4. Centerfield
    5. 3rd Base
    6. 2nd Base
    7. Left Field
    8. 1st Base
    9.(Easiest) Right Field

Although The Hardest Thing Has To Be Pinch Hitting In Late Inning Games
    Riding Revel8

Right field has a longer throw that the left fielder. Often, the least of the fielding outfielders in thebigs in the left fielder not right fielder.

Second baseman. shorter throw than shortstop, but must turn a double play a bit more often that a shortstop.

I would say that first baseman is the "easiest" position in baseball since he is not depended upon to make many throws.

Other than that, there are too many similarities between the different positions to say one is really significantly more difficult that the other. It also matters on the players strenghts and weaknesses on what is "proper" position really is.
    http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

Ranking Posistions

Hardest to Easiest Posistions for Fielding:

1. Pitcher
      2. 3rd Base
      3. Catcher
      4. Short-Stop
      5. 2nd Base
      6. Center Field
      7. Right Field
      8. Left Field
      9. 1st Base

Comment

Catching is by far the most difficult position on the diamond. He is the quarterback of the team.

Comment

im an outfielder and a catcher but i think outfield should be up there...it may seem easy but its not u have a lot of pressure on u alot of the time to be always backing up...being aggresive hitting the cut-off man...having a good arm.....not anyone can be an outfielder
          "If you want to succeed you need to eat drink breathe and bleed baseball"

Comment

hardest to easiest

-pitcher
            -catcher
            -3rd
            -short
            -center
            -left
            -right
            -1st
            -2nd
            "If you want to succeed you need to eat drink breathe and bleed baseball"

Comment

As someone who played both second and first, first is far easier and requires fewer throws (that mean something).

Pitchers have a difficult job, but not nearly as catcher. First he wears the gear, catches every inning, not just when it is his turn, and controls the flow of the game. When I started to umpire, I began to realize how important a catcher really is to both the pitching staff and the team.

Comment

While Second Base may have alot of time on their throws, they have to cover the most ground when they are holding on the runners which can be tough. First base is a relatively easy position unless your team sucks and you havta scoop everything. Catching and Pitching are the two hardest positions because when you are playing those positions, its hard to concentrate on batting, when you have to concentrate on the opposing teams lineup and how you will get them out.
                Riding Revel8

Comment

In the majors, the big, immobile guy with a weak throwing arm plays first. That ought to tell you something. Could you imagine Mo Vaughn playing any other position that first?

A second baseman must cover the same territory as a shortstop, but has a shorter throw.

Comment

Catcher is the most difficult, and least recognized position on the field. To have to call every ptch that the pitcher throws, and then frame them and catch each one is a difficult task. He is also expected to throw out runners, block balls and quarterback the entire team. Generally, the catcher is only recognized when he makes a bad play instead of a good one. If a ball gets by him, its: "He should have had that one". But when he frames a called strike 3 to get the pitcher out of a jam, no one says anything. Despite all of this, catcher is by far my favorite position (followed closely by 3rd base, where you have to be alert all of the time). On another note, i would say that LF is the easiest position. I played 5 innings there in a game a while ago, and did not recieve any fly balls (nothing was even close really).
                    WAMCO!

Comment

Amen to all the people who say catcher is the hardest....

Pitchers [in my experience] are always treated like such babies...When he's not hitting the strike zone it's "Oh his mechanics aren't working this week!"
                      Then next week his fastball is flat, so then people immediatly say "Oh his fastball isn't working this week!"

But then you have the poor catcher. He commits one error and about half the media is pissing on his head.
                      "I feel like I'm the luckiest man on the face of the planet, I might have had a bad break or two but I have an awful lot to live for, thank you."
                      -Lou Gehrig

"You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
                      - Christy Matthewson

Comment

A good pitcher can pitch effectively even if he doesn't have his best stuff.

Yesterday night, I came into the game as a pitcher in the third inning after playing shortstop. We were down 10-4 or something like that. We tied it 10-10 and i was pitching awesome. In the 8th inning our catcher missed 2 strikeout pitches that allowed the runner to reach. Eventually we got 2 outs on the team...and the runner on third decides to steal home(i was going from the stretch so that was stupid) the pitch arrived when the runner was halfway down the line and it was a low and inside fastball called for a strike. Our catcher drops it and then loses his cool and tags high and we lose. That was a heartbreaker(O yea our catcher hasnt thrown out a runner in about 60 attempts)
                        Last edited by tyberesk; 06-22-2005, 08:14 AM.
                        Riding Revel8

Comment

1. Catcher- involved in every play and needed to throw out baserunners and be a leader on the field
                          2. Shortstop- Also a leader on the field covering more ground than third base but also often having to make a longer throw than the 3rd baseman when in the hole, and also has to turn 2
                          3. Pitcher- Obviously involved in every play and when they do get hit the ball to them, which is not often, it is usually a shot back to the pitcher which requires a quick reaction
                          4. Center Field- Leader of the outfield and covers most ground of all of the outfielders
                          5. 2nd Base- Easy throw when it is hit to them but they cover the most ground of any infielder and must cover runners and depending on the coach of the team have to take the throw coming down from the catcher
                          6. 3rd Base- Least amount of room to cover on the whole field, but often have hot shots coming to them and a long throw across the diamond
                          7. Right Field - Requires a good arm which is about it, but it is a much longer throw than Left Field when throwing to third base
                          8. Left Field- Requires a good arm, but easy throw to third base
                          9. First Base- All you need to do at first is be willing to get off the bag with a bad throw and have the ability to just catch a well thrown ball and are rarely needed to make a throw

Comment

Originally posted by tyberesk
                            How Would You Rate The Difficulty Of Each Position

This Is How I Rate Them

1.(Hardest)Catcher
                            2. Pitcher
                            3. ShortStop
                            4. Centerfield
                            5. 3rd Base
                            6. 2nd Base
                            7. Left Field
                            8. 1st Base
                            9.(Easiest) Right Field

Although The Hardest Thing Has To Be Pinch Hitting In Late Inning Games
                            I don’t agree with you here pitch hitting late in a game isn’t that hard. Now of course pitch hitting in the 10th inning of game 7 of the World Series would make me piss my pants.

