No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently finished The Umpire Strikes Back by Ron Luciano from about 26 years ago. Great book. Made me laugh out loud a couple of times. Currently half way through Rob Neyer's Big Book Of Baseball Legends. I want his job!
    "I had to move my outfielders ten steps to the right, so that after Palmer moves them back five steps to the left, they'll end up in the right place."
    Earl Weaver

Comment

• I'm re-reading "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King. Not EXACTLY a baseball book; but a good one anyway. In my copy, though, every instance of Varitek's name is spelled "Veritek" which is a bit distracting.
      sigpic
      Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
      Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

• Right now I'm reading this thread

In all seriousness, wife picked up a copy of Leonard Koppett's The New Thinking Fan's Guide To Baseball for me at a flea market yesterday.

Probably one of the best books ever.
        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Probably better than McCarver's Baseball for Brain Surgeons (or whatever it's called). I have tried several times to read it, but it's written the way he talks, and I just can't get into it.

Yep, GO PHILLIES!!
          Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Comment

• 1924: Baseball's Greatest Season to coincide with Strat-O-Matic's release of its 1924 card set in January.

Comment

• The Baseball Economist: The Real Game Exposed by J. C. Bradbury
              "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

• Breaking into Baseball by Jean Ardell

Comment

• "Big Bam" by Leigh Montville.

Everytime I read about Ruth, I wonder why he is not included in "biggest jerks" threads.
                  He ignored people's names, disregarded his daughter and wife, and played annoying practical jokes on everybody. I do not think I would have liked to have been in the presence of Ruth. It seems that for his case only, fellow posters disregard his personality in favor of his greatness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ex-Expo fan View Post
                    "Big Bam" by Leigh Montville.

Everytime I read about Ruth, I wonder why he is not included in "biggest jerks" threads.
                    He ignored people's names, disregarded his daughter and wife, and played annoying practical jokes on everybody. I do not think I would have liked to have been in the presence of Ruth. It seems that for his case only, fellow posters disregard his personality in favor of his greatness.
                    Have you read Creamer's book? I am planning to read that one rather than the Montville book. I think people give Ruth a pass as he was a very gregarious guy, although very self-centered. I think you WOULD have enjoyed his presence, although realizing he wasn't a good husband / father. He was and remained a child, perhaps due to his rough upbringing.

Comment

• OK - just finished 1924 (excellent) and am moving on to Damn Senators (about the 1924 Senators and Joe Judge in particular (written by his grandson). Very enjoyable, esp for those of us who live in the DC area, regarding what the city was like in the 1920s.

Comment

• Hank Aaron and the Home Run that changed America by Tom Stanton
                        My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

• Some I've read recently, haven't mentioned as far as I know

The Bronx Zoo
                          Lefty Grove: American Original
                          Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame?
                          Eight Men Out
                          The Boys of Summer
                          Hitter: The Life and Turmoils of Ted Williams
                          Baseball's Great Experiment

Currently on The Long Season
                          "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

• The Bad Guys Won! by Jeff Pearlman

Comment

• Finished The Long Season, now working on Where They Ain't by Burt Solomon. Good book, and Solomon shows a talent for writing in the style of the time, making the book even more enjoyable.

- Alvin Dark

Comment

• The Summer Game by Roger Angell. Such a wonderful book, though I'm in shock at the fact that a lot of the action in this book is over forty years old, that means I'm getting old -- Yikes! The account of the 1967 Boston Red Sox is still some of the best writing on baseball ever.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X