Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baseball magazines

hi guys.

can any of you recommend a decent weekly of fortnightly baseball magazine that i could order from the states?

i'm not keen on sports illustrated or ESPN for some reason.

i get the street and smiths annual every preseason, its a quality publication.
    'that ball is high, it is far, it is gone'

Originally posted by South Bronx
    hi guys.

can any of you recommend a decent weekly of fortnightly baseball magazine that i could order from the states?

i'm not keen on sports illustrated or ESPN for some reason.

i get the street and smiths annual every preseason, its a quality publication.
    Too bad we couldn't pick up a time machine cheap.

But if you're into baseball history, you can get The Sporting News from way back yonder on PDF all at your fingertips.

paperofrecord.com
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

thanks i'll check it out. whats the deal with the time-machine stuff? lol

Comment

thanks i'll check it out. whats the deal with the time-machine stuff? lol
        Baseball publications are a joke now and to get anything decent you have to go back a few years but I think you'll be happy with over 100 years of The Sporting News.

I use it for a lot of research.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

ah, get you now. still nothing in a physical form which is bought en masse weekly/fortnightly?

Comment

There's baseball weekly but I'm not even sure its entirely devoted to baseball any more.
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes
              There's baseball weekly but I'm not even sure its entirely devoted to baseball any more.
              It's not, it's now called "Sports Weekly" and is at least half football, plus I believe they've started covering NASCAR now, as well. Too bad, back when it was all baseball, it was quite a magazine.

I don't know of any weekly or bi-weekly baseball-only publication at this point. I think the internet and a shrinking market pretty much killed them.
              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

from putting sports weekly into google i got magazinecity.com, it shows 'sports weekly' as a usa today publication. is that the one? it also has becketts baseball sporting weekly and baseball digest.some are only monthly though. anyone know anything about them?
                Last edited by South Bronx; 09-25-2006, 12:53 PM.

Comment

from putting sports weekly into google i got magazinecity.com, it shows 'sports weekly' as a usa today publication. is that the one? it also has becketts baseball sporting weekly and baseball digest.some are only monthly though. anyone know anything about them?
                  Beckett is a sports card pricing guide, with talk of the sporting memorbilia industry. It's monthly.
                  Baseball Digest is as likely to have historical articles as articles about current players or teams. It's monthly. Day to day game coverage takes a deep backseat.
                  For what it's worth today, Sporting News may be the best, although it has turned away from baseball in the last few years. There's as much NASCAR coverage as baseball, while other forms of auto racing get zero mention. Football is king for that mag now. It's still better than the gloryhounds that run ESPN or SI. The writers of Sporting News won't put themselves in the story, for the most part.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

just noticed that the subscription sites i've been on only post sports weekly to US addresses, but will post almost everything else worldwide. a bit strange and definately of no use to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                      It's not, it's now called "Sports Weekly" and is at least half football, plus I believe they've started covering NASCAR now, as well. Too bad, back when it was all baseball, it was quite a magazine.

I totally agree, it was a great magazine.. It really did go downhill IMO when they merged football into... I was in the middle of a subscription when they did this and I was so turned off by it I never renewed my subscription...
                      "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
                      ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball Guru
                        I totally agree, it was a great magazine.. It really did go downhill IMO when they merged football into... I was in the middle of a subscription when they did this and I was so turned off by it I never renewed my subscription...
                        Yeah, the switch to covering football killed it for me, too. I used to take a train an hour a day (each way) to work, and baseball weekly really helped the train ride go much quicker on one of those days every week.
                        Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X