Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick

I just finished reading Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick by Paul Dickson. I would highly recommend this book. It kept my interest from beginning to end, and gives you a good sense of who Bill Veeck was beyond being a revolutionary promoter in baseball. Although if he were alive today we would disagree on some things politically, I still feel that I still would get along just fine with him and be friends. I did not know a whole lot about Veeck before I read the book beyond Eddie Gaedel and Disco Demolition Night, but he is now one of my favorite baseball characters.

Buy Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick: Read 70 Kindle Store Reviews - Amazon.com
    "Last season, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!" -Jack Eliot

Bill Veeck is/has been my favorite baseball personality for a long time. If you enjoyed this book, you MUST read "Veeck As In Wreck" and "The Hustlers Handbook", both written by the man himself (mostly). He also wrote one about his career outside of baseball running a racetrack, "Thirty Tons a Day". I haven't read that yet.

Comment

Yes, “Veeck (As in Wreck)” is an all-time classic and “The Hustler’s Handbook” not far behind.

(Warning: there is a significant amount of repetition between the two books, about the only real criticism I would have. Since the books were only separated about 3-4 years in publication, you’d have thought that co-author/ editor Ed Linn would have gone through and taken out some of the redundant Satchel Paige/ Branch Rickey anecdotes. But the books are still great anyway.)

Seek out the revised/ updated editions from the 1980s which contain epilogue chapters covering Veeck’s late-career return to the White Sox.

VAIW is far more “famous,” but THH contains chapters on the Yankees sale to CBS in 1964, the Dodgers/ Giants bolt for California in 1957, and also a chapter containing a diary by Harry Grabiner which shed much new light (at the time) on the Black Sox scandal.

The two Veeck/ Linn autobiographies are must companions to the Dickson book. The Dickson book goes into more details on subjects including his long time leg injuries/amputations and other health problems, his failed first marriage and the career of his father, William Veeck Sr., who was quite a significant figure in baseball himself.
      Last edited by StarStar00; 04-06-2018, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X