are generally focused on the bag and the runner's feet, so it's difficult (for me) to watch the foot hitting the bag and see the tag up on the thigh or higher.

Is there a 'trick' to splitting my vision on this type of call or positioning that might help to see the play better?
                      Be sure to position yourself far enough from the play to get the entire picture, yet close enough to be sure of the tag.

I used to love when a runner or manager/coach would holler, "High tag, blue". No matter where the runner was. I was BU for a men's league game years ago, and called a runner out at 2B when the tag was on his shoulder.

"High tag, blue". "Yes it was. But he's still six feet from the base". I think that "High tag, blue", is in the first chapter of the Coach's Manual.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bbjunkie
                        Thanks blue. In the instance the ump called the kid out, but then said he didn't want to influence the outcome of the game and left him in the game. I was just about apoplectic. If there wasn't a possibility of influencing the outcome of a game, why have the rule? The kid was one of about 3 or 4 stud pitchers in the league.
                        HORRIBLE. The umpire doesn't influence the outcome of the game, the player, coach or manager does, by their action(s).

That ump is a wuss.

Bob

Comment

I have one for you all.

Is this a balk?

Pitch is trying to pick off runner at 2nd base. His back foot is touching the rubber. His lead foot does the up and steps to 2nd but does not throw the ball. I was always told if your touching the rubber you have to throw except to 3rd if your a right handed pitcher.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by bluezebra View Post
                            I think that "High tag, blue", is in the first chapter of the Coach's Manual.
                            Thanks for the advise. When working the field, I rarely come more than a few feet into the dirt. Maybe I should stay even another step back.

Bob or Jim, in your bazillion years of experience, what's the toughest call you've found to make?
                            Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
                            Astros Daily

Comment

Hitter running to first, 1B pulled off the bag with a bad throw, swipes a tag. 1BU blocked from view, but calls the runner out.

Question: Can the HPU over rule him?
                              "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                              - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X