Originally posted by Bluesteve32
                            Catching is by far the most difficult position on the diamond. He is the quarterback of the team.
                            I never understood why people say the catcher is the “Quarterback” of the team sure this is true some of the time (Red Sox’s, Tigers) but not nearly as much as people seem to say.

Originally posted by scrface744
                            im an outfielder and a catcher but i think outfield should be up there...it may seem easy but its not u have a lot of pressure on u alot of the time to be always backing up...being aggresive hitting the cut-off man...having a good arm.....not anyone can be an outfielder
                            I think you were trying to say not everyone can be a good outfielder.

Originally posted by Bluesteve32
                            As someone who played both second and first, first is far easier and requires fewer throws (that mean something).

Pitchers have a difficult job, but not nearly as catcher. First he wears the gear, catches every inning, not just when it is his turn, and controls the flow of the game. When I started to umpire, I began to realize how important a catcher really is to both the pitching staff and the team.
                            If a pitcher has an off day your chances of winning are almost none. On the other hand if your catcher has a bad day you still have a good chance of winning.

Originally posted by tyberesk
                            While Second Base may have alot of time on their throws, they have to cover the most ground when they are holding on the runners which can be tough. First base is a relatively easy position unless your team sucks and you havta scoop everything. Catching and Pitching are the two hardest positions because when you are playing those positions, its hard to concentrate on batting, when you have to concentrate on the opposing teams lineup and how you will get them out.
                            I believe you are talking about how they hold the runners on in little league???

Originally posted by RichmondHillPhoenix
                            Catcher is the most difficult, and least recognized position on the field. To have to call every ptch that the pitcher throws, and then frame them and catch each one is a difficult task. He is also expected to throw out runners, block balls and quarterback the entire team. Generally, the catcher is only recognized when he makes a bad play instead of a good one. If a ball gets by him, its: "He should have had that one". But when he frames a called strike 3 to get the pitcher out of a jam, no one says anything. Despite all of this, catcher is by far my favorite position (followed closely by 3rd base, where you have to be alert all of the time). On another note, i would say that LF is the easiest position. I played 5 innings there in a game a while ago, and did not recieve any fly balls (nothing was even close really).
                            In vary few plays do the catcher’s actually call the pitch.

Originally posted by YankeesCatcher
                            Amen to all the people who say catcher is the hardest....

Pitchers [in my experience] are always treated like such babies...When he's not hitting the strike zone it's "Oh his mechanics aren't working this week!"
                            Then next week his fastball is flat, so then people immediatly say "Oh his fastball isn't working this week!"

But then you have the poor catcher. He commits one error and about half the media is pissing on his head.
                            Really because from my experience the catcher gets the no love no hate from the media.

1: Closing Pitcher
                            2: Starting Pitcher
                            3: Shortstop
                            4: Catcher
                            5: Center Fielder
                            6: Setup Man
                            7: Third Baseman
                            8: Middle Relief Pitcher
                            9: Second Baseman
                            10: Right Fielder
                            11: Pitch Hitter
                            12: Left Fielder
                            13: First Baseman
                            14: Pinch Runner
                            15: Designated Hitter

Fisher Webb

Comment

Originally posted by warriorxlegolas
                              I never understood why people say the catcher is the “Quarterback” of the team sure this is true some of the time (Red Sox’s, Tigers) but not nearly as much as people seem to say.
                              The catcher is the only defensive player that is looking out at the field and he is the one that calls out to the cutoff man on which base to throw the ball or to hold it on almost every ball hit to the outfield. He also calls where to throw the ball on bunt attempts.

If a pitcher has an off day your chances of winning are almost none. On the other hand if your catcher has a bad day you still have a good chance of winning.
                              That is true, but the manager/coach can give the pitcher the hook right away. Also a bad catcher hinders some pitcher from getting "borderline" strikes by receiving the ball poorly.

The catcher is also responsible to soothe fragile pitcher's egos when they walk the first guy when having a five run lead the team just got him.

The catcher is also the one calling out various plays prior to the pitch (standing in front of home pate and giving defensive play signals).

In vary few plays do the catcher’s actually call the pitch.
                              Not true. If the cather is not calling the pithcers or plays directly, he is getting them from the bench and relays those signs and signals to the infielders and the pitcher.

All in all, a poor receiving catcher can make good pitching mediocre and poor pitching that much worse. A good catcher is another fielder who will pounce on ball hit in front of home plate and make accurate throws for outs as opposed to having a pitcher or other fielders making plays on those balls.

Past balls cause more damage that wild pitches, too. A past ball on strike three may result in the batter-runner reaching first (Mickey Owen in the 1941 WS) and runners advancing. A good catcher prevents many wild pitches by keeping the ball in front of him.

Most teams have more than one pitcher, in almost any level, but try to find that catcher is much more difficult at any level, especially past Little League rules.
                              Last edited by Bluesteve32; 06-23-2005, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X