Listing of player autobiographies/biographies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listing of player autobiographies/biographies

Let's start a list of autoboigraphies/biographies of players. This would help folks here when they are looking for good books to read. After a while I'll collate the book titles into an easy to read list. Please list the title, author, year published and weblink (if possible)

Honus Wagner
    1. Honus Wagner, A Biography by Dennis DeValeria, Jeanne Burke DeValeria (1998)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

2. Honus Wagner: The Life of Baseball's "Flying Dutchman" by Arthur D. Hittner (2003)

Rogers Hornsby
    1. Rogers Hornsby: A Biography by Charles C. Alexander (1996)

2. Rogers Hornsby : A Biography (Baseball's All-Time Greatest Hitters) by Jonathan D'Amore (2004)

3. My war with baseball by Rogers Hornsby (1962)

• Toledo Inquisition
    replied
    First time I've ever seen this thread - wow! Thanks for all the work everyone put in, especially dgarza!

I'll mention some newer ones off the top of my head:

In Cobb's Shadow: The Hall of Famer Careers of Sam Crawford, Harry Heilmann and Heinie Manush by Dan D'Addona

Sam Rice: A Biography of the Washington Senators Hall of Famer by Jeff Carroll

Ken Williams: A Slugger in Ruth's Shadow by Dave Heller (of our own forum)

Bucketfoot Al: The Baseball Life of Al Simmons by Clifton Blue Parker

Leave a comment:

• TonyK
    replied
    "Young John McGraw Of Truxton" by yours truly. The focus is on his teenage years on his local town team. There are some corrections to his previous biographies. Available thru Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• michaelramm
    replied
    The Last Hero: A Life of Henry Aaron
    Howard Bryant

I started reading this on Sunday night and I could not put it down. It is an amazing bio of one of my favorite players in MLB history. I have gotten through about 100 pgs and learned so much about Aaron.

I really like that there is not chapter on chapter about his childhood. I know that it is important to setting up the life of the man, but there is 2 chapters that deal with him growing up in Mobile, then Chapter 3 starts his BRIEF Negro League stint (I did not know that he played in the Negro Leagues.) and his assignment to the Minor leagues when the Milwaukee Braves bought him for $10,000.

It really sickens me that black players were treated the way that they were in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. Bryant tells of how the black players stayed in the houses of black host families while the white players were put up in nice hotels during the season. Bryant also tells of some of the sympathetic white players that would try to help out the black players and be ostracized by the rest of the team for it.

I can already tell that this is going to be one of the best bios that I have ever read. I know that Aaron help contribute to the book, but only after Barry Bonds passed his 755 HR mark. Aaron is very concerned about his status in the world. He feels (probably rightly so) that people just want him to relive the glory days. He does not want that to be his place in life.

I will post other little tidbits in this post that I find interesting throughout the book.

Tidbit #1: Henry Aaron does not like the name 'Hank' and usually does not respond to it. Only two people called him 'Hank' before he started getting famous. One was a childhood friend from Mobile and the other was Dusty Baker.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    By the way, the first biography of Eddie Collins is now available. Here is the link on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...ookfindercom0e

Rick can be contacted at

rhuhn@earthlink.net

The only thing is, Eddie wrote his biography in the Sporting News. It was in 5 installments. If anyone has access to TSN, via paperofrecord, the dates are given as follows.

Here are the links: You may have to register with paper of record, which is free.

First Installment: October 11, 1950, pp. 13-14. ----http://www.paperofrecord.com/paper_v...CurrentBlock=1

Second Installment: October 18, 1950, pp. 13-14.----http://www.paperofrecord.com/paper_v...CurrentBlock=1

Third Installation: October 25, 1950, pp. 11-12.----http://www.paperofrecord.com/paper_v...CurrentBlock=1

Fourth Installment: November 1, 1950, pp. 13-14.----http://www.paperofrecord.com/paper_v...CurrentBlock=1

Fifth Installment: November 8, 1950, pp. 13-14.----http://www.paperofrecord.com/paper_v...CurrentBlock=1
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-18-2008, 06:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    I know Wamby. But that 1938 season. Both gut wrenching and heart warming when you look bac on it. Him struggling and not really knowing why. His muscles just not reacting the same way they once used to. Him ordering lighter bats. The numbers he was still able to put up in '38 are friekin' incredible to me.

A tad? I try to remain unbiased, but GHR makes it so hard with what he did.
    I'm not trying to minimize 1938, that was quite a season too. I bet Gehrig heard a lots of whispers that he was through and that he became washed up in an extraordinarily short time. I thknk if I had been a fan in the 1930s, that Gehrig may have been my favorite player. He is my favorite type of professional athlete.

I recently read a book on the history of polio in America, and I think someone could write a good book about ALS in America also. It would be a lot tougher since it doesn't seem like there will be a cure for ALS anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by wamby
    I have Babe Ruth Launchung the Legend but haven't sat down and read it yet.

Re: Gehrig in 1939: The thought of a player getting four hits at the big league level while sufering from an advanced case of ALS is just mind-boggling to me.
    I know Wamby. But that 1938 season. Both gut wrenching and heart warming when you look bac on it. Him struggling and not really knowing why. His muscles just not reacting the same way they once used to. Him ordering lighter bats. The numbers he was still able to put up in '38 are friekin' incredible to me.
    Originally posted by Bill
    Randy,
    If I didn't already know you so well, I'd almost swear you were a tad partial to a player named George Henry. His friends sometimes called him, Babe. Say it ain't so, Randy!
    A tad? I try to remain unbiased, but GHR makes it so hard with what he did.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Re: Gehrig in 1939: The thought of a player getting four hits at the big league level while sufering from an advanced case of ALS is just mind-boggling to me.
    Now that's what I call tenacity.

