Clear All

Van Lingle Mungo by Dave Frishberg
    The ball once struck off,
    Away flies the boy
    To the next destin'd post,
    And then home with joy.
    --Anonymous, 1744

Comment

"Here Come The Yankees", a part of Yankee broadcasts since 1967 and still a part of them today.

Comment

Here I must confess to a love of instrumental songs and melodies. The one which comes to mind ran only about two minutes for the full run...... the theme music to "This Week In Baseball", when it ran during Saturday afternoons just before the NBC Game of the Week.

For those who never heard it, the music had a section of violins playing frantically, followed by trumpets, and then that melody would repeat itself again for the remainder of the show's credits. The total run time of the melody was only 45 to 75 seconds, and then maybe a second run-through would bring it to a couple of minutes of music.

In any case, I could play that melody all afternoon in my head, and it never grew old.

I don't have patience for the internet and Googling forever and ever, so anyone who wants to search or knows where to find it, go for it. You'll probably have to use search terms of This Week In Baseball, Mel Allen the show's host, TWIB notes, or something else related to that show.
        Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

"Centerfield" is the easy winner for me as far as a song actually about baseball.
          My favorite songs that I associate with baseball are "Shipping Up To Boston" by DKM and "Ready To Go" by Republica, both in the rotation at Fenway at some point.
          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

The original Terry Cashman "Talkin' Baseball".

Comment

I had never heard the original by Terry Cashman, and this one doesn't top it... But I always like the Simpsons version called, "Talkin Softball"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkpyZws4bJ8

- great episdoe if you haven't seen it. A lot accurate of historical baseball references in it - especially when Burns tells Mattingly to trim his sideburns: hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi_5lXIT5AY

Comment

D-O-D-G-E-R-S by the immortal Danny Kaye
                "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Now for something completely different:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BauE_yxoFMA
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Runner-up, "Dominic diMaggio" for its never-say-die mania:

"Who can run and bat and throw?
                    Who hits the ball both high and low?
                    Who's BETTER than his brother Joe?
                    DomiNICK diMAggio!"
                    The ball once struck off,
                    Away flies the boy
                    To the next destin'd post,
                    And then home with joy.
                    --Anonymous, 1744

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                      Here I must confess to a love of instrumental songs and melodies. The one which comes to mind ran only about two minutes for the full run...... the theme music to "This Week In Baseball", when it ran during Saturday afternoons just before the NBC Game of the Week.

For those who never heard it, the music had a section of violins playing frantically, followed by trumpets, and then that melody would repeat itself again for the remainder of the show's credits. The total run time of the melody was only 45 to 75 seconds, and then maybe a second run-through would bring it to a couple of minutes of music.

In any case, I could play that melody all afternoon in my head, and it never grew old.

I don't have patience for the internet and Googling forever and ever, so anyone who wants to search or knows where to find it, go for it. You'll probably have to use search terms of This Week In Baseball, Mel Allen the show's host, TWIB notes, or something else related to that show.
                      The composition is called "Gathering Crowds" and was written as library music several years before TWIB debuted (it had been the theme music for ABC's weekend newscasts in 76).

Comment

Originally posted by epaddon View Post
                        The composition is called "Gathering Crowds" and was written as library music several years before TWIB debuted (it had been the theme music for ABC's weekend newscasts in 76).
                        NFL Films used it in Super Bowl highlight films, watched IX and X last night, first two 1970s Steeler SBs, and it was part of the sound track. It even was the piece used for SB X's title sequence.
                        NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                        Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                        Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Originally posted by Sliding Billy View Post
                          Runner-up, "Dominic diMaggio" for its never-say-die mania:

"Who can run and bat and throw?
                          Who hits the ball both high and low?
                          Who's BETTER than his brother Joe?
                          DomiNICK diMAggio!"
                          Eleanor Gehrig wrote a song for Lou called "I Can't Get To First Base With You" that was published...I'm willing to bet it wasn't very good.
                          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Right Field - Peter, Paul and Mary

Comment

The last lines of Chuck Brodsky's "Letters in the Dirt" always make me tear up:

http://oldballgame.freeservers.com/joeweb51.html
                              "You can hate a man for many reasons. Color is not one one of them."--Pee Wee Reese

Comment

As this thread has been revived and Chuck Brodsky mentioned again as well, I will point out that in addition to all his regular albums (which have one or two baseball songs apiece), CB now has two volumes collected of all-baseball material. Lots of fun.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X