Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN -- The new MTV?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    From Wikipedia (the most reliable source in the world)

    ESPN started with the debut of SportsCenter hosted by Lee Leonard and George Grande on September 7, 1979. Afterwards was a pro slow pitch softball game. The first score on SportsCenter was from women's tennis.

    To help fill 24 hours a day of air time, ESPN aired a wide variety of sports events that broadcast networks did not show on weekends, including Australian Rules Football, Davis Cup tennis, professional wrestling, boxing, and additional college football and basketball games. The U.S. Olympic Festival, the now-defunct competition that was organized as a training tool by the United States Olympic Committee, was also an ESPN staple during this time.
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by redlegsfan21 View Post
      From Wikipedia (the most reliable source in the world)

      ESPN started with the debut of SportsCenter hosted by Lee Leonard and George Grande on September 7, 1979. Afterwards was a pro slow pitch softball game. The first score on SportsCenter was from women's tennis.

      To help fill 24 hours a day of air time, ESPN aired a wide variety of sports events that broadcast networks did not show on weekends, including Australian Rules Football, Davis Cup tennis, professional wrestling, boxing, and additional college football and basketball games. The U.S. Olympic Festival, the now-defunct competition that was organized as a training tool by the United States Olympic Committee, was also an ESPN staple during this time.
      IIRC. they also showed business/stack market programming in the mornings as well in the 80s.
      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

      Comment


      • #93
        i actually like tha way it is (espn) i always try to catch jim rome, A.R.H. and P.T.I, and i go to sleep watchin mike and mike...

        Comment


        • #94
          Earlier in this thread, or in some other thread last year, I mentioned that ESPN suffers today because of the lack of competition. Back in the 1980s, on CNN there was a great half hour of sports coverage from 10:30-11:00 CST, and again at 12:30 AM for updates. The anchors of the CNN sports show included Gary Miller, Fred Hendricks and some other tall guy with curly hair. The threesome were a match for ESPN, and I think it helped keep ESPN in line to have the competition.

          The fall of ESPN is a story of what happens when a company evolves into a monopoly. The controlling interests in such a company would rather mail it in by hanging out on golf courses, golf tournaments and probably travel with their wives than stay in touch with the public and the tastes of the common sportsfan.
          Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

          A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

          Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
            And the Travel Channel, and late night on NBC, and.....

            I really don't think anyone really watches it anymore, I haven't in at least 2 years.

            Poker on the Travel Channel, what a joke, a card game on a travel channel. I love that channel when they do their thing, places of interest..................but a card game.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by giantsrule View Post
              i actually like tha way it is (espn) i always try to catch jim rome, A.R.H. and P.T.I, and i go to sleep watchin mike and mike...
              Jim Rome is a blogger/youtube type of personality and doesn't deserve his own show. The guy is best known for being loud and having an opinion... anything else? Worst TV personality of all time.

              Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption are nice for me because I rarely get to see "news and events" about sports, so they both cover hot topics. These shows are also silly and make me smile from time to time.

              SportsCenter was fantastic, when it did only highlights and top plays and such. Now, with all the added fluff, it's just not as appealing to me anymore.
              Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Lin_Kuei_Fighter View Post
                When I hit "info" for sportscenter

                "A hip, emmy winning daily program of homers, touchdowns, and slam dunks."

                Replace "Slam Dunks" with breakaways!

                Am I the only person on BBF who loves his hockey?
                Nope. I love it just as you do. You can probably tell from my location.
                The fall of ESPN is a story of what happens when a company evolves into a monopoly. The controlling interests in such a company would rather mail it in by hanging out on golf courses, golf tournaments and probably travel with their wives than stay in touch with the public and the tastes of the common sportsfan.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by Allie Fox View Post
                  I had to dig this one up because I'm so sick of EvilSPNs lack of baseball coverage.

