What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    Actually I don't think I'd find Comiskey's involvement in a cover-up to be amazing at all. He was obviously trying to protect his investment in his team. It woud take a lot for me to revise my opinion on Jackson. When I was younger I thought he was innocent, but as time has gone on and I've read more about it, I think he was in on the fix and actively participated in it. I don't know if it was out of greed or fear, but I suspect it was a combination of both.

I'm going to try to get through this book later in the year. I don't like the non-linear method that Carney uses. It would be OK for a novel, but I don't think it works for non-fiction.
    Just the opposite here. I've been convinced for years that Jackson was guilty, but this book has sure changed my stance. He never attended any meetings, Williams used his name when he met with the gamblers and convinced the gamblers that Jackson was in. He then later gave Jackson some of the money he (Williams) got from the gamblers. Jackson tried to return it to Comiskey, but Comiskey's agent told him to keep it (again, Comiskey was covering his tracks). It certainly gives plenty of food for thought about the entire incident, as well as others.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• The Umpire Strikes Back, by Ron Luciano

Comment

• "The girl who loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King, where a 9-year-old Red Sox fan gets lost in the woods. Entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoTribe View Post
          "The girl who loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King, where a 9-year-old Red Sox fan gets lost in the woods. Entertaining.
          I met Gordon two years ago. He told me he loved the fame from the book.
          sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Just finished Leavy's book on Koufax. The Dodgers have been threatening to supplant the Cards as my favorite NL team for some time. This clinched it.
            The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
            http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by BaronSamedi View Post
              Just finished Leavy's book on Koufax. The Dodgers have been threatening to supplant the Cards as my favorite NL team for some time. This clinched it.
              It seems weird to switch allegiances based on stuff that happened almost 50 years ago. Could you explain what exactly in the book made you change your NL team? (I'm assuming your favorite team is an American League team.)

Comment

• Well, obviously I'm not basing it on just Koufax alone here, but it helps that it seems like Koufax and I have a number of common personality traits. However:
                -Half the time, the Dodgers played bad and found creative ways to lose, and the other half, they just broke hearts. This actually gives them a ton of commonality with my favorite hockey team. (I am a MAJOR puckhead, so my favorite hockey team is my favorite sports team, period.)

-The Dodgers were originally based in New York and they moved out. This allows me the cheat of rooting for a New York team without the stigma of hypocrisy. (Allow me to elaborate: I am originally from upstate New York, and I'm a vocal supporter of a movement that wants to throw New York City out of the state. My favorite team is the Yankees, and I sometimes feel that stigma, like I really shouldn't be a fan of a New York City team, but I also have a fierce loyalty to the state.)

-I've always had great respect for Branch Rickey. He ran both teams, and he turned baseball on its head with both teams.

-Believe it or not, I do respect Walter O'Malley for moving the team because the move opened up baseball to a whole new audience and made the game truly national.

-The Dodgers of Brooklyn were colorful and quirky. The Dodgers of Los Angeles are based in a city that's colorful and quirky. Colorful and quirky are also two words frequently used to describe me.

-My ancestry is deeply rooted in Brooklyn and the greater area, right up to my mother.

-Joe Torre.

-I'm something of a mythology nut, and it seems like eight out of every ten baseball myths involve the Dodgers in some way.

Really, the Dodgers should be my favorite baseball team overall, seeing as I prefer the NL style of play to the AL and the Yankees regularly engage in practices that I've found rather abhorrent. But with them being a common bonding point back home, I'm stuck, flaws and everything. Does this make any sense at all?

When I first chose my NL loyalty, I picked St. Louis out of a natural sense of obligation. At the time, they were going against Boston in the World Series and Boston had managed to dig their way out of a 3-0 in the ALCS that the Yanks put them into. That's all that mattered at the time, and I just ran with it instead of putting any effort into a choice.
                Last edited by BaronSamedi; 05-30-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BaronSamedi View Post
                  Really, the Dodgers should be my favorite baseball team overall, seeing as I prefer the NL style of play to the AL and the Yankees regularly engage in practices that I've found rather abhorrent. But with them being a common bonding point back home, I'm stuck, flaws and everything. Does this make any sense at all?
                  Yeah, it does.

I am always interested in hearing why people switch allegiances. You only switched your NL team which is your 2nd favorite team. I think when people switch allegiances from their primary team to one of that team's rivals is when I get really puzzled.

Comment

• "The Rocket that Fell to Earth" by Jeff Pearlman.
                    It's about Roger Clemens. If this book has got it right, Clemens was another one who was a real piece of work....

Up next: "The Last Hero." by Howard Bryant.
                    It's about Henry Aaron. I've only 'scan' read a few bits but some of the behind-the-scene info on Barry Bonds and hr#756 is amusing. In a sad way.

Comment

• "Big Hair and Plastic Grass: A Funky Ride Through Baseball and America in the Swinging '70s "
                      by Dan Epstein.

Just came out this week and this is on an era I have a strong fondness for more so than any other. I don't know, maybe its the fact that I was born in 1977, and as I like to say, the 70s were a blur to me...but not due to drugs!
                      NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                      Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                      Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

• Originally posted by Muncus Agruncus View Post
                        The Darling book is only 255 pages. I'll read it after I finish Veeck- As In Wreck.
                        Did you read "The Complete Game" yet? If so, what did you think?
                        unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                        unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                        unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

• I'm thinking my next will be The Machine, that new one about the Reds.

Comment

• Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                            Did you read "The Complete Game" yet? If so, what did you think?
                            I just started it on Monday and think it is excellent so far. I'm about 84 pages in. If it wasn't for babysitting my infant son after work, I'd probably finish it this week.

Comment

• I'm approaching the halfway point of Posnanski's The Machine. It isn't great so far.

Comment

• Odd Man Out by Matt MacCarthy.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X