Books - Baseball Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books - Baseball Fiction

I found a similar thread on prosportsdaily.com forum page. I thought it was interesting and wouldn't mind seeing it started up on this site:

"Does anyone know of any good baseball fiction out there? I'm looking to expand my collection of the genre. Here are a few good ones to know about:

1. The Natural, Bernard Malamud - one of the most well written books in the genre. It is commonly studied in Literature Courses as high as graduate school. The book blows the movie out of the water!

2. Shoeless Joe, W.P. Kinsella - this is the book that Field of Dreams is based upon. It's an absolute must-read for baseball fans and those that are not illiterate.

3. In the Pen: A Baseball Collection, C.G. Morelli - this is a much more recent book. It's a collection of short stories with some really interesting perspectives on the game. I thought it was very cleverly written and wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the stories adapted for the big screen. Definitely check it out.

Please post any other baseball fiction books that you think are good reads."
    sigpic

Hitting in the Clutch!

Definitely check out Hitting in the Clutch and the sequel Homering in the Clutch by Brad Bauer.

Hilarious, has been described as kind of like a fictional Ball Four for the Maxim crowd.
    I have nothing to do with the books or their author, other than that I've read them both and found them very funny. Laughed out loud many times.

dan

Comment

Mark Harris has a few, including The Southpaw and Bang the Drum Slowly.

Roger Kahn wrote The Seventh Game on top of his nonfiction stuff.

I have it but haven't read it. Is the Willie Mays-tagged Death in centerfield fiction?
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
        Mark Harris has a few, including The Southpaw and Bang the Drum Slowly.

Roger Kahn wrote The Seventh Game on top of his nonfiction stuff.

I have it but haven't read it. Is the Willie Mays-tagged Death in centerfield fiction?
        Bang the Drum Slowly is a good one. I have never read Death in Centerfield but I always thought it was nonfiction. I could be wrong though.
        sigpic

Comment

A great work in this genre is You Know Me Al, by Ring Lardner.

Comment

The Universal Baseball Association is a great one.

Comment

I have heard about Universal Baseball Association. I didn't know if it was good, but i guess I'll have to check it out.
              Save some money- magazine subscriptions

Comment

Has anyone read The Entitled by: Frank Deford? I'm about to start.
                sigpic

Comment

May I suggest Senior Year by Dan Shaughnessy (of the Boston Globe)? It is a new title centered around a father watching his son growing up through baseball, and is a wonderful read for anyone looking to hand down the legacy of baseball passion from one generation to another.

Comment

Getting back to you guys about The Entitled by: Frank DeFord. It's at the top of the lists on Amazon as far as sales are concerned. I'm not finished the book yet, but I have to admit I'm disappointed. There just seems too much focus on current pop culture, and not enough on baseball. Hey, maybe the ending will change my mind, but at this point I'm struggling through it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Anyone ever read Michael Shaara's For Love of the Game? I saw the movie but I heard the book is much better.
                      sigpic

Comment

a new fictionalized memoir

There's this short book out titled "Beast" about a kid who's autistic that overcomes the odds and becomes a hero to his little league team. While it reads like a narrated fiction, as if the story is being told by the kid's coach, I think it's really a true story as it was written by the kid's father. If you like underdog baseball success stories or know someone who's autistic, you'd probably enjoy this story of a young pitcher with autism. It's a quick read--only about 100 pages or so. I think you can find it on Amazon by searching for baseball fiction.

If there really is some autistic kid out there with really good stuff, and who can pitch competetively, it makes me wonder if perhaps the lefty HOF pitcher Rube Wadell could have been autistic afterall.

Comment

Just finished reading The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W.P. Kinsella. This is not quite as good as Shoeless Joe, but still a decent read. Kind of odd, yet normal in that Kinsella sort of way. He does a good job of mixing fiction with history. Only Kinsella can include the 1908 Cubs, Leonardo DaVinci and a mascot midget named Little Walter in the same scene.
                          sigpic

Comment

Recently read In the Pen: A Baseball Collection By: C.G. Morelli. I loved it. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. Even my wife read it and liked it...and she hates when I sit in front of the tube watching baseball. I've never read anything by this author before and I'd like to read more. Does anyone know of any other books by Morelli?

Comment

Originally posted by Shortstop20 View Post
                              I found a similar thread on prosportsdaily.com forum page. I thought it was interesting and wouldn't mind seeing it started up on this site:

"Does anyone know of any good baseball fiction out there? I'm looking to expand my collection of the genre. Here are a few good ones to know about:

1. The Natural, Bernard Malamud - one of the most well written books in the genre. It is commonly studied in Literature Courses as high as graduate school. The book blows the movie out of the water!

2. Shoeless Joe, W.P. Kinsella - this is the book that Field of Dreams is based upon. It's an absolute must-read for baseball fans and those that are not illiterate.

3. In the Pen: A Baseball Collection, C.G. Morelli - this is a much more recent book. It's a collection of short stories with some really interesting perspectives on the game. I thought it was very cleverly written and wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the stories adapted for the big screen. Definitely check it out.

Please post any other baseball fiction books that you think are good reads."
                              I know this is an old thread but any updates? I'm looking for some baseball fiction to read over the summer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X