ESPN -- The new MTV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN -- The new MTV?

Remember in the early 80's MTV actually played music videos. ESPN is headed down that same road. They are still showing sports, but its getting really skechy.

What the heck is this "Who's Hot", and who cares? How do you compare Shaquillie Oneil and Jeff Gordon on any level. Espn is becoming a charactature (sp?) of itself. All the people that do Sports Center have to have their own schtick. You watch ESPN and think they invented sports. Their coverage of the hot dog eating contest as a major event is ridiculous. Their coverage of the spelling bee is just as ridiculous, but.......and this is a big but.......they actually covered a - rock - paper - scissors tournament. I am not kidding...I was flicking channels and thought it was a joke. Grown people throwing out paper and screaming "bring it on". Trash talking in rock-paper-scissors. Beautiful!!

Part of the problem is I just dont think their is a need for 3-4 channels of 24 hours worth of sports. You have to start making this stuff up.........and they do.

I also blame ESPN for all the trash talking, homer watching, and loss of fundamentals in all sports. Everyone wants to be on a highlight reel. So its all about me me me

Me personally, I watch ESPN News..its a very quick version of Sportscenter. They give you the facts & highlights without Stuart Scott screaming "boooooooooo yaaaaaaaa...he was getting his swurve on". Give me some numbers a few highlights and I can figure out the rest.
    Last edited by Ubiquitous; 07-24-2007, 08:14 AM. Reason: language

I agree with most of what you said. I was talking to a friend earlier when they were doing the 'Who's Hot' thing. How the heck do you try and compare Reggie Bush to Derek Jeter. Then hearing them talk about David Beckham doing what Gretsky did? Please...
    Originally posted by Domenic
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

I watch ESPN mainly for one reason, the ticker. I've been a boxing fan almost as long as I've been a baseball fan, and they still do show live fights on a weekly basis. I have no use for repeated showing of the 2003 World Series of Poker, which seems to be on every ESPN channel.
      The recent NBA draft was a major lowpoint. I actually enjoy watching that than most games. But when they deemed it more important to have the cameras focus on Stephen A. Smith blathering on about whatever problems he had with the New York Knicks or some other self-serving issue,to the point where the actual picks were ignored for several minutes in the first round, you have to wonder what the director/producer/corporate brass is thinking.

During the recent Yankees-Giants series, there was one guy on ESPN News who pointed out each time another game was highlighted that it wasn't the Yankees-Giants game they were talking about. Whatever the reason he did that, whatever happened to just talking about the game you're talking about?
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

For some ten years now, I have been annoyed that ESPN doesn't show highlights of games like they used to. At first this was OK, because Baseball Tonight was around to fill in. Today Baseball Tonight fills its schedule with some other interesting stuff, but if all you want is highlights then the highlights can be hard to come by. It can be annoying.

This summer, I've taken to watching ESPNNews. This channel seems to take an old school approach to showing what made ESPN great in the first place, and I love it. But the real problem is lack of competition. Back in the 1980s, "back in the day", there was great competition between CNN and ESPN late at night. Each night the channels would show great highlights, even of the same games, but with differing commentary. This is what we really need today.
        Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

One other thing.....Chris Berman doing the Home Run Derby needs to be outlawed in the Unites States. There is 100 homers hit and he has to scream something...most times BACK BACK BACK ITS NOT COMING BACK.

Chris you bafoon....only 99 more homers to call.

Comment

I still remember back when ESPN was a fledgling enterprise, the concept of an all-sports network was well-received by many, however it didn't have the rights to air MLB, the NFL or the NBA and it was confined to 'sports' such as horseshoes, billiards, amateur bowling and even a late-night championship chess match!! I will never forget thinking, "THIS is SPORTS?"

Well, those days are back again! What comes around goes around. Eveything comes back into style if you wait long enough. Now, in addition to crap like that, they have poker (Bleah! I know some people like to watch that, but I find it irretrievably boring, especially the way the announcers try to spice up the 'action' with clever banter), darts (have you seen THIS yet??) and fishing. I am looking forward to the next few years, when there will no doubt be a Monopoly tournament ("The Monopoly halftime scoreboard is brought to you by Parker Brothers..."), followed by Tiddlywinks from Las Vegas and All-Star Women's Hopscotch.

