No announcement yet.

Best Baseball Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though there are many, my favorite baseball song is easily "Take Me Out To The Ball Game."

And for anyone who cares, the song was recorded for the first time 99 years ago today, 9/9/1908, by the Haydn Quartet vocal group. It was easily the most popular song of the year.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

The beauty about baseball music its as diverse as the players themselves.
      There are many types of players as well as baseball songs...

Here is a link to a thread I started:

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=45269

So, like the players, I admire players like Justin Pedroia (he just gets in done) and the same with Terry Cashman and Chuck Brodsky...both whom are all over the place on the thread.

But being of Red Sox blood, my favorite is "Losing" by Pondering Judd (sans 2004) page 34 and Tim McGraw's "Live like you were Dying" about his dad Tug...

Thanks for asking
      Family Autograph Thread
      http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=75871

Comment

Originally posted by kearns643 View Post
        Here is a link to a thread I started:

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=45269
        Somehow, I knew that thread was there but had misplaced it. :o
        Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
          Though there are many, my favorite baseball song is easily "Take Me Out To The Ball Game."

And for anyone who cares, the song was recorded for the first time 99 years ago today, 9/9/1908, by the Haydn Quartet vocal group. It was easily the most popular song of the year.

I care, and I concur, Millidrive. "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" is the greatest of all Baseball songs. They'll be playing it in another 99 years, too ... unless, of course, the long underrated "Batterin' Babe" overtakes it in the interim.
          Attached Files

Comment

Centerfield - Fogerty
            Talkin Baseball - Terry Cashman

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6 View Post
              Being a Red Sox fan, I'm partial to the Dropkick Murphys' rendition of "Tessie". Not an all-time favorite--yet--but it's surely a current favorite.

Even though it's not a baseball song, I have to add "Dirty Water" by the Standells. It's played after every Boston victory at Fenway.
              This is the last place I thought I would read anything about the Dropkick Murphys! I use to love them when the old singer Mike McColgan and they where more like Oi! than how they are now more ballady with Al Barr. I like Al Barr, and I loved the Bruisers but I not that crazy about him in the Dropkick Murphys.

When I was a teenager when they came out, I thought they where almost perfect, They where Irish, mixed Irish music with Oi! They where really good.....Too bad they are from Boston J/k I actually love Boston I have been there tons of times, I saw the Dropkick Murphys in Boston, one of the many times I have seen them.(just not crazy about there baseball team) The DKM's Ballad stuff gets to be a bit much now.

That Tessie song, is that why all those dumb kids where wearing DKM's & Irish stuff when I went to a yankee redsox game? I get the whole Boston DKM thing and I know Boston is one of the biggest Irish cities, but being a redsox fan and being Irish and into Street Punk isn't necessary the same thing. I am the biggest most Irish looking MF there is (my mom from there) I also love Oi! music and I am an unrepented Yankee fan! Anyway that song Tessie is pretty good! It some of the "newer" DKM stuff I like!
              39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
              2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15 16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Take Me Out to the Ballgame, an American anthem. I've always been partial to Talkin' Baseball, Terry Cashman. My ten year old kid bought a baseball video a couple months ago at a thrift store and it had Talkin Baseball on it and he still walks around the house every day singing the song. He had me give him a history course on all the players mentioned. I enjoyed it.

Comment

Gotta be "Go Joe Charboneau" by Section 54.

Code:
                  Who's the newest guy in town?
                  Go Joe Charboneau.
                  Turns the ballpark upside down.
                  Go Joe Charboneau.
                  Who's the one to keep our hopes alive, 
                  straight from seventh to the pennant drive? 
                  Raise your glass, let out a cheer 
                  for Cleveland's Rookie of the Year!
                  Last edited by Utter Chaos; 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I have a lot of baseball tunes in the collection... essential for road trips to games (I also have audio versions of some baseball books)... but my current, new favorite is Chuck Brodsky's "The Curse of the Billy Goat." That's just a clip... it goes on to talk about '69, '84, '03...

