Has anyone read "Veeck as in Wreck"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone read "Veeck as in Wreck"?

I'm in the process of reading this now. I can't put it down. I always knew Bill Veeck was a classic character, but wow! He's also a great story teller. He is interesting beyond belief. I'm not sure I've ever read an autobiography that has kept me glued to the pages like this one.
    I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Originally posted by sschirmer
    I'm in the process of reading this now. I can't put it down. I always knew Bill Veeck was a classic character, but wow! He's also a great story teller. He is interesting beyond belief. I'm not sure I've ever read an autobiography that has kept me glued to the pages like this one.
    One of the best sports books of all time. There is so much I haven't read, I am reluctant to go back to a book I have already finished. That being said, your comment has me thinking of going back to read Veeck as in Wreck. I would also recommend to you Ted's autobiography, My Turn at Bat.

Comment

Originally posted by stan opdyke
      One of the best sports books of all time. There is so much I haven't read, I am reluctant to go back to a book I have already finished. That being said, your comment has me thinking of going back to read Veeck as in Wreck. I would also recommend to you Ted's autobiography, My Turn at Bat.
      I've read that as well. Great book, then again, I'm a bit of a TW fanatic, so it isn't any wonder that I really enjoyed it. I'm about half way through Veeck right now, I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

Comment

I've read about half of the book. I got it to use in a project for a Public Relations class. It was very entertaining. I need to finish it.
        46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Excellent book. Bill Veeck was truly a marketing genious.
          Baseball is not a popularity contest. It's about one thing.

Winning.

Comment

That is a classic baseball book. Veeck was way ahead of his time. The other major league owners hated him. Another good book is Charlie Finley's book. Veeck and Finley used to drive the other owners crazy.
            Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
            www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

My father-in-law grew up in the same building where Veeck lived when he ownded the Indians. He said you couldn't meet a nicer man. From what he tells me, Mr. Veeck was very generous with tickets for the youth in the building.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X