Published Authors - A Little Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Published Authors - A Little Advice

how do you go about securing the right to use photographs on the cover of a book?

The publisher will take care of that.
    "I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

Comment

I would suggest contacting the photographer or the publisher of the photograph as a first step.

Comment

Cover Photos

In the case of my book on the 1940 Reds ...the Reds cooperated by sending me a great many photos from their library for use without any charge - to which I am forever grateful ( I thnk they were extraoridnary in this and I don't believe it is common practice for all major league teams). The actual cover photo used by the publisher for my book is one of three I selected from the Baseball Hall of fame - which was very inexpensive (I thnk it was $25-$50 per photo for use in the book and they needed to receive a photo credit) but you can contact the Hall of Fame directly and they will spell out their policy. I don't recall the specifics.

Other photos (from newspapers or photographers or from MLB) can be extremely pricey ($250 and up)and if the publisher doesn't have a photo budget it can hit you in the wallet.

Comment

If you self-publish, you bear the burden to pay for the photos. In my case, my co-author and I had a collage of photos ready only to find out a newspaper wanted $250 for the rights to use one of those photos. We wouldn't pay that price so we had the printer change the cover at the last minute. When I look at the cover today I think of what it might have looked like.
          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

a little advice

It depends how old they are. If the are in "public domain" nobody has the rights. I bought several pictures for my book on Hugh Jennings on Ebay

Comment

can you explain? how old do they have to be?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK
                If you self-publish, you bear the burden to pay for the photos. In my case, my co-author and I had a collage of photos ready only to find out a newspaper wanted $250 for the rights to use one of those photos. We wouldn't pay that price so we had the printer change the cover at the last minute. When I look at the cover today I think of what it might have looked like.
                Tony
                Forgive me if you have already written on this already, but which book did you write and can you give a brief synopsis on same?
                Johnny
                Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

Comment

Public domain

I'm not sure how old. Most of the Jennings pictures in his Hall of Fame file are Public Domain. You have to pay to get a print made, but you don't have to ask for or pay for rights.
                  As I said I bought the same pictures I had seen at the Hall on E-Bay for much less than the Hall cost.
                  Try the Library of Congress website. You can do a search for images. They will make prints or even send e-copys for a resonable cost.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X