No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm currently reading J. Thomas Hetrick's Chris Von der Ahe and the St. Louis Browns. It's the only book out there that passes as a biography of Von der Ahe. It's well written and reasonably well researched but I'm disappointed in it so far. Hentrich pretty much skimmed over Von der Ahe's life prior to 1880 and he tends to report stories which are probably apocryphal as fact.

I also just finished reading a biography of Shepard Barclay, a former Chief Justice of the Missouri Supreme Court who played baseball in St. Louis during the 1860's. Not a lot of baseball information in it but enough to have made it worthwhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeArostegui View Post
      Has anyone read this --

Crazy '08: How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads, and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History by Cait N. Murphy (Paperback - Feb 19, 2008)

sounds great.
      thanks everyone.
      There have been several posts regarding that book in this thread. Do an advanced search using Cait Murphy as the key words, and choose this forum (Books, Literature) from the list available, and choose the results be listed as posts. That should give you a good starting point. Hope that helps!:cap:
      You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• Went to a book fare today and picked up a very nice copy of Total Baseball Second Edition . . . for a buck! Been pouring over it for a couple of hours and it's the best dollar I've spent in quite some time.

ME
        Pitching, Defense, and a Three-Run Homer

Comment

• What a deal! And you can get lost in that book for days....
          Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Comment

• Reading Mike Lupica's new novel "The Big Field". Good young adult book.

Comment

• Fienstien's book about Glavine and Mussina's 07 season

Season in the Black

Comment

• Originally posted by dmullen View Post
                Fienstien's book about Glavine and Mussina's 07 season

Season in the Black
                I've considered picking this up. How is it thus far?

I just finished "The Niekro Files" by Joe and Phil Niekro which followed them during the 1987 season where they broke the record from most wins by a pair of brothers. An enjoyable and quick read.

Now I'm reading "Making the Play" by Dave Winfield
                My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

• I've been reading a lot of baseball books in the last six months or so. Among them, are:

Is This A Great game, Or What? by Tim Kurkjian

The Baseball Uncyclopedia by Michael Kun

Cobb by Al Stump

Fair Ball: A Fan's Case For Baseball by Bob Costas

the Mick by Mickey Mantle w/ Herb Gluck

Right now I am reading:

Ball Four by Jim Bouton

I'm new to the forum, and not really up on all the rules yet. If it is a problem that I linked to Amazon pages for them, I won't be offended if you delete this. The reason I linked there, is because it usually offers a little synopsis and reader reviews.

Comment

• Originally posted by DWB View Post
                    I've been reading a lot of baseball books in the last six months or so. Among them, are:

Is This A Great game, Or What? by Tim Kurkjian

The Baseball Uncyclopedia by Michael Kun

Cobb by Al Stump

Fair Ball: A Fan's Case For Baseball by Bob Costas

the Mick by Mickey Mantle w/ Herb Gluck

Right now I am reading:

Ball Four by Jim Bouton

I'm new to the forum, and not really up on all the rules yet. If it is a problem that I linked to Amazon pages for them, I won't be offended if you delete this. The reason I linked there, is because it usually offers a little synopsis and reader reviews.
                    What did you think of Kurkjian's book?

Fair Ball and Ball Four are two of my favs
                    Baseball Journeyman

Comment

• Just picked up "The Code" by Ross Bernstein yesterday.
                      sigpic"I'm flattered that so many baseball people think I'm a Hall of Famer. But what's hard to believe is how one-hundred and fifty plus people have changed their minds about me since I became eligible, because I haven't had a base hit since then." - Richie Ashburn

Comment

• Originally posted by TheJourneyman View Post
                        What did you think of Kurkjian's book?

Fair Ball and Ball Four are two of my favs

I liked Kurkjian's book. It was a pretty quick read, but i was full of interesting stories and information. Also, I respect him, and I think he has a good baseball brain and legit love for the game.

Comment

• I just started Hammerin' Hank, George Almighty, and the Say Hey Kid by John Rosengren. It's about the 1973 season. So far it's pretty good (I'm only on chapter 3).

Comment

• I finished "Three Nights in August" recently. I liked the Game One part. After that there were too many chapters that sidetracked from the main story like the chapters on Rick Ankiel and Darryl Kile. I didn't really care for them.
                            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

• Almost finished with Eig's Opening Day. I'll be posting about some of Eig's conclusions about Jackie Robinson's first season with the Dodgers.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                                Almost finished with Eig's Opening Day. I'll be posting about some of Eig's conclusions about Jackie Robinson's first season with the Dodgers.
                                3 Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy. Inside the Mind of a Manager.

Some great insights into how baseball has changed (almost universally for the worse) since the 70's. I'll be posting excerpts.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X