No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new book written as a tribute to the late great Harry Kalas is now available at Wawa Food Markets. "Remembering Harry Kalas" by Rich Wolfe is a keepsake book that shares behind the scenes stories about one of Philadelphia's most beloved broadcasters
    sigpic

Comment

• Reading "The Complete Game" by Ron Darling. An excellent read. Best baseball book I've read all year!
      unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
      unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
      unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

• Currently, I'm reading Baseball and Philosophy, edited by Eric Bronson, from 2006. Some of the chapters include one on the faith of Cubs' fans, one on umpiring well, one on the ethics of cheating and its various forms in baseball, and a "press conference" final chapter where they debate Pete Rose and the Hall, superstitious behavior in baseball and steroid use. Fantastic stuff, because I know of no other collection which addresses baseball and philosophy at all. Its worth reviewing through interlibrary loan, if nothing else.
        Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

• Satchel

I just finished Satchel by Larry Tye. It was an excellent study of the man and I would highly recommend it to everyone.
          Also a quick note on Burying the Black Sox. It's author, Gene Carney, passed away this week. He will sorely be missed as an avid devotee to learning more about the scandal and, much more than that, as a person.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sportkrank21 View Post
            I just finished Satchel by Larry Tye. It was an excellent study of the man and I would highly recommend it to everyone.
            Also a quick note on Burying the Black Sox. It's author, Gene Carney, passed away this week. He will sorely be missed as an avid devotee to learning more about the scandal and, much more than that, as a person.
            I had no idea. Mr. Carney would post here on occasion at the request of Bill Burgess. RIP.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Glory of Their Times

This is probably something that I should've read a long time ago given it's historical significance. But hey, better late than never I suppose.

So far it's been a great read.
              "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
              -Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by rsuriyop View Post
                This is probably something that I should've read a long time ago given it's historical significance. But hey, better late than never I suppose.

So far it's been a great read.
                Quite probably the best baseball book I have read. Every baseball fan alive should thank Ritter for seeking out and interviewing those old ballplayers before they were all gone.

A similar book, although not as good as Ritter's, is Voices From Cooperstown by Anthony J. Connor. He does interviews with hall of famers from all eras, but breaks the book into chapters by different titles and then has quotes from various HOFers on the issue.

Fay Vincent also did something similar with players from the forties in The Only Game In Town. A good read but IMHO he didn't come close to what Ritter did.
                You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• Also, Donald Honig did an informal "sequel" (with Ritter's blessing) to Glory of Their Times called Baseball When the Grass Was Real, featuring players from the 20's-40's. I haven't read it, but I'm currently reading his The Man In The Dugout, which is a similar style of book, only with managers instead of players. It's pretty good so far, though it's certainly not Glory of Their Times.
                  Last edited by mwiggins; 07-10-2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Also, Jerome Holtzman's No Cheering in the Pressbox is of a similar ilk. He interviewed old sports reporters rather than players or managers. It's a great book; in fact I think I prefer it over The Glory of Their Times in that it provides a different but very insightful look into the game of the early 20th century. The old reporters speak of things they probably wouldn't have reported on at the time because of the code between players, teams and sports reporters to keep the coverage between the lines. How things have changed, in that today the bulk of the reporting is what's happening off the field, not on it.
                    Hack Wilson - He was built like a beer keg and was not unfamiliar with its contents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sportkrank21 View Post
                      I'm picking up Satchel as well, but will wait until I finish "After Many A Summer" by Robert Murphy. It's about the Dodgers AND Giants leaving New York, and is a gripping read. Honestly,. I've read, researched and talked about this subject so much that I thought I was an expert, but Murphy's book is really full of things I haven't read anywhere else, and tremendously well-written.
                      "With most great players on other teams, you notice how great they are, but when they become teammates and you see them everyday, you notice the flaws. It is exactly the opposite with George Brett." - Jim Sundberg

Comment

• The Summer Game by Roger Angell.

I'm really enjoying it. However it seems to be taking me forever to read it.
                        If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• The Last Commissioner: A Baseball Valentine by Fay Vincent. Pretty good, a quick read. Nice insight to the Rose situation.
                          Enough already! Let's get Quiz and Frank White into the Hall Of Fame ASAP!!! Go ROYALS!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Allie Fox View Post
                            The Summer Game by Roger Angell.

I'm really enjoying it. However it seems to be taking me forever to read it.
                            Take your time and savor it
                            3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

Comment

• Yesterday I picked up The Baseball Economist for a clam at Waldenbooks. I plan on starting it if I can ever finish The Summer Game.
                              If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• I'm re-reading The Glory of Their Times for probably the 10th time, but the first time in about five years. Still the best baseball book ever. I'm enjoying it this time as much as the first time.
                                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X