Baseball Anime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Anime

I know for a fact that most people on this forum don't watch Japanese Anime or maybe even cartoons made in the good old USA but of recent, I have watched 3 anime series that focus around the great game of baseball and I would like to present these shows to my fellow baseball fans.

Major
    This is my favorite of the three anime. Major follows the life of pitcher Goro Honda. This story takes place during Goro's first grade year, Little League years, middle school years, and his high school years so far. The story is a little unrealistic but so was Kirk Gibson in the '88 series. The plot is simple and is fun for baseball fans to watch.

More About the Series (Wikipedia)
    Watch the Series (Free but Requires Registration, Crunchyroll)

Princess Nine
    This story mainly follows Pitcher Ryo Hayakawa as she joins an All-Girls High School Baseball team. This is a good anime though the show seems to drag on. The team faces trials such as earning the respect of the baseball community. This show is mainly for the female audience but it also attracts baseball fans.

More About the Series (Wikipedia)
    Watch the Series (Episodes 1-10, YouTube)
    Watch the Series (Episodes 11-26, YouTube)

Ōkiku Furikabutte
    This is a fairly new series that follows another pitcher, Ren Mihashi who is pretty much the worst type of pitcher (one with no confidence) but has great control. His catcher, Takaya Abe, develops Mihashi into a great pitcher. This show is for more mature audiences (13+ years).

More About the Series
    Watch the Series (Free but Requires Registration, Crunchyroll)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will answer the best I can.
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

I am a "Ghost in the Shell" man myself.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Pretty cool. I just don't like the use Manga in Japanese Team Logos:
      Orix Buffaloes

Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles

Too cartoony

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
        Pretty cool. I just don't like the use Manga in Japanese Team Logos:
        Orix Buffaloes

Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles

Too cartoony
        It adds a very "Japanese" flavor to the teams decor, though
        TomC
        Author of The Smoking Lounge
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by redlegsfan21 View Post
          I know for a fact that most people on this forum don't watch Japanese Anime or maybe even cartoons made in the good old USA
          WOW, that is a bit harsh. I have been watching Anime before it was a staple on Cartoon Network and read Manga since the begining of Lone Wolf and Cub or even Blood of The Immortal....
          Always collecting Yankees...
          Especially: Jeter, Posada, Munson, Melky Cabrera, Mattingly

Check out:
          Waiting For The Mail Man: Our TTM Site
          My Baseball Card Site

Good Traders : Dalkowski110, dmbfan, Freakazoid1014, actually I have had too many good trades to list everyone...

Comment

Originally posted by bryanspellman View Post
            WOW, that is a bit harsh. I have been watching Anime before it was a staple on Cartoon Network and read Manga since the begining of Lone Wolf and Cub or even Blood of The Immortal....
            Well, I was talking about this particular forum since most the people here are not really people who would watch animation.
            Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

I like Milk Chan. And enjoyed Steamboy.

And I always watch whenever they show a Tex Avery cartoon, made here in the good old USA.

Anyway, has anyone else seen the three Anime redlegs mentioned in the thread opener? They sound interesting.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

There are a lot but I haven't taken the time to watch all of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...nime_and_manga

Comment

I have cartoons on practically day and night and I read Naruto and Yu-Gi-Oh! mangas, so I'm another one of "those" guys.
                  46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

I'm watching Major right now, I'm in the third season. My gf is a huuuge fan and has read the manga like 10 times so she recommended it to me. It's really fun.

H2 is another manga/anime/drama. I watched the drama version and it was good, but the focus wasn't completely on baseball. But it was really good.

Touch is the most famous baseball manga maybe, I plan on reading it when my Japanese skill gets better.

Comment

Four absolutely great anime's not mentioned yet are "Howl's Moving Castle". "Kiki's Delivery Service", "Spirited Away" and "Appleseed".
                      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                        Four absolutely great anime's not mentioned yet are "Howl's Moving Castle". "Kiki's Delivery Service", "Spirited Away" and "Appleseed".
                        Concur on the first three. Am not familiar with "Appleseed".

have any of those appeared on Cartoon Network at all, redlegs? Or even G4?
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                          To be clear, these have nothing to do with baseball.

Among the ones that do, my daughter liked Princess Nine a few years ago (because of the baseball theme, not merely as a "female audience").
                          Last edited by Pere; 12-24-2008, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X