Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catcher stepping on a bat intentionally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catcher stepping on a bat intentionally?

Has anyone ever played against a catcher that intentionally stepped on the barrel of a bat after a batter put the ball in play? My son said the catcher of one of the the teams we played we played on Sunday did it 5 or 6 times during the game. I was skeptical, but i happened to have my camera at the ballpark that day and videoed a couple of my son's at bats and sure enough, it sure looks like the kid intentionally stands on the barrel of my son's bat and lets his cleat slide off it one time. I checked the bat and there sure seem to be two deep gouge marks made by metal cleats. I gotta say im pretty riled up right now...

Is this really a thing? Am, i really going to have to fight some other parent or coach because some kid went out of his way to break my kids bat?

I wasnt going to post the video since its a kid, but screw that. Thats intentional.

ATTACH=CONFIG]140344[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files

Comment

Never saw this... If it's intentional, then it's pretty bush league...
      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Pretty bad sportsmanship for sure. I don't know a coach that wouldn't address that with some pine time and a lot of running. I would track down the coaches email and just give them the info. Hopefully it would be handled correctly. I wouldn't let a kid being a punk get me worked up. Just take it as a learning moment.

Comment

Originally posted by real green View Post
          Pretty bad sportsmanship for sure. I don't know a coach that wouldn't address that with some pine time and a lot of running. I would track down the coaches email and just give them the info. Hopefully it would be handled correctly. I wouldn't let a kid being a punk get me worked up. Just take it as a learning moment.
          I doubt it...the coaches acted like jackasses all weekend, barreling out of the dugout repeatedly to argue close calls and getting into jawing matches with opposing couches. They bullied the umpires all weekend, repeatedly arguing balls and strikes until the home plate umpire was giving their pitcher calls 6 inches off the plate as long as he catcher set up there and the pitcher hit the mitt. Which he did. A lot. After our game (the championship game) which we lost 6-5, their kids dumped their watercooler on their coach and they all ran around celebrating like theyd won the LLWS. All their parents came on the field and took a ton of pics. It wasnt obnoxious or anything. It was just...misplaced? I mean it was just some random 6 or 7 team 14U USSSA tournament. And frankly there were only 2 really good teams in it, them and us.

The worst part is even with all that the game was fantastic. The game was played almost flawlessly. Their guy pitched like a champ and after our starter faltered giving up a couple in the first and then walking the first two batters of the second , our next guy up pitched his own butt off. We hit. They hit. We fielded. They fielded. It was just an awesome awesome game, even though we lost. I guess im still just shocked that at this age there are still teams worried about winning rings and two dollar trophies.

EDIT: Also the lines about fighting was just a joke...im like the least confrontational person in the world. Good thing im enormous or i probably would have gotten my butt kicked every day in HS
          Last edited by motherlode; 07-01-2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I bet his parents are proud.

Comment

Kid's probably a psycho.

Comment

plunk him.

Comment

Looks to me as though the catcher is placing the bat where he knows it is in case of a play so he won't get tangled up in it. The on deck batter should have moved it out of the way. I guess if he had kicked it out of the way folks would have been adder yet. The amount of pressure exerted with his foot was negligible and does not appear to me that it would make the gouge marks described. Is it possible the batter knocked some dirt of of his spikes as is commonly done?
                  Last edited by daque; 07-01-2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Wow. Never seen that before. Pretty pathetic. Sad to say but he probably got the idea from one of his coaches based on their behavior. If your son plays them again I'd bring it to the umpire's attention before the game and let him know that if he sees it you'd like the kid ejected.

If I caught my son doing that there'd be hell to pay.
                    Note: The above post is from a novice baseball father with about 3 years of casual hitting/baseball researching experience. At no point should any advice herein be taken as undebatable truth. :noidea:

Comment

Originally posted by daque View Post
                      Looks to me as though the catcher is placing the bat where he knows it is in case of a play so he won't get tangled up in it. The on deck batter should have moved it out of the way. I guess if he had kicked it out of the way folks would have been adder yet.
                      Not a chance. Look at the way he puts all of his weight on it. Then stare at his cleats and look at the way he's going out of his way to dig his spikes into it. It seems pretty obvious to me that he's trying to damage the bat. Any catcher that's going to try to keep track of where the bat is would just kick it out of the way rather than take inventory of it with his foot.
                      Note: The above post is from a novice baseball father with about 3 years of casual hitting/baseball researching experience. At no point should any advice herein be taken as undebatable truth. :noidea:

Comment

Originally posted by daque View Post
                        Looks to me as though the catcher is placing the bat where he knows it is in case of a play so he won't get tangled up in it. The on deck batter should have moved it out of the way. I guess if he had kicked it out of the way folks would have been adder yet. The amount of pressure exerted with his foot was negligible and does not appear to me that it would make the gouge marks described. Is it possible the batter knocked some dirt of of his spikes as is commonly done?
                        Doing it once, maybe I would side with your statement. It could have definitely been just a simple accident as he is just trying to observe the space around him in case there is play at home, so to speak. But doing the same thing 5-6 times that sound intentionally to me. I would notify the umpire before the next game and I would make a comment to the opposing coaches that it has and will be filmed, in the event that he ruins the bat, he or the team will be expected to pay for the replacement (if it was damaged).

Comment

Originally posted by motherlode View Post
                          I doubt it...the coaches acted like jackasses all weekend, barreling out of the dugout repeatedly to argue close calls and getting into jawing matches with opposing couches.
                          I guess they weren't going to lay down for anybody!

HEYOOOO

Comment

It looks to me like he's trying to (subtly) position the bat optimally to block the runner's path to the plate.

Comment

What ever the reason.... it's wrong. I would have my on deck guy run out there every time and get the bat.... If the ump questions why I'm doing that I'd tell him the reason. I would also mention it to the other coach. "Coach, not certain why he does it, but your catcher steps on the bat every time we get a hit."
                              "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                              - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X