No announcement yet.

The Catchers Gear Bag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking about the Tanel. But, then got concerned about having to puzzle piece the gear in there. So, I started thinking about the Gear Box. But, when I look at this picture, I see it's the same thing, maybe worse? http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-1756956..._2193_76043603

Comment

Anyone have any experience with the Mizuno MX Equipment wheel bag?
      Reviews on Amazon love it. Reviews on the Mizuno site, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BBSG View Post
        Now I am thinking PASS. This kid seems to have issues opening it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA712n7irZY
        My son has the same bag and doesn't have an issue with the zippers. We as a team bought the boys the Boombah back pack bags so he keeps all his non catching stuff in there, fielders glove, batting helmet, J-bands, batting gloves, etc. so there is a ton more room in the All-Star bag now which helps.
        Sent from my mobile device... probably while driving...

Comment

Thanks tcvander! Always good to hear from someone who actually has the bag

So, you would recommend it? What are the pros and cons of it?

Comment

Thanks tcvander! Always good to hear from someone who actually has the bag

So, you would recommend it? What are the pros and cons of it?
            I would if you use two bags like I was mentioning, if you try to stuff everything in there especially at his age (12) and using larger gear you need to be very selective where you put the catchers helmet, batting helmet, gloves, etc. otherwise like any bag it would be hard to close. This is his 3rd year with that bag and I was actually looking at the No-Errors bag since it has the various compartments to force the pre-teen boy the concept of "a place for everything and everything in it's place..." But the reviews on that bag doesn't seem to be the best.

Comment

I am really starting to think it's luck of the draw.

A few years ago, we needed a washer and dryer. We went to 4 different places including two of the big boxes. We researched THEM ALL online. The reviews for EVERYTHING was horrifying. Finally, we were back at Lowes and the guy asked us if we made a decision. I told him, "When you read the reviews online they ALL SUCK." He laughed and said that it's true. His words "Basically, you buy one and hope that it's the exception and not the lemon that everyone else got."

I think that may be the deal with zippers and bags too
              Lol....we did the same exact thing when we purchased our last washer/dryer, fortunately, we stumbled into the local neighborhood appliance/tv store that had been in town since 1950, and our salesman (who may have been with the store from the beginning, lol) steered us away from all the fancy bells, and whistles on the new models, and told us to go with the old tried true, basic Speed Queen models they use in laundromats for a reason.

So after checking my research (and ego) at the door, we sucked it up, took his advice, and went with the Speed Queens....best decision we ever made. While they're no fancy Ferrari, they get the job done efficiently, quickly, and quietly....and without a lick of pain or problem. Now that I type that, I'm sure I'll have water all over the floor the next wash, but so far so good.

Now, when it comes to a "catcher's" bag....one is really no better or worse than the others. Whatever you buy, they'll figure out how to get all of their stuff in it (why the hell does a kid need to take 4 bats with him in the first place? ), and if they're used with a little caution, and care along the way...will last for multiple seasons. My oldest had two bags in the six years he caught prior to and through HS, and a year of college ball were it traveled a lot. His last bag is still in very serviceable shape, and still usable if he ever decided he needed it again.

Three pages of "what's the best bag" is pretty silly IMO....just go buy a bag, hand it to them, and get on with the game. There's more, and better things to worry about for your F2s than the stinking bag they're gonna drag to their practices, and games with.....c'mon, "Play Ball!!"
              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

I know Mud - lots of thinking for a feakin' bag. But, it's frustrating that none of them seem to last. They're not exactly cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by tcvander View Post
                  I would if you use two bags like I was mentioning, if you try to stuff everything in there especially at his age (12) and using larger gear you need to be very selective where you put the catchers helmet, batting helmet, gloves, etc. otherwise like any bag it would be hard to close. This is his 3rd year with that bag and I was actually looking at the No-Errors bag since it has the various compartments to force the pre-teen boy the concept of "a place for everything and everything in it's place..." But the reviews on that bag doesn't seem to be the best.
                  Thanks - this is appreciated.

Comment

I know Mud - lots of thinking for a feakin' bag. But, it's frustrating that none of them seem to last. They're not exactly cheap.
                    Then buy him a cheap duffle bag, until he's ready to care for an expensive "specialized" one. IOWs, it not the bags...it's the care, or lack thereof that make the "seem" to not last. Like I said, my oldest had two in six years, and could probably have continued to use his original, had he not got a his newest one as a gift from grandma, and grandpa the Christmas before his senior year of HS.

I get the feeling you're a bit indulgent with your son/kids....which is fine I suppose. I just have a difference of opinion wrt "parenting". Even though we were more than able financially, to given them what the wanted when they wanted it, I just believe(d) that they need(ed) to earn, and take care of what is given to them...and not get what they think they want as the "latest and greatest", simply because someone else might have it, and now they "want" that one instead.

I know for a fact that my sons never carried around four bats ever. Hell, can't say for sure that either even had four new bats from the time they started playing till when they stopped (if they did, it was no more than five, maybe six at the most).

I also know for sure, that each only used two bats from the time they started HS ball until the time they graduated....again, "thank you gram, and gramps". Both were taught, understood, and believed, "Its not the arrow, its the Indian"....they carried an "old" bat, just in case something happened to the "new" one come game time.

Wonder how we all managed to play the game before all of these "specialized" bags, bats, uniforms, and gear came into existence? Oh I remember now, we didn't care how we looked on our way to the game or in the dugout with all of the razzle dazzle niceties, but rather how we actually played on the field. JM:twocents: worth....
                    Last edited by mudvnine; 04-16-2016, 03:36 PM.
                    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

The hockey bag is still another notion. But, I haven't given it that much thought.
                      I'm seriously considering the goalie bag from Hockeymonkey.com
                      40" x 16" x 20"

Comment

OK, so, I sort of punted and went off the rails.

Today, I ended up ordering, online, a Louisville Slugger Series 7 Ton Equipment Bag EBS7TN6. Got it for $75 (before S&H).

The logic: It's a big box, like he likes. Dimensions are 35 x 16.5 x 14.5

I liked the set up on the wheels since IT SEEMS to combat one of my two biggest beefs on bags: When you wheel it, the middle/bottom scraps on the ground and makes a hole in the bag and/or mucks up the zippers.

My other beef with bags is the zippers - being cheap and/or ripping. On both his Boombah and his Easton, that's been one of the problems - the zippers ripping out of where they are sewn into the bag.

No way to tell how the zippers will be on this since I ordered it online. But, even if they are crap and I only get 6 months out of the bag, I feel better about it since it was a $75 bag and not a $100-$150 bag.

Amazing how much time I spent looking at baseball and hockey bags. Thanks to all for the feedback here. I am still looking forward to what Xan has to say...if he does a review on bags. Maybe that will be the one to consider next time? For now, I had to get something since the zippers on his Easton are on their last teeth.

Comment

Guess I should add that the most common complaint on the LS is that the bag sags when there are no bats in it to stabilize it. But, that wouldn't be a problem. Not having bats in the bag is not an issue for him

Comment

This is the bag:

Comment

What is the overall opinion of the No Errors bag? http://www.noerrors.com/page/show/11...2-catchers-bag

I've read a few things about it, but we are on year 3 of our All-Star bag and it's not going to make it to the end of the season and this one looks to be a good choice, but wanted to make sure.

Thoughts?

Comment

The zippers are the problem on No Errors - at least they were, unless they fixed them?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X