Bill

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I second that, except I came away believing 1938 was

A close second for me might be Babe's 1920. Aside from the actual numbers he put up, he had a ton of pressure on him from many angles (although he probably never felt it). He battled various injuries/illness and still did what he did. He was busy shooting a movie and did what he did. He shattered his own HR record. He had a 26 game hitting streak despite being intentionally walked and pitched around quite often. As late as early August he topped out with a .391 BA. Did I mention the actual numbers? :o
    I have Babe Ruth Launchung the Legend but haven't sat down and read it yet.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied

A close second for me might be Babe's 1920. Aside from the actual numbers he put up, he had a ton of pressure on him from many angles (although he probably never felt it). He battled various injuries/illness and still did what he did. He was busy shooting a movie and did what he did. He shattered his own HR record. He had a 26 game hitting streak despite being intentionally walked and pitched around quite often. As late as early August he topped out with a .391 BA. Did I mention the actual numbers? :o
    Randy,
    If I didn't already know you so well, I'd almost swear you were a tad partial to a player named George Henry. His friends sometimes called him, Babe. Say it ain't so, Randy!

Billy Boy

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    I thought the most interesting part of Luckiest Man was when it started discussing ALS and how it affected Gehgig. I've come away from it thinking that the most amazing season an American professional athlete ever had on the field was Gehrig in 1939.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I thought the most interesting part of Luckiest Man was when it started discussing ALS and how it affected Gehgig. I've come away from it thinking that the most amazing season an American professional athlete ever had on the field was Gehrig in 1939.

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
    Robert Creamer spent many years researching his magnum opus on the Babe--a book almost unanimously viewed as an unsentimental, accurate and definitive bio of Ruth, and viewed by many (including S.I. and me) as the greatest bio of any American sports figure ever. At the beginning of the book, Creamer tells of a chat with a friend, after he'd finished his zillion or so research hours. The friend asked him if Ruth was a s---. Creamer told the friend of a chat he had with one contemporary of Ruth's who was fully aware of how exasperating Ruth's immaturity, incessant foul mouth, uncontrollable hedonism, etc., could be.
    Couldn't agree with you more about Creamer's work. For me, no question the best sports bio ever written. Most Babe fans know about his downfalls. Most also know of his accomplishments. Creamer peeled back the layers without pulling any punches, giving a true picture of the man. Just amazing presentation.

I especially enjoyed the beginning part where he describes the Shore/Shawkey discussions and how neither had any particular reason to be fond of Babe, yet they were. I think it was one of those guys who said "Sometimes people got mad at him, but I never heard of anyone who didn't like Babe Ruth."

As far as "Luckiest Man" goes, I liked the book, and didn't think it was too harsh on Babe at all. Not to say I didn't sense a tint of dislike for Babe, or a tint of slant toward diminishing what he truly was, but for the most part, I thought it was fair. Here's a paragraph from page 84.

"Ruth was one of the nation's most beloved celebrities in large part because he was so human. Most of the nation's famous men were actors, which meant that fans rarely glimpsed their true personalities. On-scren, Douglas Fairbanks was a buccaneer and W.C. Fields a curmudgeon. Off-screen was anybody's guess. But Ruth was always the Babe - bigger than life and yet real as life. Sometimes he homered; sometimes he struck out. Sometimes he was witty; sometimes dense. Sometimes he visited kids in hospitals; sometimes he was wheeled in on a gurney. His fallibility made him more appealing."

The slight tint there obviously being the gurney comment.

Also your comments about Gehrig's life being boring is spot on. Without ALS, there wouldn't be much of a book to write about Lou. Something this piece from "Luckiest Man," written by Paul Gallico hits on, although Gallico clearly puts his own slant on things. Btw, this is from the chapter of Eig's book titled, "Sinner and Saint."

"The most astonishing thing that has ever happened in organized baseball is the home run race between George Herman Ruth and Henry Louis Gehrig. Gehrig, of course, cannot approach Ruth as a showman and an eccentric, but there is still time for that. Lou is only a kid. Wait until he develops a little more and runs up against the temptations that beset a popular hero.

Ruth without temptations might be a pretty ordinary fellow. Part of his charm lies in the manner with which he succumbs to every temptation which comes his way. That doesn't mean Henry Louis must take up sin to become a box office attraction. Rather one waits to see his reactions to life, which same reactions make a man interesting or not.

Right now he seems devoted to fishing, devouring pickled eels, and hitting home runs, of which three things the last alone is of interest to the baseball public. For this reason it is a little more difficult to write about Henry Louis than George Herman. Ruth is either planning to cut loose, is cutting loose, or is repenting the last time he cut lose. He is a news story on legs going about looking for a place to happen. He has not lived a model life, while Henry Louis has, and if Ruth wins the home run race it will come as a great blow to the pure."

BHN, have you read the bio from Brother Gilbert called "Young Babe Ruth: His Early Life and Baseball from the Memoirs of an Xaverian Brother" ?
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 05-19-2006, 08:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnGelnarFan
    replied
    The Gentle Giant

This one's rare. I can only find 5 copies for sale on the Internet. I'll look for the Rusty Staub:Expos Book as well. Thanks!

Originally posted by dgarza
    Frank Howard

Frank Howard, the gentle giant,
    Albert Hirshberg

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Upcoming bios to look out for:

Tris Speaker by Charles Alexander

Tris Speaker by Opie Otterstad

Pete Alexander by John C. Skipper

Eddie Collins by Rick Huhn