No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm about 5 chapters into "COBB: The life and times of the meanest mas who ever played baseball" by Al Stump.

I'm sure many of you have read this. Really good so far, very interesting.

Comment

• Just finished James and Neyers The Guide To Pitchers. Obviously a lot of research went into it, but not the type of book you just want to sit down and read - at least not the pitcher listings, although there is a lot of good info on some of the pitchers in that section. The other sections, with essays by James and Neyer, are very good - as is usual for those two authors.

Am now reading The Best of Baseball Digest. There were a lot of very good authors who wrote for, and articles in, that small monthly. It has been a most enjoyable read so far.
      You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• The Gashouse Gang. A good book from last year that didn't get a lot of recognition. As was Sal Maglie: Baseball's Demon Barber.

Comment

• I have been reading Harold Parrott's The Lords of Baseball. A lot of rich detail, and it certainly is lively, although I have some doubts about whether his prejudices led him down a few wrong pathways.

Comment

• juss started the thinking fans guide to baseball...

libraries are great...

Comment

• Half way through

Drysdales book

"Once A Bum Always A Dodger"
              "I see no reason why a small-market team like the Twins or Expos can't continue to remain competitive, just because it lacks players," Selig said.

Comment

• Presently: A Great Day in Cooperstown: The Miraculous and Unlikely Beginning of the Baseball Hall of Fame by Jim Reisler

Next: But Didn't We Hvae Fun?: An Informal History of Baseball's Pioneer Era, 1843-1870 by Peter Morris
                "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• Mustache Gang

The Mustache Gang is a terrific book about the Swinging A's.

Comment

• Crazy '08 ??

Has anyone read this --

Crazy '08: How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads, and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History by Cait N. Murphy (Paperback - Feb 19, 2008)

sounds great.
                    thanks everyone.

Comment

• I'm currently reading J. Thomas Hetrick's Chris Von der Ahe and the St. Louis Browns. It's the only book out there that passes as a biography of Von der Ahe. It's well written and reasonably well researched but I'm disappointed in it so far. Hentrich pretty much skimmed over Von der Ahe's life prior to 1880 and he tends to report stories which are probably apocryphal as fact.

I also just finished reading a biography of Shepard Barclay, a former Chief Justice of the Missouri Supreme Court who played baseball in St. Louis during the 1860's. Not a lot of baseball information in it but enough to have made it worthwhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeArostegui View Post
                        Has anyone read this --

Crazy '08: How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads, and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History by Cait N. Murphy (Paperback - Feb 19, 2008)

sounds great.
                        thanks everyone.
                        There have been several posts regarding that book in this thread. Do an advanced search using Cait Murphy as the key words, and choose this forum (Books, Literature) from the list available, and choose the results be listed as posts. That should give you a good starting point. Hope that helps!:cap:
                        You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• Went to a book fare today and picked up a very nice copy of Total Baseball Second Edition . . . for a buck! Been pouring over it for a couple of hours and it's the best dollar I've spent in quite some time.

ME
                          Pitching, Defense, and a Three-Run Homer

Comment

• What a deal! And you can get lost in that book for days....
                            Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Comment

• Reading Mike Lupica's new novel "The Big Field". Good young adult book.

Comment

• Fienstien's book about Glavine and Mussina's 07 season

Season in the Black

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X