Gloves - Flare Or Roll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloves - Flare Or Roll?

All the kids seem to like flare gloves these days. Me, I hate them - but, I'm 51 years old! Give me the roll, every time.

I few months back, a buddy of mine shared this on the question: The human hand. It curls inward, not outward. Stick with the roll.

What do you think?

Originally posted by BBSG View Post
    All the kids seem to like flare gloves these days. Me, I hate them - but, I'm 51 years old! Give me the roll, every time.

I few months back, a buddy of mine shared this on the question: The human hand. It curls inward, not outward. Stick with the roll.

What do you think?
    Flare is the way to go. They even have gloves that are pre flared. Gives you more area to catch the ball and easier to make the transfer. Son uses TPX pro flare glove. He has tried all of them, Rawlings HOH, pro preferred, wilson A2k, likes the flare the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Standballdad View Post
      Flare is the way to go. They even have gloves that are pre flared. Gives you more area to catch the ball and easier to make the transfer. Son uses TPX pro flare glove. He has tried all of them, Rawlings HOH, pro preferred, wilson A2k, likes the flare the best.
      Have to agree. My kids love the flare too. In fact I sit on the couch most nights working their gloves. One uses a HOH and the other an A2000. They don't come pre-flared but it's easy enough to do yourself.

Comment

I was always a roll guy but I like a slight flare now. I recently picked up a limited Don Mortons 12" TPX Pro Flare with the old school stiff Horween leather. Hopefully it'll be broken in before I die. I haven't stepped foot on a field in 2 years since I stopped playing slow pitch softball with buddies but what can I say? I have a thing for the leather.

My son's most recent glove I broke in with a slight flare but his next one I think he'll be able to break in himself to his liking. One night I let him play around with the Wilson custom glove builder just for fun. Then I ordered the glove he built for his birthday in January. He's gonna be psyched!
        Note: The above post is from a novice baseball father with about 3 years of casual hitting/baseball researching experience. At no point should any advice herein be taken as undebatable truth. :noidea:

Comment

I always was a slight 'roll' guy, but became confirmed when I saw Brooks Robinson's glove at the Hall of Fame, and the fingertips had a pronounced inward roll. My son hasn't played much middle infield, but when he was primarily an outfielder preferred a Ichiro-esque flare, as it was sort of a funnel to bring balls in. Of course, the purpose of the 'roll' is to keep the ball from going back out, and he never had a problem with that in the outfield.

So, in short, I'd say it's largely a question of whether the glove is for infield (3B, SS and 2B) play, or outfield. For pitchers, it's a toss-up. When my son became a pitcher only we literally had battles where he'd flare the tips and then, when he went to bed, I'd put a little goop along the last knuckle of the finger area and roll the tips of the glove. Since he's never committed a fielding error as a pitcher, he's capitulated to my glove maintenance regimen.
          sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

I have always been a roll guy. I remember getting my first A2000 my freshman year in high school and working that bad boy. Then getting the Gold Glove model that Jeter used when that came out for college ball and working on that. That glove was perfection and I made that thing last for years before I finally had to let it go with all the rips in it.

But I do so kids using gloves flared out now. I didn't even know that was the trend. I just thought no one had taught them to roll their glove yet.

Comment

Flare... The Doyle Brothers first showed me this years ago and I've been breaking them in that way since...
              I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
                Flare... The Doyle Brothers first showed me this years ago and I've been breaking them in that way since...
                Learned it from the same source. Been doing it ever since and teaching it to my MIF'ers.

Comment

The question should be what option gives you the best opportunity to catch the ball? Just looking at the geometry and deflection angles off the glove I can't see how a flared thumb or finger helps.
                  "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                  - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                    The question should be what option gives you the best opportunity to catch the ball? Just looking at the geometry and deflection angles off the glove I can't see how a flared thumb or finger helps.
                    Think of it as a funnel.

Comment

Think of it as a funnel.
                      I'd rather think of it in terms of angles of deflection. Unless of course there is studies available...
                      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Has anyone applied the Hanson Principle here?
                        efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Here's a flare guy... He's not too bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CQ-VTMn2DU

Comment

Think of it as a funnel.
                            The problem I have is that I don't understand how this will help. If it hits the flared parts, is the glove so rigid that the ball won't bend the glove or the leather? Does it really work that well? I am asking because I don't know. I'm a roll guy and my boys aren't old enough or concerned enough to be any different. I'm sure I will lose out to whatever their friends are doing when they start to care.

Comment

Originally posted by heretolearn View Post
                              The problem I have is that I don't understand how this will help. If it hits the flared parts, is the glove so rigid that the ball won't bend the glove or the leather? Does it really work that well? I am asking because I don't know. I'm a roll guy and my boys aren't old enough or concerned enough to be any different. I'm sure I will lose out to whatever their friends are doing when they start to care.
                              I think it's all personal preference, sort of like if you stick your index finger out of your glove our not. I think there's little to any advantage of either...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X