Comment

California Angels A-Okay

I have to admit I am prejudiced in favor of this song though because my wife's parents, Dick and Shirley Winslow, wrote it in 1966 to honor the opening of Anaheim Stadium. (Shameless plug for the memory of my late father-in-law character actor musician and composer Dick Winslow).

California Angels A-Okay
                      California Angels All The Way

Here them shout that you're the best
                      Clear throughout the golden west
                      See them play
                      Night and day
                      Keep the crowds in the clouds

California Angels win that game
                      California Angels win that fame

Everybody blow your horn
                      With a halo we adorn
                      The California Angels team!

Something like that, I don't remember exactly but my wife has the sheet music, with Dick on the cover in the Angel's uniform playing his one-man-band, lying around here someplace.

Comment

Complete Song From Sheet Music

California Angels "A-OK"
                        (Official fight song of the California Angels)
                        Lyrics by Shirley and Dick Winslow
                        Music by Dick Winslow (ASCAP)

California Angels A OK!!
                        California Angels all the way!!
                        Hear them shout that you're the best
                        Clear throughout "The Golden West"
                        Watch `em play night and day. Keep the crowds in the clouds.
                        California Angels win that game!!
                        California Angels win that fame!!
                        Ev'rybody blow your horn! With a halo we adorn the California Angels Team.

Short or tall; large or small; Welcome any time!
                        Have a ball one and all, come to Anaheim!!
                        Cheer!! Cheer!! Let them know we're here!!

California Angels A OK!!
                        Hear them shout that you're the best
                        Clear throughout "The Golden West"
                        Watch `em play night and day. Keep the crowds in the clouds.
                        California Angels win that game!!
                        California Angels win that fame!!
                        Ev'rybody blow your horn! With a halo we adorn the California Angels Team.

(copyright 1966 Walt Disney Music Co., Burbank, Cal.)

Comment

Another vote for "centerfield" by John Fogerty.
                          "Remember, 90% of the game is half mental" - Yogi Berra

Comment

I love "Centerfield." My dad would play that all the time on the way to Spring Training games.

Comment

Fogerty's "Centerfield" takes the cake.
                              Being a Red Sox fan, and loving Dropkick, "Tessie" is a close second.
                              2007 WORLD CHAMPIONS

My baseball blog at thepitch.h-team.us. Back after a total redesign.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
                                My favorite is "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley.
                                Yes I know LONG way to go for a bump, but in lieu of starting a thread about people thinking something is about baseball, but in actuality, not so much.

This is not even close to being about baseball.

"Nobody on the road
                                Nobody on the beach
                                I feel it in the air
                                The summer's out of reach
                                Empty lake, empty streets
                                The sun goes down alone
                                I'm driving by your house
                                Though I know you're not home
                                But I can see you-
                                Your brown skin shinin' in the sun
                                You got your hair combed back and your sunglasses on, baby
                                And I can tell you my love for you will still be strong
                                After the boys of summer have gone..."

Its about a guy looking back at a fling he had and wanting her back. Telling her that his love is much more than just a usual summer crush.

If anything, it has as much to do with rock music of the 1970s with:

"Out on the road today, I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac
                                A little voice inside my head said, Don't look back. You can never look back
                                I thought I knew what love was
                                What did I know?
                                Those days are gone forever
                                I should just let them go but..."

as Mrs. Robinson does with baseball, though both pieces of lyrics do echo the same "past is changed forever" sentiments with:

"Where have you've gone Joe DiMaggio?
                                A nation turns its lonely eyes to you
                                woo woo woo
                                What's that you say Mrs. Robinson?
                                Joltin' Joe has left and gone away..."

Its a great song, but I'd imagine Henley was inspired more from Dylan Thomas' poem than Roger Kahn's book (which also took the title from Thomas' very un-baseball themed poem).
                                NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                                Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                                Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X