No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Cathedrals by Philip Lowry came in the post this week. I have a kind of love / hate relationship with the book. Undoubtedly it is a great resource yet I can’t help but feel it could be so much better. I am not all that keen on the layout & it looks so outdated with small black & white pictures. It has the feel of a book published 40 yrs ago rather than 4.
    I believe in all that - in baseball, in picnics, in freedom. Walt Whitman, 1888

Comment

• Originally posted by OllieNYY View Post
      Just finished it, wonderful, wonderful Book. Can't recommend it enough. Just starting David Halberstam's Summer of 49. Then I have to start looking for new books! Might pick up a Dimaggio bio and the latest book on Reggie.
      I'm definitely going to pick up the Gehrig book. I have read Summer of 49. Anything by Halberstam is wonderful. Sad how Halberstam died so suddenly. The Teammates is one of my favorite baseball books.
      Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

• I got through the Leavy Mantle bio in one night. Very compelling when it comes to exploring Mantle the individual.

Comment

• Originally posted by cooperstownersincanada View Post
          I have read Summer of 49. Anything by Halberstam is wonderful.
          If you haven't already, you should check out October 1964.
          3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

Comment

Nearly finished The Big Bam: Life and Times Of Babe Ruth by Leigh Montville, really enjoying it. I love learning more about the Bambino's life rather then the standard A-B.
            Have you read the Creamer bio? If so how does it compare. I recently finished the Creamer book and loved it. I have The Big Bam on my shelf but have been holding off to give myself a little breath between Babe bios (< how's that!).

I am going to be starting Crazy '08 next (after finishing up my non-baseball book).
            If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• I am going to be starting Crazy '08 next (after finishing up my non-baseball book).
              I believe you'll enjoy this book. It was an excellent read. I didn't always agree with the political viewpoint that was sometimes very subtly reflected, but the book was very well done. Wish I could just find my copy now.
              You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

Nearly finished The Big Bam: Life and Times Of Babe Ruth by Leigh Montville, really enjoying it. I love learning more about the Bambino's life rather then the standard A-B.
                It's pretty amazing that three of us here were reading Montville's book at the same time. It's not recent - published in 2006 and I got mine from the public library.

Montville got me with his poetic language; how many years of Babe's life are literally unknown in "the fog"; the sad stories of Helen and Dorothy Ruth; what happened to Ruth in 1922 and 1925; and how Ruth was treated by baseball after he left the Yankees.

I also read with a mix of amazement, disgust, and envy about Ruth's totally excessive lifestyle. Sports reporting was so different back in the 1920's than now...

Comment

• True! Must be a Montville Ruth fever going around! It was a wonderful book, with what I thought a very balanced look at the subject. It didn't leave me feeling too positive towards Claire Ruth, especially concerning poor Dorothy.
                  Huge Yankees & Mike Mussina Fan

Check Out My Youtube Channel For More Of My Yankees Collection

Check Out My MLB 2K11 Yankees Franchise

Comment

• I'm reading The Bill James Guide to Baseball Managers: From 1870 to Today.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5LilPlayers View Post

Plus I'm going through both "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Baseball" and "Baseball for Dummies" for a friend who's completely baseball illiterate, but may be going with me and my family to a Minor League game in 10 more days. Took her a couple years ago, and told her if she ever wanted to go again, she was going to memorize some basic facts so I could actually watch the game instead of answering all of her questions. LOL
                      Does anyone know if there is a dvd similar to the two books mentioned above? I'd like to expose my wife to these books, but she's more likely to watch a video than read either of these books.

Comment

• i am reading "A day in the Bleachers" by Arnold Hano. Is about Mr. Hano attending the first game of the 1954 World Series. I am a Dodger Fan but I am enjoying reading this.
                        Emma
                        http://crzblue.mlblogs.com
                        Last edited by crzblue; 10-26-2010, 01:17 PM. Reason: OMG! mispelling and putting the wrong year. My excuse is that I was rushing to take the train

Comment

True! Must be a Montville Ruth fever going around! It was a wonderful book, with what I thought a very balanced look at the subject. It didn't leave me feeling too positive towards Claire Ruth, especially concerning poor Dorothy.
                          I'm also just finishing Montville's bio of The Babe. A wonderful piece of work. I would strongly recommend his bio on Ted Williams as well.
                          Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

• "The 1940 Cincinnati Reds: A World Championship and Baseball's Only In-Season Suicide" by Brian Mulligan. I actually only got it for the chapter on Hershberger. Morbid, I know.
                            The Writer's Journey

Comment

• Just started to read the biography of Reggie Jackson by Dayn Perry, really enjoying it so far. Does anyone know of a definitive Billy Martin biography thats out or in the making? If there isn't one it's something that should definitely be tapped, especially with the recent releases of Munson, Jackson, Steinbrenner biographies.
                              Huge Yankees & Mike Mussina Fan

Check Out My Youtube Channel For More Of My Yankees Collection

Check Out My MLB 2K11 Yankees Franchise

Comment

• Ghosts in the Gallery at Cooperstown. It's collection of mini-biographies of sixteen little-known members of the Hall of Fame.
                                "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
                                -Satchel Paige

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X