No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started the bio from umpire Doug Harvey, entitled "They Called Me God". This bio will likely provide a unique take on historical developments over the 1960s-1990s. Anyway, that is the main reason I'm reading it.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

• I've enjoyed a lot of ump memoirs, but that one I wasn't impressed by because frankly Harvey came off as more than a bit egocentric in it.

Comment

• I finished Bruce Weber's Inside Baseball 1990. He predicted Bert Blyleven would win 300 games by the time he was 40 in that book ... obviously it didn't happen.

Comment

• An American Journey by Jerry Coleman. Classy book by a classy guy. No cussin', no badmouthing anybody, just a good, clean straightforward story.
          Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• I just finished Baseball Quotations by Helen Exley. This is one of those dinky little pocket books you pick up at a grocery store when you forgot someone's birthday and need a quick gift. It took 10 minutes to read. I can't believe someone would spend $8 on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by egri View Post
              Just finished the Summer of '49. As a Red Sox fan the ending was hard, but it's a book I'd definitely recommend. Next up: October 1964.
              You can't go wrong with Halberstam--no matter what topic he tackles, he absolutely nails it. I just read Summer of '49 (for the third time in my life), and I can tell you that 1964 is even better!
              Thanks for listening!

freak

Comment

• I'm currently reading Faith and Fear in Flushing by Greg Prince. It's a good book.

On October 6, 2013, I posted that I was reading We Played the Game by Danny Peary. I'm still reading it. 250 pages in, 400 or so to go. I keep putting it down and picking up shorter, easier reads.

Comment

• Originally posted by epaddon View Post
                  I've enjoyed a lot of ump memoirs, but that one I wasn't impressed by because frankly Harvey came off as more than a bit egocentric in it.
                  That'll happen when they call you God.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Anybody read "Long Shot" by Mike Piazza? Hate to start a thread to ask that question, and the search engine didn't help me out.
                    The 1980 Chicago White Sox: Where Minnie Minoso played the final game of a career beginning in 1949 and Harold Baines played the first game of a career ending in 2001.

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

• I'm presently on Sports Heroes: Baseball by Mark Littleton, another short one that details the careers and faith in Christ of numerous well-known Christian ballplayers.

After that, I'm going to read Summer of '49 by David Halberstam.

Comment

• I'm finally getting around to reading Jules Tygiel's Baseball'season Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy.
                        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• "Whatever Happened to The Hall Of Fame - Or The Politics Of Glory" by Bill James. I find it a great study of the Hall Of Fame selection process. This book was written in 1994, and published in 1995. It concludes with Phil Rizzuto's Veterans Committee election of '94, but doesn't include Richie Ashburn's election by that committee early in 1995. He gives his opinion in decade by decade style of his evaluation of the HOFs choices and lists the best available candidates at each positon, including 19th Century players.
                          The question I have is why James has never revisited this subject in the intervening 20 years with a book solely devoted to studying who's in the HOF, who's out, and who's out, but deserves to be in? At the very least it would be nice if he revised and expanded the original book, taking into account the latest electees and reviewing changes in both the Writers and the veterans committee election processes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post

After that, I'm going to read Summer of '49 by David Halberstam.
                            This was a good book and should be on everyone's To Read list.

Comment

• "Gary Carter - Still A Kid At Heart" was being sold at a clearance price here at work and I grabbed the last copy.
                              Have barely started it, did not know that Gary was a "Punt, Pass & Kick" finalist twice and won once!
                              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• I'm currently reading Playing for Keeps: A History of Early Baseball by Warren Goldstein. I have never read a baseball book written in so scholarly a tone before. Not sure I like it that aspect of it.

I'm also reading Black Diamonds: Life in the Negro Leagues from the Men Who Lived It by John B. Holway. It's a compendium interviews of former Negro leaguers. It's not bad.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X