No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane Leavy's Mickey Mantle Bio, The Last Boy. Apparently she was assigned to interview Mantle when she was a sportswriter in 1983, and he got drunk and hit on her. So you might not expect her to be objective, but after about 60 pages, I'm liking this book a lot.
    Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 11-02-2010, 05:53 AM.
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by OllieNYY View Post
      Thanks Man, will check those out. Ed, what did the book have to say about Memorabilia collectors?
      They come off as being parasites and a pain in the ass to some of the players. Also kind of dumb for shelling out big money for things like autographs. Aaron comes off sounding Bill Russell-ish about autographs and not really enjoying interacting with fans.
      Last edited by EdTarbusz; 11-01-2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• That hurts... though I don't get autographs (too many fakes)
        Huge Yankees & Mike Mussina Fan

Check Out My Youtube Channel For More Of My Yankees Collection

Check Out My MLB 2K11 Yankees Franchise

Comment

• Just started reading The Baseball Codes: Beanballs, Sign Stealing, and Bench-Clearing Brawls: The Unwritten Rules of America's Pastime by Jason Turnbow & Michael Duca. Wonderful book full of fascinating stories. Have found my Christmas present for my Aunt Maddy!
          Huge Yankees & Mike Mussina Fan

Check Out My Youtube Channel For More Of My Yankees Collection

Check Out My MLB 2K11 Yankees Franchise

Comment

• I'm 3/4 done with Leavy's Mantle bio. I must have a dozen Mantle books and could probably write my own just from memory. This one is refreshing in that it's written by a woman who both idolizes Mantle but also tells the truth about his character. She's really done her homework, interviewing hundreds of people, giving the reader a very thorough look at Mick's life as well as his career.
            Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
              I'm 3/4 done with Leavy's Mantle bio. I must have a dozen Mantle books and could probably write my own just from memory. This one is refreshing in that it's written by a woman who both idolizes Mantle but also tells the truth about his character. She's really done her homework, interviewing hundreds of people, giving the reader a very thorough look at Mick's life as well as his career.
              Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I might have to pick this up.
              Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

• Some very insightful quotes from teammates and close friends. I thought I knew everything about The Mick but I learned a few things from this book. Also a few laugh-out-loud moments, such as the authors recollection of asking for Mick's autograph when she was a little girl.
                Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• I liked what Eli Grba said about Mantle actually hitting better when he was hurt or hungover, because he didn't swing the bat as hard as he did when he was healthy.

Comment

• Something the Leavy book touched on that I guess I should have known, but never really thought about: The Yankees finished above .500 for 46 straight years, from 1919 to 1964! That's pretty amazing when you think about it.
                    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• 'The big bam- the life and times of Babe Ruth' by Leigh Montville. I know next to nothing about the Babe (being in the UK info on him is hard to come by unless you go online) and I've read up to when he joins Boston.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                        Something the Leavy book touched on that I guess I should have known, but never really thought about: The Yankees finished above .500 for 46 straight years, from 1919 to 1964! That's pretty amazing when you think about it.
                        That may have been a typo. The Yankees finished below .500 in 1925.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                          That may have been a typo. The Yankees finished below .500 in 1925.
                          Ah, indeed they did. So they only finished above .500 for 40 straight years. That's not so impressive.

Comment

• Finished the Mantle book two weeks ago. The last 1/4 of the book was hard to read because of all the negatives about Mick's character, most of it so repulsive that it's not even funny. Guess I liked it better when we were blissfully unaware of our heroes shortcomings.

Comment

• ^^^ I kind of agree, although the Mantle book is very well researched and written, it almost tells you more than you want to know about Mickey Mantle. But he was what he was, if you're writing a biography of the man, you can't just leave out all the negative stuff, and boy, there's a lot of it.

Comment

• Big Hair and Plastic Grass. Pretty ordinary so far.
                                The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
                                http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X