Baseball TV coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball TV coverage

Which network do you think has done the best TV coverage of baseball over the years and which do you think has done the worst?

I think NBC was the best because "Game of the week" was classic and they had the best names IMO (Kubek, Garagiola, etc.) call the games.

I'm not much of a FOX fan because of all the glitz, etc. (and Tim McCarver) they put into the game.

So let's sounds off here.

i don't really have a worse - i can deal with Fox even though i am not a Tim McCarver fan (the only time i ever liked McCarver was when he did Mets games on WWOR-TV, and even then i think it was more because he was in a booth with Ralph Kiner) - i kinda feel about them the way i felt about ABC, and even for the most part ESPN (yeah even Chris Berman) because they broadcast baseball i can learn to deal with announcers of questionable ability....

but i agree - NBC so far is still the tops - Gowdy, Kubek, Garagiola, and Scully (& Costas) - it could be that my memories are clouded by the rose colored glasses of nostalgia, but i have yet to come across any announcers on any national network that come close - (i'm going to be interested to see what TBS does next year with their Sunday games - i stopped watching Brave broadcasts for the most part in the last couple of years, other than an occasional 'well its baseball and nothing else is on to watch' but watching them do games with other teams is going to be unique)

Comment

Originally posted by ACrank
      but i agree - NBC so far is still the tops - Gowdy, Kubek, Garagiola, and Scully (& Costas) - it could be that my memories are clouded by the rose colored glasses of nostalgia, but i have yet to come across any announcers on any national network that come close - (i'm going to be interested to see what TBS does next year with their Sunday games - i stopped watching Brave broadcasts for the most part in the last couple of years, other than an occasional 'well its baseball and nothing else is on to watch' but watching them do games with other teams is going to be unique)
      When TBS does begin televising their national Sunday games, I'm pretty sure Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren will not be a part of it. They'll probably stick with being the voice of the Braves, as WTBS will continue airing regular coverage of Braves games on their UHF signal in the Atlanta area. For the national games on the cable feed, TBS will probably be looking for new blood. Maybe Chip Caray and Marv Albert?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason R. Maier
        Which network do you think has done the best TV coverage of baseball over the years and which do you think has done the worst?
        Worst is FOX.

Best? Look at my avatar and take a wild guess.

Comment

Doesn't matter which station a game is on as long as I can turn on the tube and enjoy a game.

Comment

I also remember reading that ABC did Sunday afternoon games in the 80's . . were those ratings about the same as "Game of the Week" on NBC?

As for Monday Night Baseball, what was the highest rated telecast? Was it the one where Fydrich shut out the Yankees or the one played after Munson's death? And I do know in '89, it was moved to Thursday nights to try and get a leg up on Cosby Show in teh ratings

Comment

I'm not excited about TBS's baseball deal. I enjoy watching baseball in HD, even FOX's upconverted widescreen is ok, but as far as I know, TBS is only available in HD in the Atlanta area.
              Dan

Comment

I liked NBC...Tigers games on Channel 4.

I also miss Monday Night Baseball.
                Place your quote here for just $5.00

I hate pink bats...Tigers losses...White Sox...Yanks...and Chevrolet!

Comment

Originally posted by TigersFanB406
                  I liked NBC...Tigers games on Channel 4.

I also miss Monday Night Baseball.
                  The image of the Tiger at the end of the game with an icepack on its head, weakly meowing, then grumbling after a loss, as well as the Tiger ripping up the opposing team's logo ater a win, is indeliable. Changing to Pass, as they did, changed so much in terms of actually viewing the game.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

LOL I remember that. Those were the days. I remember they had a Tigers weekly kind of show before Saturday afternoon games. So much different now.
                    Place your quote here for just $5.00

I hate pink bats...Tigers losses...White Sox...Yanks...and Chevrolet!

Comment

Anyone want to trade baseball games?

Comment

I think anyone in the Ohio area might agree that STO (Sports Time Ohio) is the worst. They are a relatively new station that broadcasts the Indians games. The production is amateurish at best, the picture is usually so blurry it gives me a headache, and the pre and post-game shows (along with the other "programming") look like they are filmed in someone's basement. The Indians deserve better than this!
                        :radio Please check out my collection of vintage baseball recordings:

http://www.oldtimesports.net/users/AWilliams

Comment

Originally posted by Ludeboy View Post
                          Anyone want to trade baseball games?
                          Sure, if you're still around
                          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by Redondos View Post
                            When TBS does begin televising their national Sunday games, I'm pretty sure Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren will not be a part of it. They'll probably stick with being the voice of the Braves, as WTBS will continue airing regular coverage of Braves games on their UHF signal in the Atlanta area. For the national games on the cable feed, TBS will probably be looking for new blood. Maybe Chip Caray and Marv Albert?
                            Chip Carey is the main play by play guy for TBS with Ron Darling and Buck Martinez rotating doing the color.. Craig Sager will serve as on-field reporter for select games during the season...

Chip is ok but I really enjoy Ron and Buck.... 2 very good color guys IMO..

Like most, I was also a huge fan of NBC... Obviously I liked Joe and Vin but my favorite was always the Kubek/Costas team...
                            "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
                            ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X