No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadball Stars of the American League by SABR. I highly recommend this book as well as it's companion Deadball Stars of the National League, which I finished quite some time ago. Very informative and enlightening.

Also working on Wait Till Next Year, by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Not so much simply a baseball book as a total reminiscence of her childhood, with the Brooklyn Dodgers being the centerpiece. Quite an enjoyable read, particularly if you happen to be a Catholic and can really relate to that aspect of her upbringing.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• Originally posted by AussieYank View Post
      The Long Ball "The summer of '75 - Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the greatest World Series ever played"
      By Tom Adelman

I am really enjoying this book. Next on the list is TY & the Babe by Tom Stanton
      Yea, 'Summer of '75' was enjoyable. It might be one of the better books written about that World Series. I think its been covered time and again.
      My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

• "A-Rod" by Selena Roberts

This guy is even more a piece of work then I first thought...

Comment

• Nine innings by Daniel Okrent
          My blog - http://sandlotwisdom.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Just finished As They Seem 'Em by Bruce Weber following umpires around. Very much enjoyed it, even if it wasn't a manuel esque look at umpiring it definitely succeeds in making them more human, and doesn't give excuses for their infallibility.
            Huge Yankees & Mike Mussina Fan

Check Out My Youtube Channel For More Of My Yankees Collection

Check Out My MLB 2K11 Yankees Franchise

Comment

• Just picked up "Satch, Dizzy and Rapid Ropbert" so far, so very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eyeshade View Post
                Just picked up "Satch, Dizzy and Rapid Ropbert" so far, so very good.
                I been wanting to read that, may havew to do it very soon!
                "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

• I've spent a decent amount of time with Mr. Feller and this book is pretty honest about him, warts and all. It does credit him as being ahead of his time in being a "corporate" athlete. It also presents him as a bit of a cold fish and a little bigoted, which he also is. He is also a very decent human being who has made the mistake of being politically incorrect in an era that doesn't like that sort of thing. A really enjoyable read. Mr.Gray's last book on Tris Speaker was very good too, and long overdue.

Comment

• Reading "The Echoing Green" by Joshua Prager ( on my train commute to work) which details the sign stealing scheme of the 1951 NY Giants, the 1951 Pennent race, and the post "Shot heard round the world" relationship between Branca and Thomson. It is an excellent read, and thorougly engrossing. Highly recommended. Also reading "The Complete Game" by Ron Darling (at home) it is an interesting read into the mind of a professional ballplayer, as Darling takes us into the thinking mans part of pitching, and what goes through a pitchers mind. Both the mundane (is there a secret tunnel to the bullpen? or should I cut across the field) and decisive (how to work out of a jam in the World Series). It is also a very good book. Both are about 300-350 pages, but are quick reads.
                    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

I've spent a decent amount of time with Mr. Feller and this book is pretty honest about him, warts and all. It does credit him as being ahead of his time in being a "corporate" athlete. It also presents him as a bit of a cold fish and a little bigoted, which he also is. He is also a very decent human being who has made the mistake of being politically incorrect in an era that doesn't like that sort of thing. A really enjoyable read. Mr.Gray's last book on Tris Speaker was very good too, and long overdue.
                      Actually, one of the things I like most about Feller is the fact that he says what he thinks. This county has gone way too far in the opposite direction, IMHO.
                      You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• Originally posted by catcher24 View Post
                        Actually, one of the things I like most about Feller is the fact that he says what he thinks. This county has gone way too far in the opposite direction, IMHO.
                        Yeah, Bob is refreshingly candid and honest. Agreed on the speaking what's on your mind. When you get to be 91, and a living legend, the world can just "deal".

Comment

Yeah, Bob is refreshingly candid and honest. Agreed on the speaking what's on your mind. When you get to be 91, and a living legend, the world can just "deal".

Incredibly, Feller pitched in the HOF Classic game at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown last June, and is so far planning on appearing in this June's game as well! I hope I'm half as agile as he is at 91 if and when I make it that far.

Comment

• I attended Indians Fantasy Camp this January and was bummed that it was the first year that Bob didn't pitch to a few of us. I guess it was too cold and wet for the week we were there. But he did host a few bull-sessions and sign everything that wasn't nailed down.

Comment

I attended Indians Fantasy Camp this January and was bummed that it was the first year that Bob didn't pitch to a few of us. I guess it was too cold and wet for the week we were there. But he did host a few bull-sessions and sign everything that wasn't nailed down.
                              Wow, you lucky stiff! I've always wanted to go to a fantasy camp but unfortunately it has never been financially feasible for me to do it. I'd love to have Feller's autograph on a baseball.

BTW, didn't the fantasy camp attendees get to play a game at The Jake (yeah, I know it's renamed but it'll always be The Jake to me) sometime over the summer? Or was that Pirates fantasy camp? I know one of the other had the participants back in June or July to play a game at the team's home park.

Comment

• I'm reading the new Willie Mays bio. Some of it is interesting (mainly the early SF days) most of it isn't. The life story of Willie Mays doesn't come off as very compelling to me.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X