Declining Little League Enrollment Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declining Little League Enrollment Rates

Does anyone have a link to some of the recent reports/stats regarding the drop in Little League enrollments? I can find reports as far back as 1983. But, I can't find many that are more recent than 2012. There has to be something that was shared, somewhere, in 2014, showing the trends and the percentages, right?b

I was talking with our league president last night about this actually. Several of our coaches last year decided to take all of their players and go to Travel Ball full time and it killed our numbers for this year. We started talking about how this is happening all over to different leagues.

Anyways, he said he read a report recently that stated LL Inc had somewhere around 2.7 million players last year and are down to 2 million this year. I couldn't tell what report he read or how accurate the data is, but that was what he told me. Pretty dramatic drop in my opinion and not all of it due to travel ball of course.

Comment

How about cost! $175 for 5-6yr old tee ball!

Comment

Originally posted by real green View Post
        How about cost! $175 for 5-6yr old tee ball!
        That's on the local league. Our majors is $150 this year

Comment

That debacle with the US champion of the 11/12 division in the LLWS won't help.

Comment

Originally posted by daque View Post
            The cheating accusations?

Comment

Originally posted by daque View Post
              I doubt what happens in Williamsport has any negative impact on little Johnny in Smalltown USA playing little league.

Comment

Thanks guys. Someone told me recently that, in my area, the local Little Leagues are reporting that they have been down 10-20% each of the last two years coming into this year. We haven't seen that in our league. But, based on what I am seeing this year, it would not shock me if our league is down 20%. And, that's a lot of bodies in our league.

Comment

I was talking with a dad/coach last week from another larger town nearby. Their LL had six 11/12 teams last year. This year they will have two, and they are struggling for that. All of the good kids are going to travel full time (including his kid). The kids that are left are bottom of the lineup guys with no other options. That's a steep dropoff. He told me he felt like his kid actually regressed last year playing as a 11 y/o LL and had some catching up to do when they hit travel in the summer.
                  Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

Comment

I could see that - if all the good kids leave, then, the level of competition becomes a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by BBSG View Post
                      Thanks guys. Someone told me recently that, in my area, the local Little Leagues are reporting that they have been down 10-20% each of the last two years coming into this year. We haven't seen that in our league. But, based on what I am seeing this year, it would not shock me if our league is down 20%. And, that's a lot of bodies in our league.
                      Our league usually has around 450 players registered. I think we are down to 250-300 this year.
                      A big part of that is a local travel ball group left with all of their players (3 age groups/teams under one name). They took 50 players who had all played Little League the year before. The others we lost were a mix of travel players, kids no longer wanting to play, moving to another league, etc...

Comment

I have talked about this before but we have a league around 800 kids. We left LLI and started a USSSA league with a comp division and rec division to help stem the tide of travel kids leaving. So far it has worked well this will be the second spring and our numbers in both divisions are good. The reason we went USSSA is that most teams around here were already registered there.

Comment

Also consider that school-age children populations are down all across the country.
                          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                            Also consider that school-age children populations are down all across the country.
                            By 15-20%?

Comment

Originally posted by grayscoach View Post
                              I have talked about this before but we have a league around 800 kids. We left LLI and started a USSSA league with a comp division and rec division
                              How does that work?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X