61*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tmorss9
    Good catch on Tiger Stadium, efin. In 1961, the stadium seating and facades were predominantly green, In the movie, they were shown in it's current blue. I think the shot the Tiger Stadium scenes after they had torn down and repainted all the Yankee Stadium stuff. The other stadiums don't look like themselves because they were filmed at the LA coliseum.
    Actually I was thinking about all of the green that was showing alongside the blue at Tiger Stadium, it didn't seem right having both colors showing through.
    One shot you had the blue upper deck, then you had the green painted walls, then back to blue, all meant to blend together...just didn't seem right.

Regarding the other stadiums, the Coliseum did a good job of doubling but the digital editing didn't blend well with the sets. They could have done better with those "stadiums" but they looked like they were more concerned with "Yankee Stadium" than anything else.
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

I just saw 61* for the first time recently and enjoyed it very much. I can't say it was one of my favorite baseball films ever but it told an interesting true story quite well. Barry Pepper as Maris was the spittin' image!

The press and Mickey Mantle didn't come out looking so good! I know there are some adult viewers of the film who were genuinely upset with the depiction of Mantle; it exploded the "positive myth" passed on to their kids as they were watching it together. Oh well.
      Last edited by moldyoldie; 03-09-2006, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by moldyoldie
        The press and Mickey Mantle didn't come out looking so good! I know there are some adult viewers of the film who were genuinely upset with the depiction of Mantle; it exploded the "positive myth" passed on to their kids as they were watching it together. Oh well.
        That was intentional and with the blessing of his family. They wanted it to be out in the open, it wouldn't be Mickey if it wasn't added.
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

One of my all-time favorites.
          Custom Made Wood Bats and Bamboo

Comment

61* is currently an HBO On-Demand selection, so anyone with On-Demand will be able to see it.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by East Coast Bat Co
              One of my all-time favorites.
              East Coast Bat Co: I just saw 61* last night and I agree completely with you. Barry Pepper was Roger Maris! Brownie31

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie despite the fact that it as been quite a while since I saw this movie (I think I lent it out and haven't got it back yet--not to fret, I got game 7 of the 2001 WS back after 5+ years of lending it to someone ).

I thought putting the movie between segments of McGwire breaking the record in '98 was a good touch and the casting was extremely well done.
                RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

I bet if Crystal made it today, he would have re-thought even including the Big Mac pseudo-epilogue.

I'm not a hardcore tar and feather the steroid users guy but just thinking about what Maris had to endure, and how it was destroyed is kind of unsettling. A heroic performance has been replaced by a dubious one in the minds of the public. In a sense, that's the greatest tragedy of this whole explosion.
                  THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
                    I bet if Crystal made it today, he would have re-thought even including the Big Mac pseudo-epilogue.

I'm not a hardcore tar and feather the steroid users guy but just thinking about what Maris had to endure, and how it was destroyed is kind of unsettling. A heroic performance has been replaced by a dubious one in the minds of the public. In a sense, that's the greatest tragedy of this whole explosion.
                    Agreed. Good post.

There should be an asterick posted in the record books for the guys who hit 60 plus HR's on steroids, McGwire, Sosa and Bonds.
                    It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
                      A heroic performance has been replaced by a dubious one in the minds of the public. In a sense, that's the greatest tragedy of this whole explosion.
                      It's actually now several very much dubious performances (with McGwire and Mr. Bonds leading the way), but yes, I agree that may be the greatest tragedy of this whole sordid affair.

Comment

61*

Best movie Iv ever seen....

Cav
                        You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the $%#%! plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X