What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    I'm reading the new Willie Mays bio. Some of it is interesting (mainly the early SF days) most of it isn't. The life story of Willie Mays doesn't come off as very compelling to me.
    I'm reading that also. I'm still in the early years, just getting to the Giants. Based on what I've read so far, it almost seems to me that the author had a difficult time getting much information out of Mays and the book seems based a lot on interviews with others. It's interesting, if only to recall the way the country was back then. Can't really say as I'd recommend purchasing the book, though. I probably wouldn't myself, but it was a gift.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• Currently reading "Cobb" by Al Stump, for the first time, though I've owned it for months I am just now diving into it. ENTHRALLING, to say the least, definitely my favorite baseball biography I've read yet.

Looking into an Ed Delahanty book...the "July 3, etc." book looks interesting, but it has to be an exhaustive read - an entire book devoted to one night, one murder? Anyone read it?

Also I could use another recommendation for a read on Delahanty.
      http://www.buffsscriptures.com/wordofbuff/

Comment

• Originally posted by ChiSox1917 View Post
        Currently reading "Cobb" by Al Stump, for the first time, though I've owned it for months I am just now diving into it. ENTHRALLING, to say the least, definitely my favorite baseball biography I've read yet.

Looking into an Ed Delahanty book...the "July 3, etc." book looks interesting, but it has to be an exhaustive read - an entire book devoted to one night, one murder? Anyone read it?

Also I could use another recommendation for a read on Delahanty.
        I haven't read a book on Deleahanty, but from what I have read, I don't believe he was murdered.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Read the Delahanty book several years ago. It was pretty good, but quite "conspiracy" feeling if I remember. There is a nother book on him out that I have but haven't read yet called "Ed Delahanty and the Emerald Age of Baseball". Anyone read that one yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            I haven't read a book on Deleahanty, but from what I have read, I don't believe he was murdered.
            Yeah my bad, my mind was somewhere else - suicide or accident, not sure which the "July 3" book thinks.

But from what I've read in other books, including Bill James' H.A., it states that there is very little information available on Big Ed. That Emerald Age book looks interesting though, here is the link for customer reviews on Amazon:
            http://www.amazon.com/Ed-Delahanty-E...9970985&sr=8-1

Bookfinder and Amazon don't have a single copy below $17-$18 it appears..eh.
            http://www.buffsscriptures.com/wordofbuff/

Comment

• Joe Posnaski's Big Red Machine was an even better read of the 1975 season and WS, although told entirely from the Reds' point of view. I found some stuff in Long Ball - particularly all the Casey Stengel stuff - really distracting.

Comment

• 1921, the new Joe Cronin bio, the new Willie Mays book, the new book on Old Hoss Radbourne - all beckon to me.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by LDYanks16 View Post
                  Thanks for your response. I do agree that the question under which Odd Man Out has come does take something away from the book, but fortunately I didn't find out about the alleged inaccuracies until after I'd finished it.

Overall, it's still worth the read. Anytime an "inside the locker room" or "inside the life" book is written, challenges to its accuracy are pretty much to be expected. Even if McCarthy did take some liberties with the book, it does not put much of a damper on it for me, because the most intriguing points still stood.

Embellishing a story about a pitcher being taken out of a game for refusing to throw at a batter, or exaggerating the hijinks of the Latin American players, etc. may just have been necessary to drive home the "reader experience." McCarthy had almost a year's time in pro ball to forge into his mind that experience, while the reader only has 300-some pages to do so.

It's similar to how a screenplay may only have time for one scene to drive home a point that ideally would require 3-4 scenes, but since no one wants a 4-hour movie, the one allotted scene is made more intense in order to stick it in the viewer's mind.

Even if it's not 100% real, the book still took me into a world I only thought I knew about - the bus rides, the organizational pressure, the rivalries and resentment between teammates, the meager pay - it all gave me an ever greater appreciation for just how good you have to be, and how tough it really is, the make it to the show.
                  I was planning to read this but can't now. Any book that purports to be non-fiction but where the author can be demonstrated to take liberties with the truth to make a story more interesting simply doesn't interest me.

Comment

• Originally posted by catcher24 View Post

Fay Vincent also did something similar with players from the forties in The Only Game In Town. A good read but IMHO he didn't come close to what Ritter did.
                    I thought this book was reallllly boring. Basically it sounded like Vincent had people record some memories, had them typed up, and then published. There's no sense of an interlocutor directing the accounts, trying to bring things out, probing, etc. This book could have been much more than it was.

Comment

• just started reading the Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst
                      MySpace Codes

Comment

• Originally posted by BaseballinDC View Post
                        1921, the new Joe Cronin bio, the new Willie Mays book, the new book on Old Hoss Radbourne - all beckon to me.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
                        The new Willie Mays book was pretty uninteresting.

Comment

• Just got done reading Fred Liebs book about Connie Mack, now Im off to the best of Baseball Digest, or something like that. Then Ill be reading the new Old Hoss Radbourn book.
                          "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                          -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                          -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

• "The Yankee Years" Torre and Verducci.

Comment

• Finished reading last week, "Rumor in Town." Story about Babe Dahlgren, the player who replaced Lou Gehrig. Excellant read. Started reading "October Men" by Roger Kahn. Next should be "Christy Mathewson" by Ray Robinson. Read it before, very good, with a few mistakes here and there. Happ Reading!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post

Fay Vincent also did something similar with players from the forties in The Only Game In Town. A good read but IMHO he didn't come close to what Ritter did.
                                I thought this book was reallllly boring. Basically it sounded like Vincent had people record some memories, had them typed up, and then published. There's no sense of an interlocutor directing the accounts, trying to bring things out, probing, etc. This book could have been much more than it was.
                                Agreed. I didn't find it as boring as you apparently did. Some of the info the players put forth was quite interesting. I do agree that it could have been improved dramatically with some additional editing, though. And as I said - it's not nearly as good as Ritter's "The Glory of Their Times".
                                You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X