Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half-Empty: What Are Your Choices For Worst Baseball Movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Real McCoy
    I'm uncertain whether "BASEketball" qualifies as a baseball movie or even as a movie (it may have been created as some unspeakable torture technique), but it certainly falls into the unwatchable category (it would have to improve two-fold to reach the "straight to video" classification).

Not surprisingly it included Jenny McCarthy in a featured role. Shockingly, Bob Costas also appeared (I'd be willling to bet he changed agents shortly thereafter).

In the "Worst Baseball Movie" race, "BASEketball" is Secretariat at the ' 73 Belmont.
    I wouldn't consider BASEketball a baseball movie. It's basically a satire on professional sports anyway. Apparently you have a major beef with it, for some reason. I love the movie, I find it hilarious.

The movie with Freddie Prinze Jr, and Jessica Biel, that one was pretty bad.

Comment

ya it can no way be considered a baseball movie
      Born True Blue

Comment

Originally posted by ElCaminoSS
        The Babe Ruth Story made in 1948 is not only the worst baseball movie ever made but possibly the worst movie ever made period. It stars William Bendex who sorta resembles the Babe but the guy is the biggest stiff that ever lived. A cardboard cut-out could have done a better job of acting. The way they portrayed the Babe was rediculous, they made him seem like some kind of saint/super hero. Kind of a cross between Superman with a bat meets Jesus Christ. As we all know the Babe was no saint and this ham fisted portrayel of his life is so corny that I doubt anyone who isn't farting dust could sit through it. Thumbs down!
        All good points. Supposedly, the Babe went to the premiere and left about halway through it. Was no doubt thinking, "Gehrig gets Gary Cooper to portray him and I get stuck with frigging Bill Bendix."

But I go with with the John Goodman version as the worst, because least they had seen how bad the first Ruth movie was and incredibly, came up with one that was arguably as bad, if not worse.
        It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Originally posted by 64Cards
          All good points. Supposedly, the Babe went to the premiere and left about halway through it. Was no doubt thinking, "Gehrig gets Gary Cooper to portray him and I get stuck with frigging Bill Bendix."

<...>
          Yeah .... but when you look like Babe Ruth, ya know? If they'd gone with Clark Gable, people would've said "Hey wait a minute .... "

Wonder if Charles Laughton was available. That would have been something to see ...

Edit: Hey, he was. And you know what, he looked kinda like the Babe.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by westsidegrounds; 10-14-2005, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn
            That Babe Ruth movie with John Goodman...what a huge waste, and an insult to the Babe and all fans.
            I totally agree with you.

Bad acting, bad settings. Many times when a scene was filmed in a baseball stadium, you could easily see that it was cardboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe
              Field of Dreams. Joe Jackson threw lefty and hit righty in the movie. This inexcusable reversal error bothered me so much that it made the movie virtually unwatchable.
              I never noticed. I will check the next time I'll watch that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dirty Sox
                Oh yeah, and I completely forgot about The Scout, which contains the most ludicrous baseball performance ever. He makes his major league debut in the World Series and pitches a perfect game, striking out every batter with 3 fastballs, and also hits 4 homeruns. I mean come on, nobody even made contact on him.
                Not only that but there was this whole plot about some emotional turmoil relating to his parents that was brought up and then completely forgotten. This truly terrible movie would be my choice too.

Comment

I still like the scout
                  Born True Blue

Comment

Even if it is a delicate subject, the worst baseball movie I have seen so far is the Jackie Robinson story, with Jackie playing himself. I think we can all agree that athletes are not the best actors. The subject is deified, and the script is pretty simple. But at least my expectations were not high when I bought the movie (I like collecting baseball movies). I am ashamed to say I bought fever pitch thinking that at least I would get to see some baseball and get that rising feeling (like when I see Roy Hobbs hit that homerun or see the Indians win the pennant in the movie Major League) when I would see the Red Sox win the series and have some laughs at least while relating myself to a baseball fan. But the movie dissapointed me in how exagerated everything was, the baseball fan came out as a freakin idiot and I don't think the actors were all that good. And the overexposing of the Red Sox by the medias crushed my support for them so I had nothing left to enjoy on that piece of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by ElCaminoSS
                      I still like the scout
                      Only the biggest snobs won't suspend disbelief to enjoy a funny movie- one that is intentionally funny. I liked the movie.

I liked Hardball.

I loved Major League 3. Can't get enough of it.

I though The Babe was pretty stupid, but it looked more like a satire of his life than an actual biography.
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

The Babe.

I can still smell the stench.
                        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

My pick would be "Bang the drum slowly" Robert DeNiro played a catcher with Hodgkin's disease and would soon die. That film was depressing and it made me cry.Why not make a movie positive about the game not negitive about the game.

Comment

Originally posted by steveox
                            My pick would be "Bang the drum slowly" Robert DeNiro played a catcher with Hodgkin's disease and would soon die. That film was depressing and it made me cry.Why not make a movie positive about the game not negitive about the game.
                            Because that was what happened in the book, written by Mark Harris. It was depressing, wasn't it?
                            The Babe was bad. As was The Babe Ruth Story from 1948. They even made him a martyr.
                            The second and third Bad News Bears movie paled in comparison to the first one, especially Bad News Bears in Japan.
                            Considering how enjoyable The Sandlot was, the direct to video Sandlot 2 was a major disappointment. As inspired as Airplane 2.
                            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe
                              Field of Dreams. Joe Jackson threw lefty and hit righty in the movie. This inexcusable reversal error bothered me so much that it made the movie virtually unwatchable.

Director Phil Robinson was interviewed on a "Baseball Movie" theme show once and he said something to the effect that people always point out to him that Ray Liotta bats righty as Jackson in the movie and how that is inaccurate.

He responds that there is another glaring inaccuracy that those people rarely notice. Shoeless Joe is dead and in the movie they show him walking around. Its a movie, he said, get over it.
                              "There ain't much to bein' a ballplayer...if you're a ballplayer. "

--Honus Wagner

Comment

Goodman's take on duh BABE..

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                                The Babe.

I can still smell the stench.
                                I concur..it was STANKING !

Could have been a great film..but failed and badly..

worst film..from 1962..'safe at home' with Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris..
                                and the rest of the bronx bombers..story about some lying dork who
                                promises mantle and maris and his little league banquet..man, it blows
                                chunks..too bad Mickey didn't take a louieville slugger to that kid..

heh heh heh...it's so bad, it's fantastic..

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X