Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half-Empty: What Are Your Choices For Worst Baseball Movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGeorgiaPeach View Post
    I don't know about it being a bad film - that is, not entertaining - but Eight Men Out is a pretty bad depiction of the events surrounding the 1919 World Series. To be fair, most of the inaccuracies originate in Eliot Asinof's book, which is a different subject altogether. You could make a list of the inaccuracies in the film - thankfully, somone already has!

Based on my username this is hardly a surprise, but 1994's Cobb, which adapts Al Stump's book, and inherits its inaccuracies.
    What are the most accurate baseball movies? 61* or 42 maybe? I consider Cobb the "worst" movie considering how grossly inaccurate its portrayal of Cobb was!

Eight Men Out is one of my favorite baseball movies despite the apparent inaccuracies re the Black Sox. When Eight Men Out was made in 1988, the true history of the 1919 WS was not well known. In fact, I believe a lot of what really happened hadn't been uncovered yet.

Comment

There has been but one mention of "Ed". Amazing. I have not seen the movie, but I know enough about it to safely say it is the worst baseball movie ever, worse than any biopic or historical drama involving baseball could ever be.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdGenCub View Post

What are the most accurate baseball movies? 61* or 42 maybe?
        I thought "42" was pretty accurate, better than I expected, right up to the end: The ending has the Dodgers playing in Pittsburgh with the Pennant on the line. Jackie Robinson comes up in the ninth inning, and hits a home run. As he trots around the bases, you hear the actor playing radio announcer Red Barber saying "The Dodgers are going to the World Series!", as if the game is over, despite the fact that they were playing in Pittsburgh, and there would be a bottom of the ninth still to be played. Or else Jackie Robinson hit the only walk-off home run on the road in history.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I didn't like The Babe, with John Goodman. They made Ruth too comical and played too much on the stereotype that he was fat, womanizing, vulgar, & immature, etc. He had a more serious side.

Comment

Any of the major league movies made after the 2nd one. Any of the sandlot movies made after the first one.

Comment

Sadly, I've seen every movie mentioned in this thread with the exception of that 1977 murder one and I've no intention whatsoever of watching what sounds like another The Fan, but with worse acting.

A few thoughts:

Yes, William Bendix was stiff in The Babe Ruth Story, but he didn't write the script or direct the film and the John Goodman version was worse. Criticism about the over-the-top hero worship or corniness of the film is merited, but you have to remember the context: that's how America entertainment liked it in those days. Baseball books were not written much different at the time. It was just part-and-parcel of the era.

Field of Dreams is arguably the greatest baseball movie. Yes, they have zero excuse for Ray Liotta hitting right-handed. (Who, exactly, was the responsible individual?) That said, get over it. If that alone makes the movie "unwatchable" for you, you've got bigger problems.

Bang the Drum Slowly is a depressing movie, but it's meant to be. It's often mentioned among the best baseball movies, though I wouldn't go that far. It's not "entertaining" for me.

It seems, since the mid-1990s, that there's been a growing number of baseball-themed, love story focused B-movies. That's unfortunate since they're all crap. Most of them have been mentioned above and the ones that haven't aren't worth watching either.

Sadly, GREAT baseball movies are few and far between.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I would say that GREAT SPORTS movies, heck GREAT movies of any kind, are few & far between these days! Hollywood only churns out crap now with the rare good movie. Years ago, Francis Ford Coppola said he could never make the Godfather movies in Hollywood today. They would have to be some independent, low budget production. Also, there are vastly more great baseball movies than great movies about other sports, so at least there's that consolation.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X