No announcement yet.

Best Baseball Song

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we mentioned John McCutcheon's "World Series '57"?

Comment

As much as I hate to admit it, the Dying Cubs' Fan song is pretty good.
      Morrill to Nash to Tenney to Gowdy to Cooney to Spahn to Niekro to Glavine to Moylan

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
        NFL Films used it in Super Bowl highlight films, watched IX and X last night, first two 1970s Steeler SBs, and it was part of the sound track. It even was the piece used for SB X's title sequence.
        Actually TWIB's opening theme (which is probably what is being talked about here) is called Jet Set.

Gathering Crowds was TWIB's closing theme.
        It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
          NFL Films used it in Super Bowl highlight films, watched IX and X last night, first two 1970s Steeler SBs, and it was part of the sound track. It even was the piece used for SB X's title sequence.
          Of all baseball songs maybe because I like Bob Dylan "Catfish" might be my favorite, but his song about Hurricane Carter the boxer is better.

Lazy stadium night
          Catfish on the mound.
          "Strike three," the umpire said,
          Batter have to go back and sit down.

Catfish, million-dollar-man,
          Nobody can throw the ball like Catfish can.

The best song glorifying any athlete I heard is of the Irish Football player John Joe O'Reilly "The Gallant John Joe"

Brave clann O’Reilly, oh proud is your name
          You’ve reared many sons of great honour and fame
          But not even the princes of long, long ago
          Could compare with our sportsman, the Gallant John Joe
          New players may come and old players may go
          But we’ll ne’er have another like the gallant John Joe

Comment

Has anybody heard of the Baseball Project?

http://thebaseballproject.net/

It's a supergroup of sorts, featuring members of REM, the Young Fresh Fellows and the Dream Syndicate. All their songs are about baseball. You'll find songs about the Babe, Ty, Curt Flood, 'Ted F*cking Williams' and many more.

You can listen to their stuff here:

http://thebaseballproject.net/#records

Comment

Fogerty. "Centerfield."
              The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
              http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

I like this one--"arod didn't cheat, arod didn't lie, the sky is not blue, and arod didn't juice."
                Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

I like "Put Me In Coach" by C.C.R.

Also, I like "My Oh My" by Mackelmore, even though all [c]rap music sucks and Mackelmore is in general a frickin' tool. It is about Dave Niehaus after all, and the images in the video are pretty cool. It really brings back some memories.

Last edited by Seattle1; 03-21-2015, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
                    I like "Put Me In Coach" by C.C.R.
                    You're thinking of "Centerfield" too. It's one of Fogerty's solo songs.
                    The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
                    http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

Andrew McCutchen doesn't like "Centerfield." LINK
                      The Writer's Journey

Comment

Two videos by Montreal'er Annakin Slayd (Andrew Farrar):

Remember (A Tribute to the Montreal Expos)

'94 Fall

Comment

My baseball playlist for itunes - includes songs highlights and other neat stuff

1 Take Me Out to the Ballgame George Rabbai
                          2 Babe Ruth WS Home Run (Radio Call) Various Artists
                          3 Jet Set (This Week In Baseball Opening Theme) APM All-Stars
                          4 Bobby Thompson's Shot Heard 'Round the World Russ Hodges
                          5 Talkin' Baseball (Giants By The Bay) Terry Cashman
                          6 Sandy Koufax No-Hitter Radio Call (June 30, 1962) Radio call
                          7 The Whammer Strikes Out The Natural
                          8 Don Larsen Perfect Game Radio Call (Oct. 8, 1956) Radio call
                          9 The Majors: The Mind Is a Strange Thing The Natural
                          10 Joe DiMaggio (Radio Call) Red Barber
                          11 Joltin' Joe DiMaggio Les Brown and His Orchestra
                          12 Gionfriddo Goes "Back Back Back" in World Series to rob DiMaggio Radio Call (Oct. 5, 1947) Radio call
                          13 Winning The Natural
                          14 Roger Maris 61st Home Run Radio Call (Oct. 1, 1961) Radio call
                          15 Play-by-play (I Saw It On the Radio) Terry Cashman, James Austin & Warner Fuselle
                          16 Jackie Robinson (Radio Call) Bob Wolf
                          17 Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball? Natalie Cole
                          18 Lavagetto Ends World Series No Hit Bid with Double in 9th to Win Game Radio Call (Oct. 3, 1947)
                          19 Baseball and Football George Carlin
                          20 Willie Mays Makes a Sensational Catch Various Artists
                          21 Say Hey (The Willie Mays Song) The Treniers
                          22 It's Bye Bye Baby SF Giants Fight Song Giants Fight Song
                          23 Henry Aaron #715 (Radio Call)
                          24 Talkin' Baseball (Willie, Mickey and "The Duke") Terry Cashman
                          25 Stan Musial's 3000th Hit (Harry Carey Announcing) Various Artists
                          26 Who's On First? Bud Abbot & Lou Costello
                          27 Mazeroski Home Run Radio call
                          28 Roberto Clemente Home Run Radio call
                          29 Centerfield John Fogerty
                          30 Lou Gehrig's Farewell Speech (July 4, 1939) Radio call
                          31 The Natural The Natural
                          32 Sandy Koufax Perfect Game Radio Call (Vin Scully entire 9th inning, Sept. 9, 1965) Radio call
                          33 Gathering Crowds (This Week In Baseball Closing Theme) APM All-Stars
                          34 Baseball: The First Hundred Years (Jimmy Stewart 1969 Record, Side 1
                          35 Baseball: The First Hundred Years (Curt Gowdy, 1969 Record Side 2)
                          36 1962 season San Francisco Giants record (Side 1) San Francisco Giants
                          37 1962 season San Francisco Giants record (Side 1) San Francisco Giants
                          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                          3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

"Gee it's a Wonderful Game," music and lyrics by "Doc" White (pitcher for the White Sox) and Ring Lardner (famed sports columnist for the Chicago Tribune). This song was featured in the Ken Burns documentary and was included in the soundtrack album.

Comment

I didn't see this posted yet. A fairly new song by James Taylor. "Angels of Fenway" from the James Taylor album "Before This World".

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                                Though there are many, my favorite baseball song is easily "Take Me Out To The Ball Game."

And for anyone who cares, the song was recorded for the first time 99 years ago today, 9/9/1908, by the Haydn Quartet vocal group.
                                Wrong.

The first version was by Edward Meeker earlier in 1908, released on cylinder Edison Gold Moulded 9926

19th Century League Champion
                                1900s League Champion
                                1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
                                1950s League Champion
                                1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
                                1960s League Division Winner
                                1970s League Champion
                                1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
                                1980s League Champion
                                All Time Greats League Champion

Comment