Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the future of high school age sports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the future of high school age sports?

Don't look at this as a soccer article. It's a youth sports article. Most of what I've seen soccer do has filtered into other sports. Soccer was the first youth sport with organized 3 and 4yo soccer. I'll admit my son played 4yo soccer. It was the first year for our soccer league. We saw it as a way to burn endless energy. From a soccer standpoint it was a waste of time. From a coaching standpoint it was like herding cats to the roundup.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...VwM/story.html

Originally posted by JetSixty View Post
    I'll admit my son played 4yo soccer.
    What? What? This is a bombshell.
    efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Here, even though our HS baseball is still important and highly competitive and challenging, it pales in comparison the Fall and Summer Travel teams as far as exposure and opportunities...

I'm not too sure what the people in the article are upset about, as it was mentioned when the top players move on to academies, it opens up another spot to play...
      I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

Comment

I think it might - eventually. mainly for cost reasons. Wyoming doesn't have high school baseball. Most of Colorado doesn't offer middle school sports. There may be places that move away from many high school sports for the purpose of saving money. If the local travel/club scene is strong and starts pulling some of the better athletes away, many states may just decide to let go.

Comment

The big issue is kids being ordered not to play for their high school teams. I'm fully aware my kids got more exposure and opportunity from travel and showcase ball. But high school sports is an important part of the high school experience. There's something special about playing for the community.

My kids made good friends in travel ball, especially showcase ball where they became part of the college baseball/softball fraternity. But the tightest relationships my kids have from those years are their high school friends and teammates. They didn't just play their sports. They supported their friends in other sports.

This article takes travel to another level. It isn't just the elite being pulled away from the rest of the athletes. It's the elite of the elite being pulled aside into year round USA development teams. Yet, very few actually make it.

Comment

Cost reasons, philosophical reasons, and more. HS sports will eventually give way to the academy process in all sports, except for perhaps football.

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
              What? What? This is a bombshell.
              I didn't have any delusions it was the beginning of the path in soccer. I thought it would be fun and an energy burner. What 4yo soccer is, is a ball thrown into the middle of a mob. Then there are the passive kids standing outside the mob. The mob kicks the ball or each other in the shins. Then the most aggressive kid breaks out of the mob with the ball and scores. That was my kid.

I also saw some football tendencies. One time a teammate broke out of the pack in the wrong direction. My son nailed him in the open field before he could shoot into the wrong goal. There's no rule about using hands to tackle a teammate.

Rec soccer from four to six was amusing if nothing else. It didn't have a lot to do with soccer. A handful of kids could go end to end with the ball. At seven they started playing on the standard size preteen field. That was when we could teach spacing and passing. He moved on to travel at eight (U9). Travel kids weren't allowed to play rec. They were typically too aggressive and dominated the ball too much for typical rec players.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
                Cost reasons, philosophical reasons, and more. HS sports will eventually give way to the academy process in all sports, except for perhaps football.
                I believe football would be the perfect target for club ball. At some point, due to the threat of concussions the liability insurance for football will become too high for the schools to absorb.

Comment

I believe football would be the perfect target for club ball. At some point, due to the threat of concussions the liability insurance for football will become too high for the schools to absorb.
                  Great point and when that happens, it won't be gradual, it will happen quickly.

Comment

IMHO, what football doesn't have going for it is the facilities are expensive to maintain compared to other sports, more expense with equipment, etc. Rugby will take it's place in time, if that occurs. I would also consider moving LAX to the fall to replace football.

Comment

Originally posted by Roothog66 View Post
                      Great point and when that happens, it won't be gradual, it will happen quickly.
                      It's coming. Enjoy it while it lasts. I don't blame all the trial lawyers, though. :scholar:
                      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

I'm pretty sure this has already happened with volleyball in California. There are kids who just play for their Junior Olympic team and do not play high school. IMG Academy is probably the program to watch. They are basically a 60k a year sports academy. While 60k is way too much, what happens when someone replicates IMG but makes it 10k a year?

Comment

They way it works around here is that players are covered by their personal insurance first, then the school insurance covers any remaining balance. I'm not sure how much the attorneys will target high schools. The NFL was an easy target because they have deep pockets and they lied about the effects of concussions to the players for years.

Also, in regards to football and concussions. Football participation at the 7th grade level is down at every school in our area. One school is down from 86 players last year to 54 this year. Concern over concussions appears to be the main reason.

Comment

Originally posted by d-mac View Post
                            I'm pretty sure this has already happened with volleyball in California. There are kids who just play for their Junior Olympic team and do not play high school. IMG Academy is probably the program to watch. They are basically a 60k a year sports academy. While 60k is way too much, what happens when someone replicates IMG but makes it 10k a year?
                            It's being done currently in basketball. The ethics, standards and educations are being questioned. They're being accused of being basketball factories not places of education. But as long as the college coaches don't care about education standards and the colleges accept the kids as students nothing will change.

Comment

What high school sports actually draw in the community? In Cincinnati I would say high school football.

If all the other sporting programs: soccer, tennis, swimming, baseball, volleyball, lacrosse, golf, track, etc... were turned over to "academies" I'm not sure they would be missed by the community.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X