Books - Baseball Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apbaball View Post
    I know this is an old thread but any updates? I'm looking for some baseball fiction to read over the summer.
    I'd posted this on another thread, but you may want to try "Calico Joe," by John Grisham. It's his first baseball book, and a beauty.

Comment

Here is a link for something on Amazon which you will probably love ( I did!)

www.amazon.com/If-I-Never-Get-Back/dp/0452283728

The book is by Darryl Brock, If I Never Get Back, and its about a fictional trip back in time to 1869 as the author travels with the Reds of 1869-1870 during their long winning streak and dominance of the early days of professional baseball. I read it in the summer of 1995 or 1996, and its in paperback now, with 65 Amazon reviews by fans of the book. Check it out, or borrow by Interlibrary loan, and you won't be disappointed.
      Last edited by abolishthedh; 05-27-2012, 07:12 PM.
      Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

I really enjoyed Deadball by David Stinson
        Baseball Journeyman

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
          Here is a link for something on Amazon which you will probably love ( I did!)

www.amazon.com/If-I-Never-Get-Back/dp/0452283728

The book is by Darryl Brock, If I Never Get Back, and its about a fictional trip back in time to 1869 as the author travels with the Reds of 1869-1870 during their long winning streak and dominance of the early days of professional baseball. I read it in the summer of 1995 or 1996, and its in paperback now, with 65 Amazon reviews by fans of the book. Check it out, or borrow by Interlibrary loan, and you won't be disappointed.
          Agreed. I bought this in the bargain bin at the local bookstore a few years after it came out and I was surprised how good it was. A $1.99 well spent.

Comment

Interesting to note that The Art of Fielding was not on here. I made it only halfway through before returning it to the library. Anyone else try it and like it, or dislike it as I did?

Comment

Originally posted by cincyredfan1972 View Post
              The Universal Baseball Association is a great one.
              Yes, THE UNIVERSAL BASEBALL ASSOCIATION, J HENRY WAUGH, PROPRIETOR is one of the best fiction books I've ever read in any genre. The type of socially, isolated man who becomes obsessed with baseball is portrayed here with unnerving accuracy as he invents a Strat-O-Matic like game which consumes what little life he has.

Comment

In addition to non-fiction I usually add a few baseball novels to my summer reading list. I've seen a few of these titles mentioned. Anyone read any of these and any opinions?
                I won't be able to read all of them this summer but would like to narrow this down to best 3 or 4

The Cuban Prospect by Shawver
                The Might Have Been By Schuster
                Going the Distance by Joyce
                The Longest Walkby Marty
                Nine Bucks a Poundby Bailey
                Suitcase Sefton by Feldman
                Fade Away by Jansen
                Tyrusby Creevy
                A pitch for Justice by Kasselman

Comment

I read a baseball fiction book 20+ years ago but I can't recall what it was. Can anyone help?

I think it was some kind of mystery centering around the 1869 Red Stockings or that era - not Troy Soos.

Comment

If I Never Get Back by Darryl Brock

http://www.amazon.com/If-Never-Get-B...never+get+back

It is highly recommended as far as baseball fiction goes.

Comment

A time-travel story, not a mystery, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Pere View Post
                        That's it. I remember now. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Shortstop20 View Post
                          Has anyone read The Entitled by: Frank Deford? I'm about to start.
                          Read it last year and loved it.
                          I wish he would write more baseball fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Pere View Post
                            A little of both actually. Not a murder mystery like Soos but there is an adventure/mystery/thriller aspect to it.

Comment

Originally posted by strike123 View Post

If there really is some autistic kid out there with really good stuff, and who can pitch competetively, it makes me wonder if perhaps the lefty HOF pitcher Rube Wadell could have been autistic afterall.
                              I'm on the autism spectrum. I see very little about Waddell to make me think he was autistic.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X