Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just picked up "Satch, Dizzy and Rapid Ropbert" so far, so very good.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Eyeshade View Post
      Just picked up "Satch, Dizzy and Rapid Ropbert" so far, so very good.
      I been wanting to read that, may havew to do it very soon!
      "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

      "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

      Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

      Comment


      • I've spent a decent amount of time with Mr. Feller and this book is pretty honest about him, warts and all. It does credit him as being ahead of his time in being a "corporate" athlete. It also presents him as a bit of a cold fish and a little bigoted, which he also is. He is also a very decent human being who has made the mistake of being politically incorrect in an era that doesn't like that sort of thing. A really enjoyable read. Mr.Gray's last book on Tris Speaker was very good too, and long overdue.

        Comment


        • Reading "The Echoing Green" by Joshua Prager ( on my train commute to work) which details the sign stealing scheme of the 1951 NY Giants, the 1951 Pennent race, and the post "Shot heard round the world" relationship between Branca and Thomson. It is an excellent read, and thorougly engrossing. Highly recommended. Also reading "The Complete Game" by Ron Darling (at home) it is an interesting read into the mind of a professional ballplayer, as Darling takes us into the thinking mans part of pitching, and what goes through a pitchers mind. Both the mundane (is there a secret tunnel to the bullpen? or should I cut across the field) and decisive (how to work out of a jam in the World Series). It is also a very good book. Both are about 300-350 pages, but are quick reads.
          unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
          unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
          unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Eyeshade View Post
            I've spent a decent amount of time with Mr. Feller and this book is pretty honest about him, warts and all. It does credit him as being ahead of his time in being a "corporate" athlete. It also presents him as a bit of a cold fish and a little bigoted, which he also is. He is also a very decent human being who has made the mistake of being politically incorrect in an era that doesn't like that sort of thing. A really enjoyable read. Mr.Gray's last book on Tris Speaker was very good too, and long overdue.
            Actually, one of the things I like most about Feller is the fact that he says what he thinks. This county has gone way too far in the opposite direction, IMHO.
            You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

            Comment


            • Originally posted by catcher24 View Post
              Actually, one of the things I like most about Feller is the fact that he says what he thinks. This county has gone way too far in the opposite direction, IMHO.
              Yeah, Bob is refreshingly candid and honest. Agreed on the speaking what's on your mind. When you get to be 91, and a living legend, the world can just "deal".

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Eyeshade View Post
                Yeah, Bob is refreshingly candid and honest. Agreed on the speaking what's on your mind. When you get to be 91, and a living legend, the world can just "deal".


                Incredibly, Feller pitched in the HOF Classic game at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown last June, and is so far planning on appearing in this June's game as well! I hope I'm half as agile as he is at 91 if and when I make it that far.
                You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

                Comment


                • I attended Indians Fantasy Camp this January and was bummed that it was the first year that Bob didn't pitch to a few of us. I guess it was too cold and wet for the week we were there. But he did host a few bull-sessions and sign everything that wasn't nailed down.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Eyeshade View Post
                    I attended Indians Fantasy Camp this January and was bummed that it was the first year that Bob didn't pitch to a few of us. I guess it was too cold and wet for the week we were there. But he did host a few bull-sessions and sign everything that wasn't nailed down.
                    Wow, you lucky stiff! I've always wanted to go to a fantasy camp but unfortunately it has never been financially feasible for me to do it. I'd love to have Feller's autograph on a baseball.

                    BTW, didn't the fantasy camp attendees get to play a game at The Jake (yeah, I know it's renamed but it'll always be The Jake to me) sometime over the summer? Or was that Pirates fantasy camp? I know one of the other had the participants back in June or July to play a game at the team's home park.
                    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

                    Comment


                    • I'm reading the new Willie Mays bio. Some of it is interesting (mainly the early SF days) most of it isn't. The life story of Willie Mays doesn't come off as very compelling to me.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                        I'm reading the new Willie Mays bio. Some of it is interesting (mainly the early SF days) most of it isn't. The life story of Willie Mays doesn't come off as very compelling to me.
                        I'm reading that also. I'm still in the early years, just getting to the Giants. Based on what I've read so far, it almost seems to me that the author had a difficult time getting much information out of Mays and the book seems based a lot on interviews with others. It's interesting, if only to recall the way the country was back then. Can't really say as I'd recommend purchasing the book, though. I probably wouldn't myself, but it was a gift.
                        You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

                        Comment


                        • Currently reading "Cobb" by Al Stump, for the first time, though I've owned it for months I am just now diving into it. ENTHRALLING, to say the least, definitely my favorite baseball biography I've read yet.

                          Looking into an Ed Delahanty book...the "July 3, etc." book looks interesting, but it has to be an exhaustive read - an entire book devoted to one night, one murder? Anyone read it?

                          Also I could use another recommendation for a read on Delahanty.
                          http://www.buffsscriptures.com/wordofbuff/

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by ChiSox1917 View Post
                            Currently reading "Cobb" by Al Stump, for the first time, though I've owned it for months I am just now diving into it. ENTHRALLING, to say the least, definitely my favorite baseball biography I've read yet.

                            Looking into an Ed Delahanty book...the "July 3, etc." book looks interesting, but it has to be an exhaustive read - an entire book devoted to one night, one murder? Anyone read it?

                            Also I could use another recommendation for a read on Delahanty.
                            I haven't read a book on Deleahanty, but from what I have read, I don't believe he was murdered.
                            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

                            Comment


                            • Read the Delahanty book several years ago. It was pretty good, but quite "conspiracy" feeling if I remember. There is a nother book on him out that I have but haven't read yet called "Ed Delahanty and the Emerald Age of Baseball". Anyone read that one yet?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                                I haven't read a book on Deleahanty, but from what I have read, I don't believe he was murdered.
                                Yeah my bad, my mind was somewhere else - suicide or accident, not sure which the "July 3" book thinks.

                                But from what I've read in other books, including Bill James' H.A., it states that there is very little information available on Big Ed. That Emerald Age book looks interesting though, here is the link for customer reviews on Amazon:
                                http://www.amazon.com/Ed-Delahanty-E...9970985&sr=8-1

                                Bookfinder and Amazon don't have a single copy below $17-$18 it appears..eh.
                                http://www.buffsscriptures.com/wordofbuff/

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X