No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm finally reading the Creamer bio of The Babe. Quite captivating so far.
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

• Originally posted by cooperstownersincanada View Post
      I'm finally reading the Creamer bio of The Babe. Quite captivating so far.
      Same here.
      If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• Originally posted by Allie Fox View Post
        Same here.
        I didn't realize that Brother Matthias was Canadian until recently. Babe called him the greatest man he ever knew. It's interesting news for a Canadian anyway.
        Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

• Anyone read Batting Stance Guy : A Love Letter To Baseball?
          Baseball Journeyman

Comment

• Well, due to my heavy reading load on non-baseball subjects, I haven't yet even begun to read Golenbock's Steinbrenner bio. Which is a real shame, considering the timing with which I checked it out.
            The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
            http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

• "The Men in Blue", by Larry R. Gerlach. It's an oral history in the same vein as "The Glory of Their Times", but the interviewees are former umpires. I just started it, looks fascinating so far. A few of the umps interviewed: Beans Reardon, Ed Sudol, Emmet Ashford, Lee Ballanfant, JIm Honochick, Shag Crawford, a dozen in all.
              They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                "The Men in Blue", by Larry R. Gerlach. It's an oral history in the same vein as "The Glory of Their Times", but the interviewees are former umpires. I just started it, looks fascinating so far. A few of the umps interviewed: Beans Reardon, Ed Sudol, Emmet Ashford, Lee Ballanfant, JIm Honochick, Shag Crawford, a dozen in all.
                Thanks for letting us know about this. This sounds fascinating.

Comment

• Originally posted by cooperstownersincanada View Post
                  Thanks for letting us know about this. This sounds fascinating.
                  Not a problem, it's why this thread is here.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Crazy '08 by Cait Murphy.

Comment

• Read that over the past winter. Excellent book, brings the era to life. My only complaint was her attempt to connect problems of that period to today's issues (gets up on her soapbox occasionally). Since my political views seem to differ from hers I didn't appreciate those sections, but they were few in number, and if your political leanings go in the direction of hers you'll probably enjoy them.
                      You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• Finally got around to reading Halberstam's Summer of '49. Followed that up with Forker's Men of Autumn. Enjoyed them both. Am now re-reading one of my all-time favorite baseball books, Mead's Even the Browns.
                        Hot ziggity dog and sassafras tea! - Loel Passe :radio

Comment

• I just picked up Odd Man Out by Matt McCarthy

It seems pretty good so far. The real problem is my own. I have recently read bios on Babe Ruth, the Yankees Dynasty (49-64) and Stan Musial. Moving from such a classic time period to modern days "feels" weird.

Nevertheless I'm enjoying it.
                          If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• The Underground Baseball Encyclopedia by Robert Schnakenberg is filled with good stuff.

Comment

• I finished Odd Man Out rather easily last night. It was a fun and easy read; like reading a script treatment.

I've read about McCarthy's possible embellishments and I'm not too bothered by them. I think he's pretty much telling the truth although dates and names may have been somewhat confused. Several times while reading I thought of Plimpton's Paper Lion and would wonder if McCarthy had a book in mind all along.

Up next is Say It Ain't So Joe by Donald Gropman.
                              Last edited by Allie Fox; 08-05-2010, 08:06 AM. Reason: Added more comments

Comment

• I will soon be reviewing The Good, the Bad, ansd the Ugly: Cleveland Indians. Won't be a hard book to review.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X