Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half-Empty: What Are Your Choices For Worst Baseball Movie?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 85cards
    Shoeless Joe is dead and in the movie they show him walking around. Its a movie, he said, get over it.
    Haha
    Born True Blue

Comment

Originally posted by steveox
      My pick would be "Bang the drum slowly" Robert DeNiro played a catcher with Hodgkin's disease and would soon die. That film was depressing and it made me cry.Why not make a movie positive about the game not negitive about the game.
      Its supposed to be sad, that movie wouldnt be what it is without that, its basically the point of the whole movie. Theres plenty of happy baseball movies out there
      Born True Blue

Comment

on word...BASEKETBAL!!!!

What was that about???
        Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

I hate that movie of "BASEketball" and the babe ruth story in 1948 it was a joke dude

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Legend
            on word...BASEKETBAL!!!!

What was that about???
            Hey dude chill with the yankees THE BOSOX rule the world!!!!!

Comment

What happened to the tons of posts I read that you said your a diehard marlins fan???
              Born True Blue

Comment

My two choices for worst baseball movie are:

"Major League III: Back to the Minors" and "Bleacher Bums".

The "bad" movies have something good about them. You can watch William Bendix's Babe Ruth biopic with jaw-dropping amazement -- am I really watching a movie this bad? You can watch "The Bad News Bears Go to Japan" and ask "what the hell were they thinking?"

But "Major League III" and "Bleacher Bums" are just bad. There's no amazement, just sheer boredom. I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes of MLIII without emptying the DVD from the player. As for "Bleacher Bums", the crappy movie took all the charm out of an amazing play.

--Pet

Comment

Whats bleacher bums about?
                  Born True Blue

Comment

"Bleacher Bums" is a movie based on a play that's not widely known. It's only been seen on television, and I was lucky enough to see both versions of it.

The first version was shown on PBS in 1979. It isn't much different from what you would have seen if you saw the play on stage. Minimal sets, and the actors have to carry the play. The 2002 version is the Showtime version, filmed at an actual ballpark.

The movie is about the lives of several Chicago Cubs fans in the cheap seats during one day of the baseball season. (Showtime punks out by letting you know it's a Chicago team, but never saying "Cubs".) These are the regulars -- people who have been meeting in these seats for years. They aren't necessarily friends, but they know each other.

The best explanation of the movie is
                    http://www.badmovieplanet.com/3bthea...acherbums.html. It's on DVD, if you want to waste the money.

The PBS production reached its hairy mitt out of the set and grabbed you by the throat. The Showtime production was just boring.

--Pet

Comment

As bad as the orginal Babe Ruth Story in 1948 was, this is by far the worst baseball movie of all time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076424/combined

Murder at the World Series (1977)

Plot Outline: A disturbed young man, who had tried out for the Houston Astros baseball team and been rejected, plots to take his revenge by a series of kidnappings.

Comment

A footnote to this. Babe Ruth attended the premier of the movie in NY about 2 weeks before he died in 1948. He left before the movie ended and was never seen in public again. See attached story from the New York Times from July 1948

Originally posted by ElCaminoSS
                        The Babe Ruth Story made in 1948 is not only the worst baseball movie ever made but possibly the worst movie ever made period. It stars William Bendex who sorta resembles the Babe but the guy is the biggest stiff that ever lived. A cardboard cut-out could have done a better job of acting. The way they portrayed the Babe was rediculous, they made him seem like some kind of saint/super hero. Kind of a cross between Superman with a bat meets Jesus Christ. As we all know the Babe was no saint and this ham fisted portrayel of his life is so corny that I doubt anyone who isn't farting dust could sit through it. Thumbs down!
                        Attached Files

Comment

I decided to solve this conundrum by going to the ultimate movie ranking source: the United States Internet Movie Database at http://us.imdb.com and looking for the ratings of every movie listed with the keyword "baseball".

I put a few restrictions on my search.

a) A movie had to have baseball in some way central to the plot or the theme, and
                          b) It had to have gathered more than 100 votes.

First, the 10 worst baseball films of all time, from #10 (tenth worst) to #1 (the worst)

10. The Scout (5.1/10, 1224 votese) A hard-charging baseball scout finds himself in charge of a player who is even more messed up than he is. Got a 7% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

9. The Winning Team (5.1/10, 147 votes). The standard biopic of Grover Cleveland Alexander, with Ronald Reagan in the starring role. The movie plays loose with the facts regarding Alexander's life -- the word "epilepsy" is not mentioned due to restrictions by Warner Brothers. I suspect the voters hate it because they hate Reagan -- I hate Reagan as a politician, but this film showed he could clearly act.

8. The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training (4.9/10, 632 votes). The second movie suffered a lot as Walter Matthau and Tatum O'Neil wisely turned this one down. A lot of crude, and not funny, humor.

7. Major League II (4.8/10, 3,829 votes). Suffered from a case of sequelitis -- there are a lot of plot threads that don't add up to a whole movie. Furthermore, the plot threads weren't that funny. Cerrano becoming a buddhist? A crazy Japanese baseball player? Yeah, yeah.

6. Night Game (4.7/10, 110 votes). A serial killer strikes only when the Houston Astros play at night. I've seen a lot of Astros games that made me wanna kill someone, too.

5. Summer Catch (4.5/10, 2,596 votes). Poor boy falls in love with rich girl. Poor boy in minor leagues wants to play pro baseball. Poor boy is Freddie Prinze. Poor boy takes shirt off. Skip this movie if you're not wearing a training bra.

4. The Slugger's Wife (4.2/10, 300 votes). Baseball player marries rock singer. They get the baseball wrong, and the love story strikes out, too.

3. Major League: Back to the Minors (4.1/10, 1278 votes). The amazing thing is they found over 1,000 people who admitted to watching it.

2. The Sandlot 2 (3.8/10, 405 votes). Straight to video. More of a remake than a sequel.

And the number one worst baseball movie....

1. The Bad News Bears Go to Japan (3.5/10, 563 votes). And they can stay there. Not enough baseball, not funny, and by now the Bears were old enough to shave.

--Pet

Comment

There was a thread a few months ago: "Movies we so did not need remakes of" http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=31508 where many of these same movies were discussed.

My vote for "Worst of the Worst" goes to the atrocious piece of schlock, the remake of "The Kid From Left Field" with Gary Coleman, Robert Guillame and Ed McMahon. This one was truly lame.

And while everyone here has been panning Major League-Back to the Minors, I liked that one-yeah, it was bad, but I'll still watch it if it's on. There were some amusing scenes.
                            "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Originally posted by Aa3rt
                              T
                              My vote for "Worst of the Worst" goes to the atrocious piece of schlock, the remake of "The Kid From Left Field" with Gary Coleman, Robert Guillame and Ed McMahon. This one was truly lame.
                              Hey i liked that movie!

Comment

Originally posted by steveox
                                My pick would be "Bang the drum slowly" Robert DeNiro played a catcher with Hodgkin's disease and would soon die. That film was depressing and it made me cry.Why not make a movie positive about the game not negative about the game.

Because that wouldn't be realistic and the most respected movies tend to be realistic.

Funny, but that's considered one of the best baseball movies.
                                "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X