Launch Angles, Exit Speed and Distance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rdbass View Post

Not the angle the ball leaves/exit the bat but, the 'Launch Angle'.
    What I'm getting at is I don't really know what that says about bat path in youth baseball and what the effect would be if we focused on swings that produced those angles when kids are hitting soft toss from behind a screen, hitting a coach's BP, facing a soft tossing 11 year old, etc. There may be valid conclusions in there somewhere, but I can't say for sure what the math tells us beyond us not wanting high pop flies and a ton of grounders. I can't say. Maybe somebody else can draw reasonable conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by rdbass View Post
      Not the angle the ball leaves/exit the bat but, the 'Launch Angle'.
      ? that is the definition of launch angle.

Attack angle -- angle bat approaches the ball
      Launch angle -- angle ball exits the bat

Comment

Originally posted by bbrages View Post
        ? that is the definition of launch angle.

Attack angle -- angle bat approaches the ball
        Launch angle -- angle ball exits the bat

Comment

Originally posted by Tman View Post
          What I'm getting at is I don't really know what that says about bat path in youth baseball and what the effect would be if we focused on swings that produced those angles when kids are hitting soft toss from behind a screen, hitting a coach's BP, facing a soft tossing 11 year old, etc. There may be valid conclusions in there somewhere, but I can't say for sure what the math tells us beyond us not wanting high pop flies and a ton of grounders. I can't say. Maybe somebody else can draw reasonable conclusions.
          yep that's where you start. Teaching the line drive -- not ground balls, not pop ups. But the thing is the line drive launch angle goes just over the L screen (or to the top of the tunnel). So the old cues hit the l-screen or hit the back of the tunnel should probably be modified.

Comment

If you tell a kid hit the back of the tunnel you'll get optimum launch angles. If you tell him to hit optimum launch angles you'll get 60 degree pop outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

what is interesting that in MLB basically 10-30 is ideal but the middle of that (20) is not that good unless you hit it really soft or really hard. at the most common velos in MLB on line drives (upper 80s to mid 90s) it tends to get caught quite often.

that is called the "donut hole", basically around 20 degrees is very sensitive to exit velo as are of course higher launch angles but with the hole shifted to lower velos (which is better, you rather have your 92 mph balls hits than 78 mph bloopers).

that would mean that lower exit velo guys probably would be best off to keep it between 5 and 15 degrees because it gives you the best chance to get a hit at 80 to 90 mph. the very softest hitters like hamilton average 80- he is one of the guys who might have a too high launch angle, his average LA this year is 18 degrees which might cause a lot of fly outs at 80 to 85 mph (the OF probably plays him 30 feet shallower so that he doesn't get the bloopers at 80 either).

so if you want to be really fine you could say softer hitters should aim for 5-15 and harder hitters for 20-30 degrees.

but in reality shooting for 10 to 30 is probably a smaller range than most hitters can accurately produce, it is still a round bat and ball.
              Last edited by dominik; 04-19-2017, 08:17 AM.
              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X