No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished Mike Lupica's new novel "The Big Field". This is a fictional account of a young player whose team is in the playoffs with the final game -if they get that far- on the Roger Dean Field in South Florida (the big field). If you enjoy stories about young people and what they go through on and off the field I'd recommend it as well written and some good baseball talk.

Comment

• Originally posted by baseballdad View Post
      Just finished Mike Lupica's new novel "The Big Field". This is a fictional account of a young player whose team is in the playoffs with the final game -if they get that far- on the Roger Dean Field in South Florida (the big field). If you enjoy stories about young people and what they go through on and off the field I'd recommend it as well written and some good baseball talk.
      Roger Dean in Jupiter?

I try to get to a spring training game there every year. I'll have to check that book out. Thanks.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Yep, Roger Dean in Jupiter. Most of the book takes place in the Palm Beach area.

Comment

• Originally posted by baseballdad View Post
          Yep, Roger Dean in Jupiter. Most of the book takes place in the Palm Beach area.
          Cool.

I admit I don't know much about Lupica besides what I see on the TV. Did he write this out of his own experiences or that of being a baseball dad, himself?
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• I don't know much about him either. This is from Amazon.com, but some of it could be a spoiler for the book:

Q: Where did the idea for The Big Field come from?

A: If it has one starting point, it was when Alex Rodriguez came to the Yankees and left shortstop to play third base. It wasn't so much that Rodriguez was the best all-around player in baseball at the time. It was that I knew he'd always thought of himself as a shortstop. I'm not sure he still doesn't think of himself as a shortstop. And suddenly he was a third baseman. Hutch isn't the best player in this book; Darryl Williams is. But Hutch had been a shortstop his whole life, it defined him as a ballplayer, and now because of the presence of Darryl on their American Legion team, he has to go to second base. It's the starting off point in a book that is ultimately about fathers and sons. But it's about a player having to leave his best position for the good of his team.

Q: In The Big Field, the emotional heart of the story is Keith "Hutch" Hutchinson's relationship with his father, a washed-up ballplayer and former boy phenomenon who never advanced past the minor leagues and who completely soured on the game, setting the stage for a distant relationship with his son. Why did you decide to focus on the father-son dynamic in this novel?

A: Sometimes with fathers and sons, when they can't communicate, they fall back on sports. It is like some universal language for fathers and sons. But at the start of The Big Field, Hutch and his dad don't even have that. And their journey, both of them, and I think it's a great journey, is finding that language again, finding a bond they never really lost. And finding each other.

Q: Can you offer any advice for aspiring sports writers?

A: Read the best guys, in books and newspapers and magazines. And then find ways to write. Write for the school paper, write anywhere you can, but write. I believe strongly that if you have the talent and the spirit, somebody will find you.

Q: When writing a young character do you find yourself looking back to yourself at that age? Or your children?

A: I look back to myself, and remember how important sports were to me, the fellowship, just the sheer fun of having a game with my buddies even if it wasn't organized. I tell people all the time that I still go to games thinking I might see something I've never seen before. I still have that feeling. But more than that, I see sports through the eyes of my children, too. See what they think is good, or cool, or worth watching. See what excites them. They've made me smarter about sports, they really have. But then that always happens when you hang around smart people.

Q: Have you started working on your next book? Can you give us a sneak peak?

A: My next book is already finished. It's about a young foster child, and his love for baseball. He's a catcher. And I think you're going to like him. The book is called "Safe at Home." The book I'm writing right now is my first soccer book. That's all I'm going to tell you!

Comment

• Just finished Tales From The Dodger Dugout by Carl Erskine & The Mind Of Bill James by Scott Gray. Former is a fun little breeze if you're a Dodgers fan and the other is something any Bill James fan or modern stat dweeb will plow through in a few hours.

I checked out The Complete History Of The Negro Leagues by Mark Ribowsky & Shades of Glory by Lawrence D. Hogan. Those should keep me occupied. After, I'll go for The Beer & Whiskey League and that pennant race book from The Baseball Prospectus team.
              1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

1889 1890 1899 1900 1916 1920
              1941 1947 1949 1952 1953 1956
              1966 1974 1977 1978

1983 1985 1995 2004 2008 2009
              2013 2014

1996 2006

Comment

• Just finished Canseco's "Juiced" and Buck O'Neil's "I Was Right On Time". Both very good. I love books on the Negro Leagues and I was surprised how much I enjoyed Canseco's book and having read it now, after almost everything he said has turned out to be accurate, it was a fun read.

I think I'll be reading "Pray for Gil Hodges" next.
                Clyde's Stale Cards - A blog about the international world of baseball cards.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChuckBrown View Post
                  I just started Hammerin' Hank, George Almighty, and the Say Hey Kid by John Rosengren. It's about the 1973 season. So far it's pretty good (I'm only on chapter 3).
                  Keep me updated. Thats a subject I like very much. 1973 was my coming of age baseball year
                  http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I just finished A Great and Glorious Game: The Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett Giamatti. I'd recommend it very highly, particularly the classic essay "Baseball and the American Character" and the fascinating "Statement Released to the Press on the Pete Rose Matter."
                    sigpic Please check out my book, Mets Fan
                    Please check out my blog, Mets Fan Blog
                    Read about my new book The Last Days of Shea

Comment

• I am currently reading "The Kansas City A's and The Wrong half of the Yankees". I'm having some trouble getting into it,I'm about half way through it.I hope it picks up. I plan to read the Feinstien book next.

Comment

• Reading Ed Barrow: The Bulldog Who Built the Yankees' First Dynasty.
                        First 100 pages were a little dry, but it's picking up now with Ruth in the mix. I think it's going to be good.

Comment

• Confessions of a Baseball Purist, by Jon Miller and Mark Hyman
                          MySpace Codes

Comment

• Current reading: The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball by Frank De Ford via audio book.

EXCELLENT is the word!!

Comment

• Currently reading a book on scouting called Dollar Sign On The Muscle and also reading the Baseball Economist.

Comment

• I recently finished The Umpire Strikes Back by Ron Luciano from about 26 years ago. Great book. Made me laugh out loud a couple of times. Currently half way through Rob Neyer's Big Book Of Baseball Legends. I want his job!
                                "I had to move my outfielders ten steps to the right, so that after Palmer moves them back five steps to the left, they'll end up in the right place."
                                Earl Weaver

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X