No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished David Anderson's history of 1908: More Than Merkle. I'm sure I am in the minority but I prefered it to the newer book by Cate Murphy, Crazy '08.
    Last edited by BaseballinDC; 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• The Pittsburgh Cocaine Seven: How a Ragtag Group of Fans Took the Fall for Major League Baseball by Aaron Skirboll

I enjoy reading about the different scandals in baseball history. Anyone have recommendations? Era or time period doesn't matter.

Comment

• Wild and Outside, by Stefan Fatsis. It's a book about the second season (1994) of the then new Northern League. It's an interesting look at how the league was organized and the successes and failures of a couple of the teams during that second season. There are some interesting characters profiled, players, coaches and owners. The book tends to wax rhapsodic about the joy of playing baseball in the minor leagues without the vilianous MLB controlling everything but it's still an interesting look into the creation and management of an independent league and team. Somewhat poignant in that the Northern League has ceased operation with some of it's teams joining other leagues, but I was glad to learn after reading it that some of the teams covered in depth are still in operation.
        If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Comment

• A Legend In The Making: The New York Yankees In 1939 by Richard J. Tofel. Interesting book on an interesting team. Of course, this was Lou Gehrig's last year, I was surprised to read that his famous "luckiest man alive" speech was spontaneous. Interesting characters on the team, and nice looks at some of issues of the time -- good read.

Comment

• Doug Glanville - The Game From Where I Stand
            I have Evan Longorias hat

Comment

• ^^^Will you please give it back so I don't have to watch that bloody commercial anymore?
              They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                ^^^Will you please give it back so I don't have to watch that bloody commercial anymore?
                Yeah, please!!!
                You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• We Could Have Finished Last Without You by Bob Hope. It's about the Atlanta Braves just before they became good.
                  The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
                  http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by BaronSamedi View Post
                    We Could Have Finished Last Without You by Bob Hope. It's about the Atlanta Braves just before they became good.
                    Great book..won a copy from the now-defunct "The Sports Final" radio show. Turner was crazy..crazy like a fox..and Hope was a genius!
                    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Right now I'm reading, "Once Upon a Fastball" by Bob Mitchell.
                      sigpic
                      Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
                      Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

• Just ordered "Cool Papas and Double Duties" and "Taking on the Yankees". Both have been on my list for quite some time. Should be rewarding reading after a brief hiatus from baseball material.
                        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• Reading Nice Guys Finish Last by Leo Durocher. I found it at the San Marino, CA bookstore library last Saturday. Is a hard cover so I am reading it at home and on my train commute to and from work I am reading an old paper back novel that I found at the same place.

Comment

• Originally posted by palehosery View Post
                            Which of these do you suggest?
                            BILLY BALL gives the details of Martin's management style rather than personal anecdeotes. I strongly reccomend it for fans who want to know HOW Martin achieved the results that he did. It was a little surprising to learn just how much of a numbers geek Martin was.

Comment

• Originally posted by cooperstownersincanada View Post
                              Just finished the famous Creamer "Babe" bio and am now starting "The Life That Ruth Built" by Marshall Smelser.
                              THE LIFE THAT RUTH BUILT is a wonderful book that places Ruth in the pop culture of the 20's and 30's.
                              Ruth was a rock star who would have fit all too well in the 21st Century.

Comment

• I picked up Field of Screams: Haunted Tales From Baseball at a Borders closeout sale. Apparently it's a sequel to a similar book. It's a bunch of anecdotal tales of ghostly encounters that are related to baseball. It includes comments and stories from Tim Lincecum, Roy Halliday and Torii Hunter among others. The chapters are short enough to make it a great book for the back of the throne.
                                If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X