X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stray Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by steve rogers View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I watched the whole thing. That save by Pete Rose to save an error from Bob Boone is one of the best plays ever. Right there with Jeter's relay in the 2001 playoffs.

Scott
    How about the pumped up Tug McGraw. :hyper:

Leave a comment:

• steve rogers
    replied
    Originally posted by Stray Cat View Post
    They are currently showing the Royals Phillies 1980 World Series game 6.
    It's a real blast from the past. Disco music, Pete Rose, George Brett, afros, UL Washington
    with a toothpick, astroturf......
    :hyper:
    Thanks for posting that. I watched the whole thing. That save by Pete Rose to save an error from Bob Boone is one of the best plays ever. Right there with Jeter's relay in the 2001 playoffs.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by Redondos View Post
    Even when ESPN Classic showed those baseball games, practically all of them were edited, anyway. I think the final straw for me was when they added that sports ticker. Haven't watched that crap since.

If you want pre-1980 baseball broadcasts that are complete, go to my site.
    Do you have a list of what you want? Not sure if I'd have anything but ya never know

Leave a comment:

• Stray Cat
    replied
    They are currently showing the Royals Phillies 1980 World Series game 6.
    It's a real blast from the past. Disco music, Pete Rose, George Brett, afros, UL Washington
    with a toothpick, astroturf......
    :hyper:
    Last edited by Stray Cat; 05-31-2008, 12:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CAV
    replied
    Originally posted by Redondos
    Even when ESPN Classic showed those baseball games, practically all of them were edited, anyway. I think the final straw for me was when they added that sports ticker. Haven't watched that crap since.

If you want pre-1980 baseball broadcasts that are complete, go to my site.
    How did you get all of these on tape before the vhs vcr was a standard recording device in all of our homes? Did you work for NBC or a NBC affiliate?
    What video format are these games on? (VHS, DVD, or something else)

Leave a comment:

• Erik Bedard
    replied
    And I don't even like the bios!

Two of the first things I saw on ESPN Classic were a bio of Sandy Koufax and an old 1988 Cubs game... no baseball since.

Leave a comment:

• bhss89
    replied
    They showed one today . . .

Leave a comment:

• tmorss9
    replied
    Thats right, usually during the all-star break they do a marathon of the HR derby shows. They'll probably start showing a good bit of baseball programming in the last week of march, going into opening day.

But like someone mentioned before, I'm really tired of seeing last weeks USC football or Duke basketball game on there as an "instant classic"

Leave a comment:

• Williamsburg2599
    replied
    Originally posted by bluejaysfan
    We have ESPN Classic Canada and at first when it originally started broadcasting we'd get alot of baseball. They played the 1992 and 1993 World Series on the 10th anniversary of them happening and then stopped showing baseball all together. But, I've noticed they're showing baseball now, good on them. Alot of people have fond memories of the Jays glory days and even the Expos glory days.
    The expos had glory days? hmmm

Leave a comment:

• Williamsburg2599
    replied
    Originally posted by chiefpaddy
    I wish they would show the old Home Run derby shows, they were great. And it's always fun to see old Wrigley Field in LA.
    right before the homerun derby they usually show all of them. im not sure its on classic or 2 though.

Leave a comment:

• bluejaysfan
    replied
    We have ESPN Classic Canada and at first when it originally started broadcasting we'd get alot of baseball. They played the 1992 and 1993 World Series on the 10th anniversary of them happening and then stopped showing baseball all together. But, I've noticed they're showing baseball now, good on them. Alot of people have fond memories of the Jays glory days and even the Expos glory days.

Leave a comment:

• DTF955
    replied
    Good point, I'd forgotten they'd be taken with different technologies.

Leave a comment:

• Redondos
    replied
    Originally posted by DTF955

However, if there aren't that many games available...well, there should still be some

ANd hey, if they think black and white would be boring, if they made the colors accurate, I wouldn't even mind watching a colorized version of a game from the 1950s or earlier. It doesn't have to be perfect - it can be fsorta like the way color TV was in the early days, from what I've seen they just couldn't get the contrast right or something in some of those shows from the first year or two of color.)
    It's one thing to try to colorize film. Quite another to colorize kinescopes. And when you consider that the TV cameras were taking shots in less than ideal lighting conditions in an outdoor setting, you will realize that any attempt to colorize old baseball telecasts would be futile and hopeless.

Leave a comment:

• Gashouse6
    replied
    I've seen an old Big Red Machine game on ESPN classic.

Leave a comment:

• Rome Colonel
    replied
    [QUOTE=64 Will they next be showing old ladies playing slot machines?[/QUOTE]

I hope they aren't reading this thread.

Noticed recently that they were showing bowling from 1974 and it appeared that some people in the audience were smoking.

Occasionally they will have an interesting fight from the 50s but I agree that it's gone downhill.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X