No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First, about "My Luke and I"--Fred Lieb provides some personal details about Gehrig in his final book, Baseball As I Have Known It--a great read.

I just finished--finally picked it up!--Danny Peary's We Played The Game, which is oral histories by players from 1947 to 1964, edited so that it goes year-by-year, team-by-team. I don't know that that editing works so well as how Lawrence Ritter and Donald Honig traditionally do it, by player. But it was fascinating and I learned a lot about how it was in that era. What stood out were how diametrically opposed some of them were on the same people and issues, and how the only owner who seemed to strike just about all of the players as a decent human being was Bill Veeck.

Comment

• I'm currently reading "A Whole Different Ballgame" by Marvin Miller, which tells about how the Player's Assn. began. Very interesting reading.

Comment

• Have just finished reading Boys of Summer. Loved the book especially how Kahn describes his relationship with his father. It can touch a cord with any father son relationship which involved a love of sport.

Have also been reading A Great & Glorious Game – Baseball writings of Bart Giamatti. Enjoyed this book as well. I love the prose & the parallels the writer draws between baseball & everyday life. My kind of writing.

Just started Crazy 08 a couple of nights ago which so far is really good.
        I believe in all that - in baseball, in picnics, in freedom. Walt Whitman, 1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Green View Post
          I just finished--finally picked it up!--Danny Peary's We Played The Game, which is oral histories by players from 1947 to 1964, edited so that it goes year-by-year, team-by-team. I don't know that that editing works so well as how Lawrence Ritter and Donald Honig traditionally do it, by player. But it was fascinating and I learned a lot about how it was in that era. What stood out were how diametrically opposed some of them were on the same people and issues, and how the only owner who seemed to strike just about all of the players as a decent human being was Bill Veeck.
          I had the same issue with Peary's editing choice-I found myself skipping from year to year to keep the continuity of the player I was reading about. Ritter had it right in The Glory of Their Times, Peary's approach didn't work as well for me.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by AussieYank View Post
            Have just finished reading Boys of Summer. Loved the book especially how Kahn describes his relationship with his father. It can touch a cord with any father son relationship which involved a love of sport.
            To me, Boys Of Summer is possibly the best baseball book ever written...
            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by AussieYank View Post
              Have just finished reading Boys of Summer. Loved the book especially how Kahn describes his relationship with his father. It can touch a cord with any father son relationship which involved a love of sport.

Have also been reading A Great & Glorious Game – Baseball writings of Bart Giamatti. Enjoyed this book as well. I love the prose & the parallels the writer draws between baseball & everyday life. My kind of writing.

Just started Crazy 08 a couple of nights ago which so far is really good.
              I really enjoyed The Boys of Summer too, although I wouldn't rate it as the best baseball book ever. My vote (at least to this point) for that would go to The Glory of Their Time. Ritter's interviews with the oldtimers were outstanding.

Crazy 08 is an excellent read as well. She does a fine job with the material and weaving the baseball history and general history into a nice cohesive tapestry.
              You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• Has anyone ever read Catcher: How the Man Behind the Plate Became an American Folk Hero by Peter Morris? I also have recently read Yogi: The Life and Times of an American Original by Carlo DeVito.
                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• I'm reading the new Mickey Mantle book. How wasi the new Steinbrenner book? I think it's caled the The Last Lion of Baseball.

Comment

• Yep, Last Lion of Baseball. I picked it up the day before the first game back at the Stadium after the Boss' passing and thought it was an excellent read. Highly recommend it. I also just picked up the new Mantle book and will be starting that after I finished the entertaining The Games That Changed The Game (NFL book though)
                    Huge Yankees & Mike Mussina Fan

Check Out My Youtube Channel For More Of My Yankees Collection

Check Out My MLB 2K11 Yankees Franchise

Comment

• Deadball Stars of the American League. Great book on an era that I love. The National Deadball Stars are next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Louder View Post
                        Deadball Stars of the American League. Great book on an era that I love. The National Deadball Stars are next.
                        Both excellent books. Very interesing to learn about some of those old timers.
                        You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• Are We Winning? by Will Leitch
                          The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
                          http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Baseball uniforms of the 20th century arrived today & it is a brilliant book.

It cost me $6 second hand through Alibris.

I would say a must have book for any baseball enthusiast.
                            I believe in all that - in baseball, in picnics, in freedom. Walt Whitman, 1888

Comment

• I am reading Native American Son, a biography of Jim Thorpe by Kate Buford. I saw the movie about Jim Thorpe (starring Burt Lancaster) several years ago and the book covers his life in greater detail. Thorpe became an orphan when he was 16, and stood only 5' 8" and weighed 120 pounds as a teenager. He would eventually excel in track, football, and baseball with small earnings from baseball costing him his Olympic Gold Medals. Around the age of 20 he would throw walnuts through knotholes in a picket fence to sharpen his throwing ability. That's as far as I got.

It may seem hard to believe but Jim Thorpe was voted America's Greatest Athlete from 1900 to 1950 over Babe Ruth!
                              "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                              "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• BASEBALL......an illustrated history

Geoffrey C. Ward and Ken Burns
                                sigpic

"If I hear Bowie Kuhn say just once more he's doing something for the betterment of baseball, I'm going to throw-up.">Sparky Anderson
                                MLB/Rockies/Yankees, Backer

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X