Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone read Baseball Dynasties by Rob Neyer and Eddie Epstein?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone read Baseball Dynasties by Rob Neyer and Eddie Epstein?

    I ordered Baseball Dynasties by Rob Neyer and Eddie Epstein, and just got it in the mail today. I would like to know if anyone here has read the book, and what they thought of it.

    Please don't tell me the result, who they think is the best team ever. I would like to find out at the end of the book.

  • #2
    i've read it.

    knowing you, you'll like it. the statistics aren't too hard to understand, and neyer does a great job of explaining them. they do a good job of covering most eras, and their logic is very sound most of the time. (at least it is to me, but remember according to darkplague i'm stupid ) by reading this book, you'll either gain a basic statistical foundation that you can build on, or you'll at least reinforce a lot of knowledge about statistics that you have already come across. there is also a lot of history discussed in the book, so enjoy.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tonjes
      i've read it.

      knowing you, you'll like it. the statistics aren't too hard to understand, and neyer does a great job of explaining them. they do a good job of covering most eras, and their logic is very sound most of the time. (at least it is to me, but remember according to darkplague i'm stupid ) by reading this book, you'll either gain a basic statistical foundation that you can build on, or you'll at least reinforce a lot of knowledge about statistics that you have already come across. there is also a lot of history discussed in the book, so enjoy.
      Yeah, I've read the first chapter, and it seems very good thus far.

      By the way, tonjes, check your PM box.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 538280
        By the way, tonjes, check your PM box.
        sorry about that. i just checked it 5 minutes ago.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 538280
          Yeah, I've read the first chapter, and it seems very good thus far.

          By the way, tonjes, check your PM box.
          So, Chris, what did you think of the book?
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

          Comment


          • #6
            I've read it. It's good. They seem to get things right.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Elysian Fields
              I've read it. It's good. They seem to get things right.
              Example? The book is on my list of books to purchase.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

              Comment


              • #8
                i read it when it came out - can't remember the specifics but i did like that it ranks my orioles 1969-71 among the top tier of all-time great teams - but anyway - it was a quick and easy read - not stat laden - chapters flew by and were enjoyable as any history book is reliving the time and players - i wouldn't say a great source of new info but a nice source that concentrates the data

                i will say that too many rely on the world series as a determinant of greatness - to me a pennant victory (or near-pennnnt victory) is more important

                the book does not devote chapters to many dynasties such as the early pirates, the red sox of the 1910s, giants of the 1920s, the cardinals of the 1930s, dodgers of the 1960s, yankees of the 1970s and others

                Comment

                Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X