What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Muncus Agruncus View Post
    I just started it on Monday and think it is excellent so far. I'm about 84 pages in. If it wasn't for babysitting my infant son after work, I'd probably finish it this week.
    I just read it last week. Quick, interesting read. Pretty well done you can almost hear Darling as you read it (or I am just one step from insanity).

Comment

• Originally posted by BaronSamedi View Post
      Odd Man Out by Matt MacCarthy.
      How is this book? I was looking to pick it up here but having issues finding it. Might have to break down and have it shipped from Amazon.
      Last edited by TheJourneyman; 06-21-2010, 09:01 PM. Reason: added quote
      Baseball Journeyman

Comment

• Originally posted by BaronSamedi View Post
        Odd Man Out by Matt MacCarthy.
        great book

Comment

• I agree with Happy up there. It really is a cool book about a guy who is flatly bowled by the weirdness of the minors. I plan to have a review of it on Lit Bases in a couple of days.
          The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
          http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

• I've got Glanville's new book on my Kindle - so far so good. He's one of the best analysts out there. He's not bombastic enough to get the airtime of some others though.

Comment

• I agree. His views on the steroid issue I found pretty on-target.

Comment

• My son bought me Now I Can Die In Peace by Bill Simmons for Fathers Day. I laughed out loud three times while reading the first page. Excellent beginning.
                "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Just picked up "Opening Day" by John ERardi and Greg Rhodes last night, and so far it is a great read. Memories from Reds players and a few opponents about Opening Day, and other baseball memories. Dave Parker talks about Roberto Clemente, and receiving a ballglove from Frank Robinson when he was a kid growing up in Cincinnati, probably my favorite entry so far (but I've only read a few). Definitely recommend this one, without even finishing it.
                  The Writer's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by hairmetalfreek View Post
                    Dave Parker talks about Roberto Clemente, and receiving a ballglove from Frank Robinson when he was a kid growing up in Cincinnati, probably my favorite entry so far (but I've only read a few).
                    I remember him telling that story on Roy Firestone's old Up Close show on ESPN.
                    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

Comment

• I finally finished reading Peter Golenbock's Dynasty: The New York Yankees 1949-1964.

This is not only a fantastic baseball book but a great well researched and put together book in general. Despite the fact that it took me nearly three months to read it, I could not put it down. It is rich with interviews and anecdotes about the greatest run by a team in sports history.

Subsequent to finishing Dynasty I read Stan the Man: The Life and Times of Stan Musial by Wayne Stewart. My review is posted HERE.
                      Last edited by Allie Fox; 07-05-2010, 10:32 AM.
                      If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• I'm reading Robert Mayer's "Notes of a Baseball Dreamer." It's one of the best fan memoirs I've ever read. I highly recommend it.
                        Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

• I have finally gotten to Babe by Robert Creamer. I'm only 100 pages in so far but I'm enthralled. Great writing. It's as if Mr. Creamer is in the room with me telling me the stories and facts he knows.
                          If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• My recent reads include the Joe Cronin bio by Mark Armour (excellent) and "Evaluating the Managers" by Chris Jaffe (thoroughly researched; includes discussions of a rather large list of managers; prose is contains a fair amount of sabrmetrics).

Also, I recently published my own baseball memoire: "Six Decades of Baseball: A Personal Narrative".

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffar...ll-boo-22.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Allie Fox View Post
                              I have finally gotten to Babe by Robert Creamer. I'm only 100 pages in so far but I'm enthralled. Great writing. It's as if Mr. Creamer is in the room with me telling me the stories and facts he knows.
                              This will be one of my next reads. Interestingly, there is a copy of this book on display at the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame signed by his daughter with the inscription something along the lines of "This book is not worth the paper it's printed on." I'm taking that to mean that this book doesn't always paint a rose-colored picture of The Bambino.
                              Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

• The next book I review on Lit Bases is going to be Fever Pitch. Not a baseball book, I know, but there was a movie about baseball adapted from it, and since the World Cup is going on, that's all the justification I need.

I just pulled George by Golenbock, about Steinbrenner.
                                The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
                                http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X