No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished "The Book - Playing The Percentages In Baseball - by Tom Tango, Mitchell Lichtman and Andrew Dolphin.

Some very interesting analysis of strategic tactics in baseball.

19th Century League Champion
    1900s League Champion
    1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
    1950s League Champion
    1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
    1960s League Division Winner
    1970s League Champion
    1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
    1980s League Champion
    All Time Greats League Champion

Comment

• I read a book called Jackie Robinson: Bravest Man in Baseball. It's actually a kids book but provides a solid overview of his life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
        "Gary Carter - Still A Kid At Heart" was being sold at a clearance price here at work and I grabbed the last copy.
        Have barely started it, did not know that Gary was a "Punt, Pass & Kick" finalist twice and won once!
        I am embarrassed to admit that I forgot I was reading this book...loved Carter (even as a Bosox fan), but there wasn't much to grab me in his description of life after his playing days. I really wanted to like this book after seeing how brave Gary was in the face of the cancer that took his life...
        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
          I am embarrassed to admit that I forgot I was reading this book...loved Carter (even as a Bosox fan), but there wasn't much to grab me in his description of life after his playing days. I really wanted to like this book after seeing how brave Gary was in the face of the cancer that took his life...
          I finished this one last night...worth reading if you really love Carter, but I didn't really gain much from his ruminations about the state of the game at the time he was writing and the steroid situation in particular. Gary did write at length about his disappointment at not finding a path to a major league managing job, but he did admit that he declined a promotion to manage the Mets' AA team in Binghamton, NY after doing a good job with a couple of lower level teams in Florida. Carter wrote that he didn't want to be so far from his family in Florida just to keep managing in the minors, but I think that decision also demonstrated to the Mets that he may not have been 100% committed to the managerial profession.
          Last edited by Dude Paskert; 11-11-2015, 01:11 PM.
          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• They're lazy reads, but books for young readers can have just as much information packed into them as 'big people' books. One that is worth checking out, if you're into trivia, is Bart Rockwell's World's Strangest Baseball Stories. I read that one recently.

I'm also reading Tales from the 1962 New York Mets Dugout. It's a really good book for Mets fans.

Comment

• I recently read Mets Fan by Dana Brand. Now I'm rereading Mets Pride by Alan Ross, Tales from the Mets Dugout by Bruce Markusen and Best Mets by Matthew Silverman.

Comment

• Currently reading "Fifty-Nine in '84" by Edward Achorn about the 1884 Providence Grays' season and in particular Old Hoss Radbourn.
                Had it on my shelf for over 12 months but only now getting time to read.
                RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• High and Tight: The Rise and Fall of Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry - Bob Kalpsich. Picked it up on Amazon for a penny. Quick read so far. I'll chime in again once I'm through with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by brewcrew82 View Post
                    Currently reading "Fifty-Nine in '84" by Edward Achorn about the 1884 Providence Grays' season and in particular Old Hoss Radbourn.
                    Had it on my shelf for over 12 months but only now getting time to read.
                    I like this book. You should also try, if you haven't already, the author's other baseball book about the early St. Louis Browns (19th century, but now the Cardinals): "The Summer of Beer and Whiskey". It is even better since it really just explores the history of the baseball organization and that particular one season.

Comment

• Veeck as in Wreck. A true fans owner who was grateful for their support... much maligned by the crusty hierarchy who have always taken themselves way too seriously...and this is coming from a huge fan of Roger Angell!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elysian Fields View Post
                        I like this book. You should also try, if you haven't already, the author's other baseball book about the early St. Louis Browns (19th century, but now the Cardinals): "The Summer of Beer and Whiskey". It is even better since it really just explores the history of the baseball organization and that particular one season.
                        I picked up The Summer of Beer and Whiskey at the same time. Have yet to start it yet, although I will bump it up to the next on my reading list on your recommendation.

If there are any other good books on 19th century base ball you could recommend I would greatly appreciate it. The only other one I have is Albert Spalding's book "Base Ball".
                        RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• Originally posted by brewcrew82 View Post
                          If there are any other good books on 19th century base ball you could recommend I would greatly appreciate it. The only other one I have is Albert Spalding's book "Base Ball".
                          Here are a few.

The Beer and Whisky League: The Illustrated History of the American Association--Baseball's Renegade Major League by David Nemec

Where They Ain't: The Fabled Life and Untimely Death of the Original Baltimore Orioles, the Team That Gave Birth to Modern Baseball by Burt Solomon

The Great 19th Century Encyclopedia of Major League Baseball by David Nemec

The Rank and File of 19th Century Major League Baseball: Biographies of 1,084 Players, Owners, Managers and Umpires by David Nemec

A Game of Brawl: The Orioles, the Beaneaters, and the Battle for the 1897 Pennant by Bill Felber

Players and Teams of the National Association, 1871-1875 by Paul Batesel

Nineteenth Century Baseball: Year-By-Year Statistics for the Major League Teams, 1871 Through 1900 by Marshall D. Wright

Tale of Four Cities: Nineteenth Century Baseball's Most Exciting Season; in Contemporary Accounts by Jean-Pierre Cailut (1889 Season)

Long Before the Dodgers: Baseball in Brooklyn, 1855-1884 by James L. Terry

The League that Lasted: 1876 and the Founding of the National League of Professional Baseball Clubs by Neil W. Macdonald

When the Dodgers Were Bridegrooms: Gunner McGunnigle and Brooklyn's Back-to-Back Pennants of 1889 and 1890 by Ronald G. Shafer
                          Last edited by jsontag; 01-26-2016, 09:16 AM.
                          Axes grind and maces clash!

Comment

• Originally posted by jsontag View Post
                            Here are a few.

The Beer and Whisky League: The Illustrated History of the American Association--Baseball's Renegade Major League by David Nemec

Where They Ain't: The Fabled Life and Untimely Death of the Original Baltimore Orioles, the Team That Gave Birth to Modern Baseball by Burt Solomon

The Great 19th Century Encyclopedia of Major League Baseball by David Nemec

The Rank and File of 19th Century Major League Baseball: Biographies of 1,084 Players, Owners, Managers and Umpires by David Nemec

A Game of Brawl: The Orioles, the Beaneaters, and the Battle for the 1897 Pennant by Bill Felber

Players and Teams of the National Association, 1871-1875 by Paul Batesel

Nineteenth Century Baseball: Year-By-Year Statistics for the Major League Teams, 1871 Through 1900 by Marshall D. Wright

Tale of Four Cities: Nineteenth Century Baseball's Most Exciting Season; in Contemporary Accounts by Jean-Pierre Cailut (1889 Season)

Long Before the Dodgers: Baseball in Brooklyn, 1855-1884 by James L. Terry

The League that Lasted: 1876 and the Founding of the National League of Professional Baseball Clubs by Neil W. Macdonald

When the Dodgers Were Bridegrooms: Gunner McGunnigle and Brooklyn's Back-to-Back Pennants of 1889 and 1890 by Ronald G. Shafer
                            Awesome!!! Thanks!
                            RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• I'm reading The Incredible Mets by Maury Allen.

Comment

• I just picked up all four volumes of The Fireside Book of Baseball series for $14 at a used book store. I've heard about this series and been wanting them for awhile, so I'm pretty excited to start reading them.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X