Now if only MTV would revert back to when it first started, maybe they would actually start showing music videos again!!
            Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

I agree, ESPN-does more entertainment and does less sports. I also remember when MTV played music, A&E was a high brow channel, the Food Network did cooking, the History channel had history shows rather than Ice road truckers, nothing historical about that,etc. TV just sucks, even the channels I used to escape to are terrible now.
              shine shine shine like gold mine..here comes the drunk monk with a quart of Ballantine

Comment

ESPN has become a parody of itself. They have deemed it more important that we listen to clueless talking heads than showing actual events and highlights. And if you aren't one of their pet teams you can go days without seeing your team on BBTN or SC.
                Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

The only thing I like about ESPN these days is their website. That's where I get most of my sports news from.
                  46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Same here. I watch for the occasional quality Baseball game, then Baseball Tonight, but not much else. The website is my main thing though...
                    The 5th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club:
                    WITH:
                    PureBaseballFan
                    Atlanta Braves Freak
                    SamtheBravesFan
                    AznInvasion

sigpic

Comment

I think ESPN had a shot to redeem themselves until that Who's Now thing.

Comment

These are all good points. I remember reading an article about which said there's a huge conflict of interest at the center of ESPN. On the one hand, they want to provide fair, objective reporting of sports. On the other hand, they have a financial stake in making show that ratings for sports are high and that athletes are popular.

IT's fairly obvious, especially recently, how much idol worship goes on in ESPN. When TIger Woods won the first golf open after his father died, you would have thought he was the second coming of Jesus if you watched Sportscenter.

Comment

Who's Now?

I don't get the idea of a contest on a sports network where you go by popularity. When Derek Jeter was up vs. Reggie Bush (?), the main reason they said "Yes" is because he had dated Mariah Carey and many other famous women. And the viewers voted for him because everyone in America and Canada (and some of Mexico), except for Mets and Red Sox fans, thinks that Derek Jeter is so amazing. Of course, he wins. They stick Barry Bonds in the tournament, just because of all the rumors. It doesn't make sense. Also, in my opinion, Jeter is only the 3rd best NY shortstop.
                          1)Jose Bernabe Reyes
                          2) Alex "A-Rod" Rodriguez- remember, he was a shortstop.
                          3) Derek "Stupid" Jeter

Comment

Originally posted by Tacosaregood/metsguy234 View Post
                            I don't get the idea of a contest on a sports network where you go by popularity. When Derek Jeter was up vs. Reggie Bush (?), the main reason they said "Yes" is because he had dated Mariah Carey and many other famous women. And the viewers voted for him because everyone in America and Canada (and some of Mexico), except for Mets and Red Sox fans, thinks that Derek Jeter is so amazing. Of course, he wins. They stick Barry Bonds in the tournament, just because of all the rumors. It doesn't make sense. Also, in my opinion, Jeter is only the 3rd best NY shortstop.
                            1)Jose Bernabe Reyes
                            2) Alex "A-Rod" Rodriguez- remember, he was a shortstop.
                            3) Derek "Stupid" Jeter

Yea well they base the show on popularity and buzz of the field and Derek Jeter gets talked about a lot

gosh i hate that show

But I'm guilty of watching it and ESPN 24/7 even though it's the Barry, A-rod, Tiger, Kobe, Pacman, Yankees, and Michael Vick channel. I get a lot of my stats just from watching ESPN all day and I have no idea how any of the Giants are doing because I watch their highlights and all it shows is Barry! OMG HE WENT 0-4.. WITH 1 WALK. WHO GIVES A DAMN!!!!!???? His teammate probably went 3-4 with 4 rbi and they don't care. And then now all they talk about now is stupid Michael Vick and I'm from Georgia and I still don't like him. I'm a bengals fan. Show Carson Palmer every once in a while. No, he's not like Peyton or Vick. WELLL HE'S A STAR AINT HE AHAAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHhh!!! ESPN MAKES ME WANT TO TEAR MY HAIR OUT.

Haha, thank you .
                            Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

ESPN has certain people that they want to pump and it's obvious. I remember Lebron's rookie season and every highlight was about him, it was at the front of the broadcast, he could have went 2-11 with 10 points and they'll show the lay-up and jump shot he made.

They make news on what they CHOOSE to make news out of. If they find a story they want to run with, they'll pump it incessantly until everyone is talking about it.

I've also heard that alot of the on-air people aren't allowed to give conflicting opinions or bash certain starts. I know Harold Reynolds used to get into hot water for that.

Originally posted by ssbguyincognito View Post
                              These are all good points. I remember reading an article about which said there's a huge conflict of interest at the center of ESPN. On the one hand, they want to provide fair, objective reporting of sports. On the other hand, they have a financial stake in making show that ratings for sports are high and that athletes are popular.

IT's fairly obvious, especially recently, how much idol worship goes on in ESPN. When TIger Woods won the first golf open after his father died, you would have thought he was the second coming of Jesus if you watched Sportscenter.
                              Baseball Happenings
                              - Linking baseball's past, present and future.
                              http://baseballhappenings.blogspot.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X