Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet the Mets

Comment

.....What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away...
      "I wanted to be a big league baseball player so I could see my picture on a bubblegum card."Al Ferrara

Comment

Dock Ellis by the S.F. Seals

Comment

Originally posted by whatswailing
          I'll go with "Talkin Baseball".

100% agreed.
          Willie, Micky and The Duke.
          The old 45 had a picture of Casey Stengel peering into a crystal ball, Classic!
          unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
          unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
          unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

I love all the titles posted. Here are some others I like:

"Rain Delay" by Marah (featuring the voice of the Phillies, Harry the K)

"Miami 2017" by Billy Joel (with the great line about sending an aircraft carrier to pick up the Yankees)

'I Love Mickey Mantle" by Theresa Brewer, featuring the Mick himself

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesteve32
              Ceterfield by John Fogerty.

Agreed. But there is some argument over the authenticity of Fogerty's lyric. I can remember when this song came out in the mid-eighties, Tim McCarver would point out that no player in real life would refer to his manager as 'coach' but rather as 'Skip.' Is that true?

Comment

McCarver was in pro baseball too long to remember that high school and college have coaches, not managers, which are often called skippers. I am sure that Fogerty was thinking back when he was a kid, and even though that Little League and Pony League do call them "Managers," kids of that age will most often call them "coach" and not "skipper" or "skip." Besides, "Coach" makes better lyrical sense, and skip just does not have that ring to the line.

It's better than movies and TV shows showing the ninth inning of HS baseball games, and it is not extra innings.
                http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

Every team I played on called the Manager "Coach". From Little league up to American Legion. McCarver seems to talk a bit too much when he has no Idea of what he's saying.
                  "Straight ball I hit it very much, curveball, bats are afraid"

Comment

Meet The Mets Song

My favorite baseball song is meet the mets which first was played in 1963 the mets last year at the historic polo grounds. 1963 was also the first year for the mets official mascot mr met. they would play the song before every mets game on the radio which i have alot of 1962 and 1963 mets games on audio.the song was also played at the polo grounds.
                    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Originally posted by tmorss9
                      Every team I played on called the Manager "Coach". From Little league up to American Legion. McCarver seems to talk a bit too much when he has no Idea of what he's saying.
                      In pro ball, you would never call the manager coach, but skip or skipper. It is a matter of delineation. Often times, umpires (or officials in any sport, when not actually addressing them by their first name) adress them as coaches, but managers would often take exception to that, because he is a "skipper."
                      http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

My favorite is "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley.

Take me out to the ball game is close behind that one.

Comment

I also loved to hear that song played and know all the words by heart..... does anybody know were I can get an mp3 of the song??????

Comment

In a Pennsylvania town in 1921
                            To a Miller and his wife
                            one day was born a son

Stanley F Musial
                            Swingin Stan The Man
                            He's the man that thrills the fans
                            Swingin Stan the Man
                            "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6 View Post
                              Being a Red Sox fan, I'm partial to the Dropkick Murphys' rendition of "Tessie". Not an all-time favorite--yet--but it's surely a current favorite.

Even though it's not a baseball song, I have to add "Dirty Water" by the Standells. It's played after every Boston victory at Fenway.
                              I love the DKM Tessie, really gets me revved up. Dirty Water works too, just no more Sweet Caroline. ever. PLEASE!

TomC
                              Author of The Smoking Lounge
                              sigpic

Comment

So True

Originally posted by tmorss9 View Post
                                I still call him coach some thirty years later.

MY VOTE: "Ichiro" by Dave Ross.

link to link. I couldn't copy 1st link and make it work.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=54739
                                Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 09-01-2007, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X