                  If anything EvilSPN is nothing more than NFL Network II. I can't understand how NFL Live runs 12 months a year and Baseball Tonight only gets seasonal coverage at best. Even when it's on during the season, if a game runs over, Sportscenter gets its full hour/hour and a half, then Baseball Tonight gets cut short so they can run a full episode of NLF Live. I can only imagine it will get worse when MLB Network starts in January and most fans will have another place to get their baseball news. Then they can run show NFL and NBA 24/7/365. . . well. . . in between Poker, Spelling Bees, Who's Number One?, Mike and Mikeetc.
                  One ESPN executive, John Skipper, said recently that the network is considering making Baseball Tonight a year round show. This could be a huge plus for ESPN and baseball fans in general.

                  Of course it could mean more Yanks-Sawx blabber we've come to expect from the ESPN non-creative garbage.
                  The fall of ESPN is a story of what happens when a company evolves into a monopoly. The controlling interests in such a company would rather mail it in by hanging out on golf courses, golf tournaments and probably travel with their wives than stay in touch with the public and the tastes of the common sportsfan.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Pikachu732001 View Post
                    One ESPN executive, John Skipper, said recently that the network is considering making Baseball Tonight a year round show. This could be a huge plus for ESPN and baseball fans in general.

                    Of course it could mean more Yanks-Sawx blabber we've come to expect from the ESPN non-creative garbage.
                    I'll believe it when I see it. However with the start of MLB Network, I doubt I'll ever watch EvilSPN again other than for Sunday/Monday Night Baseball and All*Star festivities.
                    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Stumanji View Post
                      Jim Rome is a blogger/youtube type of personality and doesn't deserve his own show. The guy is best known for being loud and having an opinion... anything else?
                      Don't forget this.
                      Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

                      Comment


                      • i have to agree wit this


                        Sportsnet in canada recnetly added this thign called "the Inbox" where tehy have youtube vidoes off the internet, which by the way are totally un sports related in a attempt i guess to bring in more viewers


                        its realy bad

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Griffey24-30 View Post
                          That Barry rant that you threw in there isn't fair. I WANTED TO B*TCH ABOUT THAT! You stole my rant. I agree with you 100%. Some guy who no one knows can pinch hit for Vizquel or something and hit a walk off grand slam and the top story about the game will be "Barry went 0 for 2 and was walked and Selig wasn't in attendance." this whole thread is so true. ESPN is getting sucky and almost all of TV sucks.

                          Someone earlier said about even other stations such as the history channel and A&E suck. What about these news channels (FOX News, CNN, etc.)? I DON'T CARE ABOUT LINDSAY LOHAN'S DUI OR PARIS HILTONS ARREST! The only thing I want to know about celebrities like that is if they're coming to my town so I can go see them and slap them and tell them they're one of the reasons why kids these days have no morals or good roll models.
                          is it any wonder why so many people despise Barry Bonds? Its bad enough for him that he is somewhat of a jerk (or a huge one, whatever you think) but then we get the Barry overload on ESPN. And ESPN does this for a lot of athletes where I end up getting sick of those players. Don't get me started about Tim Tebow and Josh Hamilton.

                          They love to build people up and tear them down.
                          "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

                          -Bill James

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                            Earlier in this thread, or in some other thread last year, I mentioned that ESPN suffers today because of the lack of competition. Back in the 1980s, on CNN there was a great half hour of sports coverage from 10:30-11:00 CST, and again at 12:30 AM for updates. The anchors of the CNN sports show included Gary Miller, Fred Hendricks and some other tall guy with curly hair. The threesome were a match for ESPN, and I think it helped keep ESPN in line to have the competition.
                            Fred Hendricks? You mean Fred Hickman didn't you. The curly-haired guy was Nick Charles. And how you could forget Bob Lorenz(in the later years)?

                            The fall of ESPN is a story of what happens when a company evolves into a monopoly. The controlling interests in such a company would rather mail it in by hanging out on golf courses, golf tournaments and probably travel with their wives than stay in touch with the public and the tastes of the common sportsfan.
                            Well said there. So well said, I'm going to use it for my new sig file.
                            The fall of ESPN is a story of what happens when a company evolves into a monopoly. The controlling interests in such a company would rather mail it in by hanging out on golf courses, golf tournaments and probably travel with their wives than stay in touch with the public and the tastes of the common sportsfan.

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X