No announcement yet.

Best [and Worst] Portrayls of Ballplayers in Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on looks alone, I have always felt that the young Robert DeNiro looked strikingly similar to
    Honus Wagner. Just check out the top pic of this webpage and you'd probably agree: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/p_wagner5.shtml

Likewise, I've also found there to be quite a resemblance between Sean Bean (http://ultimategalleries.haveabanana.net/bean/) and Christy Mathewson (http://www.thedeadballera.com/Cards/mathewsoncard.html).
    Last edited by rsuriyop; 05-25-2006, 05:39 PM.
    "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
    -Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by 64Cards
      It's too bad they didn't make a Ted Williams bio in the 60's, with James Garner playing him, pretty strong resemblence, after Ted was around 30.
      If they ever make the Jackie Robinson bio-pic, I think James Garner would make a good Branch Rickey. I can't see Jamie Foxx as Jackie Robinson though.

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
        Remember it's Hollywood, those folks play characters much younger and older than their real age. 47 would mean he can pick up Ruth(realistically) around his early 30s- during his prime. Ruth's younger years can be played by a different person, especially if you include his Baltimore and Boston years in the film...
        I'd like to see Jack Black play Babe Ruth. He'd probably have to be doubled in the athletic scenes though.

Comment

I've read that when Alfred Hitchcock was casting Foriegn Correspondent he wanted Gary Cooper for the lead but Cooper didn't want to appear in a thriller. When Cooper declined, Joel McCrea was cast instead. About a year alater, Cooper appeared in Pride of the Yankees.

In a way I think it's too bad that the casting of these two roles was reversed. I just don't get Cooper as Lou Gehrig. Despited his aw-shucks persona, Gehrig was born and bred in New York City. I don't get the country boy portrayal by Cooper. McCrea was great in Foreign Correspondent and in my mind, he would have given a much more authentic portrayal of Gehrig.

If I was casting Lou Gehrig today, I would look at a couple of Brits: Damian Lewis or Kevin McKidd.
          Last edited by wamby; 05-26-2006, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
            I'd like to see Jack Black play Babe Ruth. He'd probably have to be doubled in the athletic scenes though.
            lol, Jack Black is like 5'7" isn't he? Then again, most hollywood actors are short as heck, but they someone manage to make the appear taller.

Comment

I think it's universally agreed that Goodman and Bill Bendix were both bad choices to play the Babe, in 2 terrible movies. As noted, Stephen Lang wasn't bad in the made for tv movie about Babe.
              Maybe its just me, but i actually liked Goodman as the Babe - i am going to have to dig that thread up to find out what the problems were with his portrayal.

Bendix was horrible tho, a bad actor having to deal with Babe Ruth as a consultant on the movie trying to make himself come out as a big dumb guy with a heart of gold.

I vaguely remember the Lang movie.

Comment

The Babe

William Bendix was a good actor but he did suck as the Babe. I'm sure the real Babe must have been pulling his hair out trying to make him look like a ballplayer.

Originally posted by ACrank
                Maybe its just me, but i actually liked Goodman as the Babe - i am going to have to dig that thread up to find out what the problems were with his portrayal.

Bendix was horrible tho, a bad actor having to deal with Babe Ruth as a consultant on the movie trying to make himself come out as a big dumb guy with a heart of gold.

I vaguely remember the Lang movie.

Comment

Christopher Lee (http://www.moviemarket.co.uk/Photos/...eb0b091036db0d) as Connie Mack (http://encarta.msn.com/media_4615160...nnie_Mack.html) is another good one.
                  "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
                  -Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
                    William Bendix was a good actor but he did suck as the Babe. I'm sure the real Babe must have been pulling his hair out trying to make him look like a ballplayer.
                    Ok that makes sense. It always fascinated me how someone could think that Bendix could be the Babe from age 18 or so until his death, without a noticable change in much of anything - makeup, etc.

Comment

Barney

Nip It In The Bud! Nip It!!

It doesn't have a single thing to do with baseball, but RIP, Don Knotts...Barney Fife was the most hilarious character in the history of tv.

Comment

Bendix

You are SO right Crank! It makes me laugh just thinking about Bendix in a striped sweater trying to pull off 18!!

Originally posted by ACrank
                        Ok that makes sense. It always fascinated me how someone could think that Bendix could be the Babe from age 18 or so until his death, without a noticable change in much of anything - makeup, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                          lol, Jack Black is like 5'7" isn't he? Then again, most hollywood actors are short as heck, but they someone manage to make the appear taller.
                          I have no idea how big Jack Black is, but he is a guy that I can see sitting in a St Louis whorehouse with a highball in one hand and a naked girl on each leg like Ruth used to do.

I could also see Robby Coltrane as the Babe, but he is probably too old now.

Comment

The guy who played the Babe in Pride of the Yankees was pretty realistic.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                            Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

My favorite was Coop in Pride of the Yankees. He made me feel like I knew the Iron Horse personally. Noone can match that performance.
                              An interesting note- Because they were unsuccessful in teaching Coop to hit Lefty, they had to tweek the film to show him at bat as Gehrig.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                              Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Originally posted by christian gentleman
                                Regards 64Cards!

Ray Liotta was great as Joe Jackson in FOD, even though they messed up the hitting throwing fact. In real life he batted left and threw right. I think in the movie he threw and hit left.
                                What about the fact that he didn't look like Joe Jackson at all? Maybe from a very big distance.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X