ESPN Classic never shows baseball games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Classic never shows baseball games

anyone else notice this? they show countless old boxing matchups, NFL Films, NBA's Greatest Games, even an occasional golf tournament

but they never show old baseball games, nor do they ever do Sports Century biographies on baseball players

You were expecting 3-4 hour baseball games? They host the events in Cooperstown, and they've done tons of profiles of MLB players, including HoF players.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/classic/index

Here's their schedule: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvl...ule?network=18

I'm also moving this to the TV forum, since that seems more appropriate.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Espn Classic

Originally posted by blackout805
      anyone else notice this? they show countless old boxing matchups, NFL Films, NBA's Greatest Games, even an occasional golf tournament

but they never show old baseball games, nor do they ever do Sports Century biographies on baseball players
      espn classic is not as good anymore. you are right they dont show any old baseball games anymore and they dont show any old hockey games either.i dont watch it as much anymore.:radio
      LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

I wish they would show the old Home Run derby shows, they were great. And it's always fun to see old Wrigley Field in LA.

Comment

just went through their january listings and not one baseball game - they only repeated the same 15-20 anyway - i emailed them asking about showing some old web gem of the year shows a while back - they never answered

Comment

I'd forgotten to mention, if you have Tivo, if trying to auto-schedule profiles on baseball stars, you'd use:

Title: SportsCentury
            Category: Sports
            Subcategory: Baseball

I'm not sure how other DVRs work, but you'll have to figure those out separately.

It's worth noting that there's only about 1 more week left in the regular NFL season, so they're focusing now more on past NFL greats, as we enter the pro football playoffs.
            Last edited by Mattingly; 12-19-2005, 10:20 PM.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

definantly. I can think of a bunch that they could show and have people sit for the whole 3 hours.
              1. Roger Clemens 1st 20K Game
              2. 1988 WS Game 1 (Kirk Gibson Walk Off!)
              3. 2004 ALCS Game 5 (Papi w/ the Walk-Off)
              4. 1986 WS Game 6 (As Much as I Hate It) (Screw Buckner)
              5. Pete Rose 4,192
              6. 1975 WS Game #6 (Carlton Fisk!)
              7. 7/24/2004 Yankees @ Red Sox (The A-Rod/Tek Brawl)
              8. 2001 WS Game 7
              ""I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball."
              -Pete Rose

Comment

espn classic does do things seasonally but they used to have baseball all year anyway (here and there) - i've actually been reading their schedule every month for at least 3-4 years and noticed a big drop off probably 2-3 months ago - in fact i didn't even look at december's schedule because they hadn't been doing baseball in a while so i figured they would show anything in december that i would want to tape

it's the pre-1980 games that draw my interest - unfortunately their library is mighty slim

Comment

Didn't they play Baseball Weekly or something at like 7 in the morning (Central Time Zone)? I remember watching it before school, now I leave at 6:40 for High School. I could think of a bunch of cool stuff they could show. They never have any documentaries on baseball either. I go to On Demand under HBO for documentaries. They don't always have baseball though. They should also find really old games from like the 30's or 40's and play them even if nothing exciting happened. I bet people would watch that.
                  "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Agreed, they've pretty much ruined it. Unfortunately, there are hardly any MLB games available on tape before the late 60's, but plenty from the 70's and you're right, they hardly ever showed those or college football from that era. Also used to show old MLB highlight films from 50's & 60's,plus they would also show old Roller Derby and pro wrasslin' matches, which were funny to watch. Now they have all this crap like "Classic Now" and 5 Reasons You Can't Blame So & So and those 2 dorks on at 9pm, who are funny for about 5 minutes. I do like the "Arliss" reruns though. But I rarely watch the channel anymore.
                    It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Even when ESPN Classic showed those baseball games, practically all of them were edited, anyway. I think the final straw for me was when they added that sports ticker. Haven't watched that crap since.

If you want pre-1980 baseball broadcasts that are complete, go to my site.

Comment

Who cares about baseball when you can watch the 1997 Spelling Bee not once but twice tomorrow?

lol
                        "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
                        ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball Guru
                          Who cares about baseball when you can watch the 1997 Spelling Bee not once but twice tomorrow?
                          Word.
                          Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
                          Astros Daily

Comment

It's pretty much a seasonal thing with ESPN Classic as far as I can see.

The Bowling binges and "Cheap Seats" marathons are getting a bit old, andd they really haven't broke any new ground with Sportscentury. They are doing a lot on current athletes and that to me takes the "classic" out of the channel. There are a lot of athletes they could still do.

Baseball

Jimmie Foxx (Definitely)
                            Lefty Grove
                            Whitey Ford
                            Phil Rizzuto
                            Al Kaline (Definitely)
                            Combo: Willie, Mickey and the Duke
                            Lou Boudreau
                            Robin Roberts
                            Richie Ashburn

(Voices of the game week)
                            Red Barber
                            Jack Buck
                            Ernie Harwell
                            Harry Caray
                            Mel Allen

Dick Allen
                            Ernie Banks
                            Mike Schmidt (maybe they did this one already?)
                            Ken Caminiti
                            Tony Gwynn
                            Don Drysdale
                            Milt Pappas (If you read his book you would agree)
                            Lou Brock
                            Ron Santo
                            Joe McCarthy
                            Alex Rodriguez

Football (Most I wanted to see have been done)

Otto Graham
                            Y.A. Tittle
                            Sammy Baugh
                            Bobby Layne

Hockey

Goalies week

Terry Sawchuk
                            Glenn Hall
                            Tony Esposito
                            Ken Dryden
                            Grant Fuhr

Defenseman week

Red Kelly
                            Doug Harvey
                            Larry Robinson
                            Pierre Pilote
                            Denis Potvin

Dave "The Hammer" Schultz
                            Mark Messier
                            Brad Park
                            Ted Lindsay
                            Jean Beliveau

Basketball

None that I can really think of they have done a very good job with Basketball IMO

Agree with the choices? let me know what you think, feel free to generate your own list.

Take Care....

Comment

Sounds like a good list. I remember liking it when watching a few times, but didn't have the money to up my cable for just that one channel; I watch hardly any TV anyway, and now noe at all.

I saw the 1980 World Series Game 6 just before I became a huge fan. This was back in the late 1990s, though, and I figured maybe it would get better as they found more relics from thepast.

It sounds like instead, they want to make you think anything that happened 5 minutes ago is already a classic :-(

When will these stations learn thaat you can't make money if everyone is like everyone else? The key to making a name for yourself is finding a niche that's unique. There are already a bunch of sports things focusing on current stuff. (I could say the same int he TSN thread.)

However, if there aren't that many games available...well, there should still be some

ANd hey, if they think black and white would be boring, if they made the colors accurate, I wouldn't even mind watching a colorized version of a game from the 1950s or earlier. It doesn't have to be perfect - it can be fsorta like the way color TV was in the early days, from what I've seen they just couldn't get the contrast right or something in some of those shows from the first year or two of color.)
                              If Baseball Integrated Early - baseball integrated from the beginning - and "Brotherhood and baseball," the U.S. history companion, at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Baseballifsandmore - IBIE updated for 2011.

"Full House Chronology" at yahoo group fullhousefreaks & fullhouse4life with help of many fans, thanks for the input

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X