Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Finally read Will Leitch's Are We Winning? Fathers and Sons in the New Golden Age of Baseball. It was just incredible. I'd imagine Leitch isn't everyone's cup of tea around here, but I thought it was just great.

    Comment


    • The 1923 New York Yankees: A History of Their First World Championship Season by Ronald Mayer



      http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FSUSR0RmL.jpg
      Axes grind and maces clash!

      Comment


      • Getting ready to start "Rage: The Legend of 'Baseball Bill' Denehy."
        The Writer's Journey

        Comment


        • Just finished The Sabermetric Revolution: Assessing the Growth of Analytics in Baseball. It is peer-reviewed and still mighty fascinating.

          Comment


          • I've been reading Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Takes A Swing At Baseball. Its great trivia for 15-30 minutes at a time as I relax after dinner. This book has all kinds of history which I was never aware of and wouldn't know where to look to learn about it. The contributors must have been associated with MLB HoF in some fashion.
            Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

            A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

            Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

            Comment


            • 1921 : The Yankees, the Giants, and the Battle for Baseball supremacy in New York by Lyle Spatz & Steve Steinberg
              Axes grind and maces clash!

              Comment


              • Retired catcher Jason Kendall has a book coming out this year, Throwback: A Big-League Catcher Tells How the Game Is Really Played by Jason Kendall and Lee Judge. I haven't read it yet but I've placed a hold on it from the library.

                http://publishersweekly.com/978-1-250-03183-9
                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                  I've been reading Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Takes A Swing At Baseball. Its great trivia for 15-30 minutes at a time as I relax after dinner. This book has all kinds of history which I was never aware of and wouldn't know where to look to learn about it. The contributors must have been associated with MLB HoF in some fashion.
                  Are you finding everything to be accurate? Their Presidents book has some inaccuracies. Or misses a bit of important information while telling each page's story here and there.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                    I'm currently reading Put It In the Book!: A Half-Century of Mets Mania by Howie Rose.
                    After getting distracted with other books, and getting only 20 pages or so into this one, I picked this one up and finished it. It was excellent.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                      Retired catcher Jason Kendall has a book coming out this year, Throwback: A Big-League Catcher Tells How the Game Is Really Played by Jason Kendall and Lee Judge. I haven't read it yet but I've placed a hold on it from the library.

                      http://publishersweekly.com/978-1-250-03183-9
                      Random quote..."Hitting home runs is really bad and should be avoided."
                      ;^)
                      "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

                      Comment


                      • CCN: In the Uncle John's book there happened to be one mistake over a name, but while there might have been a mistake somewhere, I appreciated so much trivia about the 19th Century which was included. Generally, the 19th Century material is terrific, even if it was only 95% accurate, because where else can you find detail about the origin of uniforms, gloves, baseball construction, team nicknames.....? The book was an amazing amount of trivia crammed into 280 pages or so. Then again, I have a larger threshold of allowance for accuracy, because one of my favorite baseball books is Leo Durocher's Nice Guys Finish Last, and Leo's book was tainted by his selective memory and discounted as such by some fans. I loved that book anyway, because his mistakes were forgiveable, IMO.

                        Anyway, I have just started Tim Wendell's book, Summer of '68. The political and sporting environment beyond baseball has information which is all new as an adult. My parents were news junkies, and the 1968 reminescence is good, but I only knew of Gates Brown and baseball's Willie Horton, and so not much about them. Through one day of reading, it will be sweet to read.
                        Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

                        A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

                        Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

                        Comment


                        • The '27 Yankees by Fred Glueckstein. Terrific book so far.
                          Axes grind and maces clash!

                          Comment


                          • A Nice Little Place on the North Side: Wrigley Field at One Hundred by George F. Will

                            It's a short book, good for an airline flight or jury duty. It's a good magazine article stretched into a book about the Cubs and Wrigley Field with wandering asides about other topics.
                            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

                            Comment


                            • Now I'm reading The Yankees Baseball Reader: A Collection of Writings on the Game's Greatest Dynasty by Adam Brunner and Josh Leventhal.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                                CCN: In the Uncle John's book there happened to be one mistake over a name, but while there might have been a mistake somewhere, I appreciated so much trivia about the 19th Century which was included. Generally, the 19th Century material is terrific, even if it was only 95% accurate, because where else can you find detail about the origin of uniforms, gloves, baseball construction, team nicknames.....? The book was an amazing amount of trivia crammed into 280 pages or so. Then again, I have a larger threshold of allowance for accuracy, because one of my favorite baseball books is Leo Durocher's Nice Guys Finish Last, and Leo's book was tainted by his selective memory and discounted as such by some fans. I loved that book anyway, because his mistakes were forgiveable, IMO.

                                Anyway, I have just started Tim Wendell's book, Summer of '68. The political and sporting environment beyond baseball has information which is all new as an adult. My parents were news junkies, and the 1968 reminescence is good, but I only knew of Gates Brown and baseball's Willie Horton, and so not much about them. Through one day of reading, it will be sweet to read.
                                I've read that Uncle John's book. I love that entire series. If you liked the Uncle John book, I would suggest reading The Armchair Reader's baseball book. It's not as good as the Uncle John one, but it's worth the read.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X