Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Bam.

Comment

• I just started reading the recently updated The Official Rules Of Baseball Illustrated (An Irreverent Look At The Rules Of Baseball And How They Came To Be What They Are Today) by David Nemec.

It's been more than 25 years since I first read his original, The Rules Of Baseball (An Anecdotal Look At The Rules Of Baseball And How They Came To Be) -- I like the layout and photographs in that one better -- so I know I'm in for a treat with this revised version.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

• Just finished Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy by Jane Leavy, Juicing the Game: Drugs, Power, and the Fight for the Soul of Major League Baseball by Howard Bryant and Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, Balco, and the Steroids Scandal That Rocked Professional Sports by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams.

Currently reading Donkey Baseball & Other Sporting Delights by Giles Tippette.

Comment

• Originally posted by ramires View Post
          The Big Bam.
          What did you think of it? I read Creamer's Ruth bio, which lived up to its hype.

Comment

• What did you think of the books that you read, especially the Koufax bio?

Comment

• Koufax was decent, a little too worshipping of the guy. Juicing the Game and Game of Shadows were good. Donkey Baseball is interesting and light-hearted, but it's more than just baseball.
              Last edited by AlexS; 12-26-2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• Spalding's World Tour: The Epic Adventure that Took Baseball Around the Globe - And Made it America's Game

https://www.amazon.com/Spaldings-Wor...ps%2C74&sr=8-1

Comment

• My 13 year-old niece (bless her heart) got me some elementary school level book of baseball trivia for Christmas. Naturally that was my favorite gift even though the wife got me some more adult-level (baseball) reading.

Okay, maybe I'll read it, but not until I'm done with Cloudbuster Nine, The Baseball 100 and the Horace Stoneham biography my wife got me.
                  Last edited by Chadwick; 03-02-2022, 07:10 PM.
                  "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                  "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                  "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                  "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• Baseball-Reference has mailed to their subscribers a book they and SABR have published called The Negro Leagues Are Major Leagues (Essays And Research For Overdue Recognition).

I just started it, but I can already sense it's something I'll be absorbing from cover-to-cover.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

• I just started this one

https://www.amazon.com/Called-Shot-C.../dp/0803255241

Comment

• Originally posted by Floyd Gondolli View Post
                        Spalding's World Tour: The Epic Adventure that Took Baseball Around the Globe - And Made it America's Game

https://www.amazon.com/Spaldings-Wor...ps%2C74&sr=8-1
                        Have you finished it? If yes, what is your opinion of it? Thanks.

Comment

• I'm about halfway through Alan Schwarz' The Numbers Game (Baseball's Lifelong Fascination with Statistics) and the first book of a massive 3-volume Connie Mack biography by Norman Macht, "Connie Mack and the Early Years of Baseball" that covers his life's beginning through 1914 or so.

Comment

• I'm reading Oscar Charleston The Life and Legend of Baseball's Greatest Forgotten Player. It's a good read. The author really dug deep to get his personal information

Comment

• “Then Bowa said to Schmidt”…….. The greatest Phillies stories ever told. By Robert Gordon, forward by Jimmy Rollins. Really good book, keeps your interest as I remember a lot of the Phillies from the 1950’s. I had their cards.
                              The saddest day of the year is the day that baseball season ends.

Comment

• Currently reading "All the Stars Came Out That Night". Wont spoil too much but it’s a fictional book taking place in 1934 between a team of white all stars, featuring Ruth, Gehrig, a banned Joe Jackson, and a minor league Joe DiMaggio, against a team of black all stars featuring Paige, Gibson, Dihigo, and Charleston among others.
                                Last edited by Bamay22; 06-21-2022, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X