Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half-Empty: What Are Your Choices For Worst Baseball Movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabo-metrics
    replied
    I can't recall what I didn't like about it, but I didn't think "Bang the Drum Slowly" was all that good.

Leave a comment:

• Gerald R. Cruz
    replied
    Well, you have to admit, it's better to play than to watch.
    Ya it can no way be considered a baseball movie. But that's my subjective opinion.

Leave a comment:

• 3rdGenCub
    replied
    I would say that GREAT SPORTS movies, heck GREAT movies of any kind, are few & far between these days! Hollywood only churns out crap now with the rare good movie. Years ago, Francis Ford Coppola said he could never make the Godfather movies in Hollywood today. They would have to be some independent, low budget production. Also, there are vastly more great baseball movies than great movies about other sports, so at least there's that consolation.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    Sadly, I've seen every movie mentioned in this thread with the exception of that 1977 murder one and I've no intention whatsoever of watching what sounds like another The Fan, but with worse acting.

A few thoughts:

Yes, William Bendix was stiff in The Babe Ruth Story, but he didn't write the script or direct the film and the John Goodman version was worse. Criticism about the over-the-top hero worship or corniness of the film is merited, but you have to remember the context: that's how America entertainment liked it in those days. Baseball books were not written much different at the time. It was just part-and-parcel of the era.

Field of Dreams is arguably the greatest baseball movie. Yes, they have zero excuse for Ray Liotta hitting right-handed. (Who, exactly, was the responsible individual?) That said, get over it. If that alone makes the movie "unwatchable" for you, you've got bigger problems.

Bang the Drum Slowly is a depressing movie, but it's meant to be. It's often mentioned among the best baseball movies, though I wouldn't go that far. It's not "entertaining" for me.

It seems, since the mid-1990s, that there's been a growing number of baseball-themed, love story focused B-movies. That's unfortunate since they're all crap. Most of them have been mentioned above and the ones that haven't aren't worth watching either.

Sadly, GREAT baseball movies are few and far between.

Leave a comment:

• JessePopHaines16
    replied
    Any of the major league movies made after the 2nd one. Any of the sandlot movies made after the first one.

Leave a comment:

• redban
    replied
    I didn't like The Babe, with John Goodman. They made Ruth too comical and played too much on the stereotype that he was fat, womanizing, vulgar, & immature, etc. He had a more serious side.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by 3rdGenCub View Post

What are the most accurate baseball movies? 61* or 42 maybe?
    I thought "42" was pretty accurate, better than I expected, right up to the end: The ending has the Dodgers playing in Pittsburgh with the Pennant on the line. Jackie Robinson comes up in the ninth inning, and hits a home run. As he trots around the bases, you hear the actor playing radio announcer Red Barber saying "The Dodgers are going to the World Series!", as if the game is over, despite the fact that they were playing in Pittsburgh, and there would be a bottom of the ninth still to be played. Or else Jackie Robinson hit the only walk-off home run on the road in history.

Leave a comment:

• pedrosrotatorcuff
    replied
    There has been but one mention of "Ed". Amazing. I have not seen the movie, but I know enough about it to safely say it is the worst baseball movie ever, worse than any biopic or historical drama involving baseball could ever be.

Leave a comment:

• 3rdGenCub
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGeorgiaPeach View Post
    I don't know about it being a bad film - that is, not entertaining - but Eight Men Out is a pretty bad depiction of the events surrounding the 1919 World Series. To be fair, most of the inaccuracies originate in Eliot Asinof's book, which is a different subject altogether. You could make a list of the inaccuracies in the film - thankfully, somone already has!

Based on my username this is hardly a surprise, but 1994's Cobb, which adapts Al Stump's book, and inherits its inaccuracies.
    What are the most accurate baseball movies? 61* or 42 maybe? I consider Cobb the "worst" movie considering how grossly inaccurate its portrayal of Cobb was!

Eight Men Out is one of my favorite baseball movies despite the apparent inaccuracies re the Black Sox. When Eight Men Out was made in 1988, the true history of the 1919 WS was not well known. In fact, I believe a lot of what really happened hadn't been uncovered yet.

Leave a comment:

• TheGeorgiaPeach
    replied
    I don't know about it being a bad film - that is, not entertaining - but Eight Men Out is a pretty bad depiction of the events surrounding the 1919 World Series. To be fair, most of the inaccuracies originate in Eliot Asinof's book, which is a different subject altogether. You could make a list of the inaccuracies in the film - thankfully, somone already has!

Based on my username this is hardly a surprise, but 1994's Cobb, which adapts Al Stump's book, and inherits its inaccuracies.
    Last edited by TheGeorgiaPeach; 05-15-2019, 07:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EdTarbusz
    replied
    Originally posted by toomanyhatz View Post

Just came here to mention that. Truly awful. Wesley Snipes as an egotistical slugger clearly based on Bonds. The people who wrote the script have apparently never been to a game.
    John Kruk trying to play a convincing on-field corpse was the best part of The Fan.

Leave a comment:

• toomanyhatz
    replied
    Originally posted by PatNYM View Post
    Suprised nobody has mentioned the movie where DeNiro was the psycho Giants fan. Think it was called, "The Fan"? Thought it was ridiculous.
    Just came here to mention that. Truly awful. Wesley Snipes as an egotistical slugger clearly based on Bonds. The people who wrote the script have apparently never been to a game.

Leave a comment:

• StarStar00
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    They can make up a reasonably slender Gary Oldman to resemble Winston Churchill, I don't know why they couldn't do as much for the Babe.
    Armie Hammer might be a good pick for the Babe if somebody wants to make a movie in the next 10 years or so.

He's 31 now and has a big round face; he could still pull off the young and (relatively) trim Babe of the Red Sox and with some padding, a prosthetic nose and jowly face makeup, he could play the roly-poly Ruth of his later years.

armie-hammer-quits-twitter-explain.jpgbabe-ruth-090115-usnews-getty-ftr_13ec1v0x2q46f15fcg3jc73i2d.jpg?t=-1957282777&w=960&quality=70.jpg

At 6-5, he's taller than the Babe but 6-5 today is pretty comparable to 6-3 of a hundred years ago. In 1918, 6-3 was on the borderline between "tall" and "towering."

Not exactly a coincidence, but guys who fit the Ruth role facially and physically happen to be guys who at one time or another were considered for Superman.

Presumably if they made a Ruth movie, also they'd get somebody 6-2 or so to play the 6-0 Gehrig. I could see Ryan Reynolds as Gehrig.

AJLlDp3B4s6KB3jY_dXg-d6tQXvIiCCmO2I4E855KQ=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no.jpgLou-Gehrig.jpg
    Last edited by StarStar00; 04-23-2018, 10:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Toledo Inquisition
    replied
    The late, great Jimmy Piersall hated "Fear Strikes Out". He hated Anthony Perkins as not resembling his own playing skills (relative to any Hollywood actor) and said they made things up about his father.

Piersall was involved in the script but said they made "last minute" Hollywood changes to make the picture more "Hollywood." He was angry at what they did to his father.

I'll say that since it was his life, he'd have some knowledge on why the movie wasn't so hot.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Jeltz
    replied
    In hindsight, Vincent D'Onofrio should have been cast as the Babe instead of Goodman. He resembles Babe facially and physically. Unfortunately, D'Onofrio wasn't a household name in 1992 and would be too old to be cast as Babe today, as he is 58.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X